Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

I'm not going to rank all the prospects until after the draft in a few weeks.  However here is a solid look at where the pipeline stands before the off-season truly begins.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-prospect-depth-strong-in-rochester-elsewhere-if-top-guys-graduate-to-nhl/article_e7740b8e-f17f-11ec-986e-637b951e36d0.html

As a reminder my definition of a prospects is a player 24 or younger to start the season, who is still waiver exempt.  (I don't utilize a number of NHL games played as a limiting factor because players develop unevenly and can still be sent down to develop further as we saw with Thompson (106 NHL games) and Mitts (114).   By this definition Krebs, Murray, and Weissbach are prospects while R2 is not.  The only guy this definition puts in limbo is Cozens.  He is still waiver exempt for another 30 games, but it's pretty safe to say he is a full time NHL, not a prospect.  The biggest difference between Cozens and Tage/MItts is that Dylan finished his sophomore season in the NHL while Tage and Mitts finished in the AHL.

Given this definition, the top of the heap is Power, Krebs, Quinn, JJP and Levi.  After that the list is in flux. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm not going to rank all the prospects until after the draft in a few weeks.  However here is a solid look at where the pipeline stands before the off-season truly begins.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-prospect-depth-strong-in-rochester-elsewhere-if-top-guys-graduate-to-nhl/article_e7740b8e-f17f-11ec-986e-637b951e36d0.html

As a reminder my definition of a prospects is a player 24 or younger to start the season, who is still waiver exempt.  (I don't utilize a number of NHL games played as a limiting factor because players develop unevenly and can still be sent down to develop further as we saw with Thompson (106 NHL games) and Mitts (114).   By this definition Krebs, Murray, and Weissbach are prospects while R2 is not.  The only guy this definition puts in limbo is Cozens.  He is still waiver exempt for another 30 games, but it's pretty safe to say he is a full time NHL, not a prospect.  The biggest difference between Cozens and Tage/MItts is that Dylan finished his sophomore season in the NHL while Tage and Mitts finished in the AHL.

Given this definition, the top of the heap is Power, Krebs, Quinn, JJP and Levi.  After that the list is in flux. 

I would add Samuelsson to that list. And if Cozens and Mitts are included it is fair to say that this group (other than Levi) will be playing next season in Buffalo. And what is really encouraging is that all these players have plenty of upside. Get some goalie reinforcement/s and the near future looks bright. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I would add Samuelsson to that list. And if Cozens and Mitts are included it is fair to say that this group (other than Levi) will be playing next season in Buffalo. And what is really encouraging is that all these players have plenty of upside. Get some goalie reinforcement/s and the near future looks bright. 

Mitts isn’t on the prospect list.  Samuelsson will be on the list because last season was his rookie year and he is waiver exempt, but I don’t have him in my top 5 right now.  That doesn’t mean I don’t love Mattias, I just don’t see him having as much upside as the 5 players listed. 

While not ranked here is a general run down on our prospect pool.  (N) = NHL; (A) = AHL; (U )= USHL/NCAA, (C) = CHL; (E) = Europe, (R) = Russia [Based on where they finished last regular season).

Goaltenders - UPL (A)*, Portillo (U) and Levi (U)

Defense - Power (N), Samuelsson (N), Johnson (U), Laaksonen (A), Novikov (R), Lyckasen (E)

RW - Quinn (A)*, JJP (A)*, Rosen (E)**, Nadeau (C)***, Rousek (A), Huglen (U), Sardarian (U), Pekar (A)

LW - Kisakov (R)**, Poltapov (R), Bloom (C)***, Weissbach (A), Birio (A), Murray (A), Cederqvist (E)**, Marjala (C)

C - Krebs (N), Costantini (U), Kozak (C), Von Barnekow (E), Konecny (E)

* - projects to the NHL next season

** - signed for the AHL next season

*** - signed but not yet eligible for the AHL

Distribution based on regular season end league 

NHL - 3

AHL - 9

CHL - 4

USHL/NCAA - 6

Europe - 5

Russia - 3

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Adams mentioned Tyson Kozak twice, once this AM with Howard Simon and then with Paul Hamilton. With the latter Adams mentioned that Kozak made strides and would be eligible for Rochester based on His Age if He signs an ELC. 

I think one more year in Portland would be better though. 

Also Adams is meeting with CAA to discuss Ryan Johnson, who has confirmed He will be at Dev Camp 

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned Tyson Kozak twice, once this AM with Howard Simon and then with Paul Hamilton. With the latter Adams mentioned that Kozak made strides and would be eligible for Rochester based on His Age if He signs an ELC. 

Also Adams is meeting with CAA to discuss Ryan Johnson, who has confirmed He will be at Dev Camp 

Wonder if that's because he's still mulling whether to sign this off-season or if it's to give 4 other teams a good look at him in a non-NCAA setting.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Wonder if that's because he's still mulling whether to sign this off-season or if it's to give 4 other teams a good look at him in a non-NCAA setting.

