The Captain of Your Buffalo Sabres Kyle Okposo, Assistant Captains Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Dahlin

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm baffled as to why Tuch wasn't even given the "A", Girgensons over Tuch? I don't mind Okposo, I understand that but not giving Tuch anything at all doesn't sit well for me since Girgensons isn't a ra ra leader type and doesn't lead by example on the score sheet so I don't really understand the logic there.

Tuch was in the room for what 3/4 of a year?  If Z is doing all the things that are right, then it follows the longest tenured Sabre has a letter.   It’s possible Mule has greater leadership skills than Rasmus.  Evidenced by his being named Captain of his team as a sophomore in college.  But Rasmus maintains the ‘A’ based on experience.  Not just on skill.   Tuch is a good candidate next year if Z is not re-signed.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm baffled as to why Tuch wasn't even given the "A", Girgensons over Tuch? I don't mind Okposo, I understand that but not giving Tuch anything at all doesn't sit well for me since Girgensons isn't a ra ra leader type and doesn't lead by example on the score sheet so I don't really understand the logic there.

Maybe they think he is an excellent role model for the young guys.

Girgensons was drafted by Buffalo, has always worked hard, he and the organization have been loyal to each other, he chose to make his home and start his family in Buffalo.

Basically, Girgensons has done all the things that the organization would love to see their current crop of youngsters do.

Both Okposo and Girgensons live in Buffalo full time and have strong roots in the community.  They are a good resource for the young guys trying to get settled in the city.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Okposo & Girgensons wore A's all year when healthy.  When 1 was out, somebody else would wear an A.  Towards the end of Girgenson's recovery, it was typically Dahlin wearing it.  When Z came back, Dahlin kept his A.

Which one, who is still here & expected to be a contributor by management and wore a letter during their best play in years, are you stripping a letter from to give it to Tuch?  What message is that sending to the rest of the team?

Honestly doubt Tuch would take the letter while all 3 are here and still leading.

They could have given the C to Tuch and let them keep their A’s.

24 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

They could have given the C to Tuch and let them keep their A’s.

No.  You only have 3 captains in a game.  You'd be forcing 1 of the other 3 to not wear a letter if Tuch wears the C.  Plus, prettymuch everybody w/ the Sabres says this is Okposo's team.

3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Tuch was in the room for what 3/4 of a year?  If Z is doing all the things that are right, then it follows the longest tenured Sabre has a letter.   It’s possible Mule has greater leadership skills than Rasmus.  Evidenced by his being named Captain of his team as a sophomore in college.  But Rasmus maintains the ‘A’ based on experience.  Not just on skill.   Tuch is a good candidate next year if Z is not re-signed.  

It is what it is I guess, hopefully we can finally make a playoff run! I just wonder what it will look like if were already out of the playoff picture halfway through the season again.

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m at a point where I mostly feel bad for the guy. The tide started to turn when Tim Graham implied that Harrington is basically the fat kid on the playground among the region’s sportswriters - ostracized and mocked by his peers.

I get this, and it's kind of you to say it, but I also think this tweet (and many of his others, and plenty of his questions at Sabres pressers over the years) are indicative of a type of behavior by Harrington that would explain why seemingly no one can stand him.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

No.  You only have 3 captains in a game.  You'd be forcing 1 of the other 3 to not wear a letter if Tuch wears the C.  Plus, prettymuch everybody w/ the Sabres says this is Okposo's team.

They could rotate the As between home and road, like Drury and Briere did with the C. Being a 4th line nice guy doesn’t equate to being captain.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

They could rotate the As between home and road, like Drury and Briere did with the C. Being a 4th line nice guy doesn’t equate to being captain

It's about leadership not what line you play on. Example:Jack you know who.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Every decent team has this situation.  There is more to leading than wearing a letter.  

Agree.  Harrington can go self soothe himself.  It’s not about him. 

Can't speak for every other team. And @Pimlach I wholeheartedly agree with the second statement. If my post came across as anything other then I didn't make myself clear. My only point was that we we will have many leaders on this team, if not now then in the very near future, and there's only 3 letters to go around. And that will hopefully help the Sabres become much better than just decent. 

• Agree 1

It appears who is captain in the NHL still matters more than it does in other sports, however, I think it is less of a thing now than it was 10, 20+ year ago.

What it means on the ice is the guy with the 'letter' can talk to the officials when penalties are being sorted.  

