The Captain of Your Buffalo Sabres Kyle Okposo, Assistant Captains Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Dahlin

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What happens if you give Kyle an extension. You name him captain and his play drops way off as he's too old and too slow and wants to but just can't. He's knocked right out of the starting line up by Quinn and Peterka and whoever else. So your captain, for all his heart and desire, is sitting in the press box in 2 years and you what? strip him of the C? Brian Gionta all over again. Not a scenario I want to see. 

Give it to the homeboy. Give it to Tuch. Let the team evolve and grow around that stable locked in piece who has already shown his leadership. 

Valid point, but still think Kyle makes sense. If it gets to the point you're talking about, there's always retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

I support Okposo to wear the C.  I would also support Tuch.  I like Dahlin, Girgensons and Couzens for the A, but Couzens may still be a bit young.  He's definitely a future leader.  The only downsides to Okposo, as correctly identified above, are his age and current contract status.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've told you before, Bruins are my B team that I follow when the Sabres suck (so a lot in the last decade). The Ullmark Swayman thing is well documented. 

I do know what has gone on with the Sabres, and I know what Kyle wrote and said, I know all of it. I'm thinking ahead though. Projecting the team forward. Long term stability and a captain who is here long term. 

What happens if you give Kyle an extension. You name him captain and his play drops way off as he's too old and too slow and wants to but just can't. He's knocked right out of the starting line up by Quinn and Peterka and whoever else. So your captain, for all his heart and desire, is sitting in the press box in 2 years and you what? strip him of the C? Brian Gionta all over again. Not a scenario I want to see. 

Give it to the homeboy. Give it to Tuch. Let the team evolve and grow around that stable locked in piece who has already shown his leadership. 

It’s the 4th-liner remark, and the diminishing Okposo as simply a respected vet likely to be traded, and who should not be re-signed that I took issue with.

Anyone paying attention knows Okposo was a key contributor on the ice - both special teams, all situations. Everything I’ve read and seen coming directly from the Sabres - management and players - points to Okposo as the focal point and catalyst for the good vibes this year. 

Adams wanted the captaincy to develop organically this year and it did. In the minds of everyone in and around the organization, Kyle is the captain.

Separately, your concerns about age and decline are valid. I’d counter that with giving the C to anyone other than Kyle right now would make the C a lie.

Edited by dudacek

19 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

DASTARDLY!!

ikr. If it helps, Bruins were my first team when I was a kid. Bobby Orr and all that. Matter of fact first game I ever watched was the St.Louis cup game with the flying through the air goal. How can you not love that? But the Sabres won me over after that with the French Connection when I could get the games on local tv from Buffalo. So the Bruins took the back seat. Only been a few years where it was a tough to watch playoff. For the most part there's been no decision to make, but when we make the playoffs again (sooner than later hopefully) and if we ever play Boston, it'll be Sabres for me. 

But otherwise ya, I know. Seemingly incompatible. 

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s the 4th-liner remark, and the diminishing Okposo as simply a respected vet likely to be traded, and who should not be re-signed that I took issue with.

Anyone paying attention knows Okposo was a key contributor on the ice - both special teams, all situations. Everything I’ve read and seen coming directly from the Sabres - management and players - points to Okposo as the focal point and catalyst for the good vibes this year. 

Adams wanted the captaincy to develop organically this year and it did. In the minds of everyone in and around the organization, Kyle is the captain.

Separately, your concerns about age and decline are valid. I’d counter that with giving the C to anyone other than Kyle right now would make the C a lie.

A lie? I really don't think so. Adams is also all about building for the future and Tuch is the local guy that Adams brought in. Everything I saw from Tuch also spoke leader, even being one of the guys bringing RJ onto the ice on appreciation night. Giving Tuch the C enhances that idea about "guys who want to be here". Not saying Kyle doesn't, just saying Kyle is not the future. 

As for the 4th line objection, I'd say look over just about everyone's projections for next year's line up. Pretty much everybody has Kyle and Girgs on the 4th line. Neither one is the future of this hockey team. As for re-signing, that's a question of how much you think he has left. I'd rather move on than watch the struggling fade out like a Nick Foligno. A 2 year deal in a diminished role sure, no problem. A longer deal at mid to higher level money no thank you, that'll end up going bad. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I still think this would be a big mistake. The guy might be a respected veteran but naming a 4th line player on the downside of his career as team captain would be a huge mistake for team progress. He's not a core player and he's likely deadline trade material. 

I still say it should be Tuch. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've told you before, Bruins are my B team that I follow when the Sabres suck (so a lot in the last decade). The Ullmark Swayman thing is well documented. 

I do know what has gone on with the Sabres, and I know what Kyle wrote and said, I know all of it. I'm thinking ahead though. Projecting the team forward. Long term stability and a captain who is here long term. 

Much of this is fair, and I've been bemoaning KO's play pretty much every year other than this past season, but calling him a 4th-liner isn't accurate.  He was 4th in ice time among Sabres forwards this year.

I don't think they'll give him more than a 1-year extension -- so if they give him the C this summer, that means he'll wear it for 2 seasons.  I think he has enough gas left in the tank for at least 1 of those seasons.  If he's as respected in the locker room as many here think, he'll probably be a pretty good captain for those 2 seasons, after which we'll probably see Tuch, Cozens or Dahlin get it.

