The Captain of Your Buffalo Sabres Kyle Okposo, Assistant Captains Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Dahlin

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Crosby - Sure

Tavares - No where near the best player on Toronto (Got C to protect the kids)

McDavid - Sure

Ovechkin - Sure

Bergeron - Took over after Chara; doesn't really count as he wasn't a youngster when he got the C

Tkachuk - Little to no competition

Stamkos - Sort of, took over later in his career

Couture - Best player yes but was older and effectively took it from Marleau 

Barkov - Still young but experienced, took over from a vet 4th liner who'd had the prior 3 or 4 seasons

Landeskog - never the best player but a freak of nature with his maturity 

He was the best player before Nathan Mckinnon Arrived

I’m ok with KO as the Captain.  He has seems to have done a very good job of mentoring the kids.  Dahlin as an assist I also agree with. He has matured and he is the most proven of the young home grown talent.  

Not that it really matters, but with Z on the final year of his deal and playing on a line KO, why not give an A to someone in core that organization is committed to long-term like Thompson or Tuch?  

Admittedly KO is also on his last year, but I expect him to be re-signed at some point this season.

6 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Show me another team that has a 4th liner as captain. It’s going to look bad if his game drops off and they have to put the captain in the press box.

Why don't you show us a team w/ a 4th liner as the captain before we show you a 2nd one?

PS - your idea of having rotating A's would never have flown.

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I get this, and it's kind of you to say it, but I also think this tweet (and many of his others, and plenty of his questions at Sabres pressers over the years) are indicative of a type of behavior by Harrington that would explain why seemingly no one can stand him.

More than fair.

It’s self-inflicted, sure. I still feel sorta bad for him.

And that’s coming from someone who used to just *drag* the guy.

I still have him blocked on Twitter. I can’t stand him. 🤪

I think this move clearly acknowledges 3 things:

1.) Adams and Granato do not think it is time to appoint one of the younger players as captain. Either no player has clearly established he is ready for the role or they want to at least wait another year or two until more of the young guys have a chance to show if they are captain material. There is no reason to rush the long-term decision.

2.) The leading candidate for the role long term is Dahlin. However, while Dahlin took huge steps forward last season and earned an “A”, he needs to have another year or two where he plays at that level and where he shows he can add the burden of formal leadership. Giving Dahlin the “C” and then seeing him slide back as a player or crumble under the burden of leadership (not gonna happen) would be a disaster for the player and the team. 

3.) In the interim, there is no point in pretending Okposo is not the captain. He is the team’s undisputed leader. To not make him the captain until the eventual longer-term captain fully emerges is ignoring the obvious and failing to reward a player with something that he has earned. The correct decision and message is to make “the captain” The Captain. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Kyle has been the Captain of this team for the past 2 seasons.  He has been a leader since he arrived.

Others are emerging as leaders and will get their time as / if things continue to progress.

Kyle is the perfect Captain for the next year or two.

I also support the Alternate Captains.

I suspect that Tuch will wear an 'A' in the  event of injury to any of the letter wearers.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.