As far as leadership in the locker room, I'm not sure how big of a deal it is to some of these guys.  Lets say Tuch is a great locker room guy/leader/guys younger guys will come up to.  He could simply think (or say), I don't need a letter. I can be available just as much for the young guys to talk to, for the coaches and management to approach or call on the side to discuss things with a letter or without a letter.

I just get the 'feeling' that decades ago, the GM would call the 'C' and the 'A's "upstairs" when he wanted to get a feel of an issue in the locker room.  But today in the 2020's, I think it is so much less formal. If Adams wants to talk to Tuch or anyone else without a letter, he just stops by....or texts or calls them....or has them stop by the office upstairs.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Radar said:

It's about leadership not what line you play on. Example:Jack you know who.

Show me another team that has a 4th liner as captain. It’s going to look bad if his game drops off and they have to put the captain in the press box.

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Show me another team that has a 4th liner as captain. It’s going to look bad if his game drops off and they have to put the captain in the press box.

Really don't care about other teams frankly. It looked bad when a previous captain lacked even a bit of leadership.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

He was forth among forwards in TOI. He's not a forth line player,… whatever that even means anymore.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Leadership does not equal hockey skills. It's about being a leader of men - which Kyle has proven over time.  What line he is on is irrelevant.  Everyone should have learned from the Eichel debacle that the most talented man on the ice does not mean he should wear the C.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jävə Keith said:

Leadership does not equal hockey skills. It's about being a leader of men - which Kyle has proven over time.  What line he is on is irrelevant.  Everyone should have learned from the Eichel debacle that the most talented man on the ice does not mean he should wear the C.

The only question is: does the rest of the team respect Okposo as a leader? 

We know they do. 

1 hour ago, Jävə Keith said:

EXACTLY.  Everyone knew Tony Montana was a leader, no matter what line he was on.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not surprised people have an issue with this.  But it was always going to be Okposo.

Tuch is a flashy new toy.  He absolutely embodies many aspects of a leader. He's an absolute symbol of the WNY region (we'll include Baldwinsville here). But Tuch is also young. He's also not been with the team for a long time. None of this is a negative towards him. Tuch will be the out front, emotional leader of this team. He may be the future "C".  And that's a good thing. There's a lot of talk about Cozens, and many others.  Having a team of leaders is a great problem to have. It's not like having too many chefs in the kitchen. Having a team that holds themselves and each other accountable is how you build a winner.

So credit to Okposo who has literally put his health on the line for this team. A person who came in as the highest sought after UFA and then had to deal with the tire fire that was the Sabres. Throughout it all he's been nothing but class off the ice and effort and results on the ice.

It's not a step backward... clubs recognize those who built the foundation, players know who built the foundation. This team is just fine and in due time the leadership will pass... good teams have an abundance of leaders, it's a great problem to have.

• Like (+1) 2

Another way of looking at is:

How would the players react if they did NOT give it to Kyle and gave it to someone else?

Anybody who has been paying attention knows how the players think of Kyle. They look at him as the captain and that he has earned it. If they were to give the C to someone else, I suspect players would have viewed it as giving it to someone who is less deserving.* 

*As I wrote up thread, I really like Tuch. I also really like Rasmus and Z. I am sure they would all be good in their own way, but KO has earned it more than they at this point. As I also wrote above, Kyle literally risked his long term health for this team. His leadership ability and his devotion to the team earn him the right to be have the C. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

You should say in Buffalo leadership does not equal hockey skills, I look around the league and I see otherwise..... Pitt- Crosby, TOR- Tavares, EDM-McDavid, WAS-Crosby, BOS-Bergeron, OTT- Tkachuk, TAM- Stamkos, SJ- Couture, FLR- Barkov, COL- Landeskog and the list goes on. 

16 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

You should say in Buffalo leadership does not equal hockey skills, I look around the league and I see otherwise..... Pitt- Crosby, TOR- Tavares, EDM-McDavid, WAS-Crosby, BOS-Bergeron, OTT- Tkachuk, TAM- Stamkos, SJ- Couture, FLR- Barkov, COL- Landeskog and the list goes on. 

Crosby - Sure

Tavares - No where near the best player on Toronto (Got C to protect the kids)

McDavid - Sure

Ovechkin - Sure

Bergeron - Took over after Chara; doesn't really count as he wasn't a youngster when he got the C

Tkachuk - Little to no competition

Stamkos - Sort of, took over later in his career

Couture - Best player yes but was older and effectively took it from Marleau 

Barkov - Still young but experienced, took over from a vet 4th liner who'd had the prior 3 or 4 seasons

Landeskog - never the best player but a freak of nature with his maturity 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.