Development camp is not the Prospects tournament. College players can attend development camp. Prospects tournament is inSeptember and college and Euro players miss the tournament because their seasons are ramping up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Good to hear that he will be at Dev camp at least.  Do we know if Portillo will be?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Good to hear that he will be at Dev camp at least.  Do we know if Portillo will be?

Right after confirming Johnson is planning to come, Adams said “everybody” is expected to come.

He then immediately followed that up by specifying Power, Samuelsson, Peterka, Quinn, Krebs and “everyone who is eligible.”

So even though Portillo had specifically been mentioned by Hamilton just moments earlier, it was not clear if “everybody” included Portillo or was just meant to be a catch all for “even players who have already made the Sabres.”

Adams did not address the subject of Portillo directly at all. He addressed a question about goaltending by repeating how much he believes in UPL and talking about how Levi is special.

Read into that what you will. I am.

Further to Johnson, Adams gave the impression that none of his 3 options - signing now, going back to college and signing later, or opting for free agency - has been definitively ruled out and that’s testing his patience a bit, because it affects other potential moves.

I wonder if Johnson is looking at development camp as a way to test his fit and help him make up his mind. It’s literally been 3 years and a lot of changes since he was last here, has it not?

Related, the idea of Samuelson and Power and the rest taking part is exciting. Adams talked about the bonding being important to the growth of the team and central to his plan.

The bridge that guys like Krebs can help map from prospect to player for guys like Rosen and Kisakov (who will be there if his visa comes together) and the class of 22 is invaluable.

As is the introduction to Appert and Donnie and the vibes being created by and around them.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Right after confirming Johnson is planning to come, Adams said “everybody” is expected to come.

He then immediately followed that up by specifying Power, Samuelsson, Peterka, Quinn, Krebs and “everyone who is eligible.”

So even though Portillo had specifically been mentioned by Hamilton just moments earlier, it was not clear if “everybody” included Portillo or was just meant to be a catch all for “even players who have already made the Sabres.”

Adams did not address the subject of Portillo directly at all. He addressed a question about goaltending by repeating how much he believes in UPL and talking about how Levi is special.

Read into that what you will. I am.

Further to Johnson, Adams gave the impression that none of his 3 options - signing now, going back to college and signing later, or opting for free agency - has been definitively ruled out and that’s testing his patience a bit, because it affects other potential moves.

I wonder if Johnson is looking at development camp as a way to test his fit and help him make up his mind. It’s literally been 3 years and a lot of changes since he was last here, has it not?

Related, the idea of Samuelson and Power and the rest taking part is exciting. Adams talked about the bonding being important to the growth of the team and central to his plan.

The bridge that guys like Krebs can help map from prospect to player for guys like Rosen and Kisakov (who will be there if his visa comes together) and the class of 22 is invaluable.

As is the introduction to Appert and Donnie and the vibes being created by and around them.

Agree about Portillo. Seems whenever Adams discusses prospects or goaltending lately, EP is an afterthought if not even mentioned at all. I may well be wrong and hope that I am. But there's something 'not going well' here.

15 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Agree about Portillo. Seems whenever Adams discusses prospects or goaltending lately, EP is an afterthought if not even mentioned at all. I may well be wrong and hope that I am. But there's something 'not going well' here.

What might not be going well is they don’t see him as a legitimate prospect.

As far as development camp attendees, I wouldn’t read too much into into it. Cal Petersen, Alex Iafolo and Drake Caggiula attended multiple Sabre camps and none signed here.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

What might not be going well is they don’t see him as a legitimate prospect.

As far as development camp attendees, I wouldn’t read too much into into it. Cal Petersen, Alex Iafolo and Drake Caggiula attended multiple Sabre camps and none signed here.

Other than Peterson, the others weren’t our picks.

44 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I know that. The point is that they all had a relationship with the team and that still didn’t influence their decision as where to sign. Players like to play. They come to camps.

Prospects go to camps for the ice time, exposure and to network with organizations, scouts, agents etc…

My son has been to a few junior team tryouts and development camps, hoping to make an impression but sometimes just to skate and learn.

• Like (+1) 1

Scott Wheeler of The Athletic offers this on Olivier Nadeau's play at the Memorial Cup:

Oliver Nadeau (Buffalo Sabres): I thought Nadeau was tremendous. He exceeded my expectations and I’ve watched a lot of him. He was making the decisions with the puck. He was around puck shift-to-shift. Took some draws on his strong side to free up Bourque as a top-of-the-circle shooter. He was great along the cycle. He saw through layers for several nice passes, both at five-on-five and on the power play. He’s a PK1 guy for them. He goes to the middle and the front of the net and scored a team-leading four goals because of it. He’s still got a bit of a pitchfork in his skating, but I like the rest as far as B-level prospects go. I’m not sure if he’s an NHLer long term but the Sabres are smart to have signed him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.