39 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I foresee letters on the jerseys of Cozens, Dahlin and Power. That is the future of this team. I'm not sure if Tage can keep up the scoring pace he had last season. I hope he does, but I don't see him as that much of a leader. 

I think people are still carrying baggage from the O’Reilly trade when it comes to Tage.

I thought he conducted himself with the requisite levels of seriousness, swagger and respect for the crest. His work ethic was outstanding, he’s shown he’s got the fortitude to overcome adversity.

More importantly, he led on the ice; when the team needed a goal, he wanted to be the one to deliver and he often did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think people are still carrying baggage from the O’Reilly trade when it comes to Tage.

I thought he conducted himself with the requisite levels of seriousness, swagger and respect for the crest. His work ethic was outstanding, he’s shown he’s got the fortitude to overcome adversity.

More importantly, he led on the ice; when the team needed a goal, he wanted to be the one to deliver and he often did.

He needs to show it wasn't a fluke. I love the kid and hope he pots 50 next year.

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He is the only Sabre that lives in Buffalo Year Round. 

Sign Him to team friendly one year extensions and have a Front Office or Coaching Position waiting for Kyle when He decides to retire. 

Why should he get a front office or coaching position? Does he know how to coach? What are his skills that would help in the front office?  I like Okposo, but he's been mostly a non factor here while earning millions. Does the team really owe him future employment?

I wonder if other teams have so much fan base discussion about naming a team captain.  It really seems over the top.

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Much of this is fair, and I've been bemoaning KO's play pretty much every year other than this past season, but calling him a 4th-liner isn't accurate.  He was 4th in ice time among Sabres forwards this year.

I don't think they'll give him more than a 1-year extension -- so if they give him the C this summer, that means he'll wear it for 2 seasons.  I think he has enough gas left in the tank for at least 1 of those seasons.  If he's as respected in the locker room as many here think, he'll probably be a pretty good captain for those 2 seasons, after which we'll probably see Tuch, Cozens or Dahlin get it.

To reiterate about the 4th liner thing. That's where he was slotted prior to this season (even if people wanted to argue that the Girgs/Okposo/Larsson line wasn't 4th, it was) and pretty much everyone in their line projections or roster predictions for opening day has him with Girgs on a 4th line. But no real point arguing that. 

I agree with you on the extension and then that's the situation I don't want (but may get). It'll have an interim or temporary feel to it and it'll likely mean we're not making any bold moves to become a contender any time soon. It'll be pin steps forward and playoffs won't be in our future for several years yet. That may very well be the plan, but I personally don't think it's necessary. I think we can start winning NOW with a few additions and so I want a long term captain in there now. 

Kyle deserves the C this coming season.  The question is the season beyond and if his play and age dictate he has a spot on the team.  I trust Adams and Granato to make the right call.  

There are emerging candidates for the C.  Tuch, Cozens, Dahlin, maybe even Tage or Power someday.  

Leadership has to come from more players than just those wearing a letter,  Good to see the candidate pool is growing.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Kyle deserves the C this coming season.  The question is the season beyond and if his play and age dictate he has a spot on the team.  I trust Adams and Granato to make the right call.  

There are emerging candidates for the C.  Tuch, Cozens, Dahlin, maybe even Tage or Power someday.  

Leadership has to come from more players than just those wearing a letter,  Good to see the candidate pool is growing.  

I don’t have a problem with giving Kyle the C, even for one year. If he chooses to stay longer then they will more time to see who emerges as the leader. The next C will probably wear it longer than KO, but benefit from the mentoring of a solid character.

• Like (+1) 2

The great thing about Okposo is you do NOT have to give him the 'C' for him to be effective at leading this current team.

-Give him the C and I think you have a good captain for a year.

-Give him the C and tell him if he resigns a new deal next year he may or may not have the C and I think he'll be fine.

-Give the C to someone else and give him a "A" and I think he'll be fine.

-Give the letters to younger guys and ask him to keep being a leader without a letter and I think he'll be fine.

With Okposo, I think, is that you can make decisions on who is or isn't ready to be leaders in the rest of the room and then based on that ask him to take the role you want, and he'll be good no matter what.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

The great thing about Okposo is you do NOT have to give him the 'C' for him to be effective at leading this current team.

-Give him the C and I think you have a good captain for a year.

-Give him the C and tell him if he resigns a new deal next year he may or may not have the C and I think he'll be fine.

-Give the C to someone else and give him a "A" and I think he'll be fine.

-Give the letters to younger guys and ask him to keep being a leader without a letter and I think he'll be fine.

With Okposo, I think, is that you can make decisions on who is or isn't ready to be leaders in the rest of the room and then based on that ask him to take the role you want, and he'll be good no matter what.

Sounds like the best captain a team could have.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Why should he get a front office or coaching position? Does he know how to coach? What are his skills that would help in the front office?  I like Okposo, but he's been mostly a non factor here while earning millions. Does the team really owe him future employment?

I wonder if other teams have so much fan base discussion about naming a team captain.  It really seems over the top.

Well there was an article written about it in the middle of June, so I suppose there is a reason for the discussion.  As far as who gets the C. Let the players name their guy, we know it’ll be Kyle.  Great.  Let’s move on.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.