The Captain of Your Buffalo Sabres Kyle Okposo, Assistant Captains Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Dahlin

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I get where you're at, but at the same time naming newcomers to the Sabres as Captain is also a tradition that hasn't gone well. Two of the players wearing letters aren't likely to be playing for team in five years. There's time for Tuch.

Didn't say he should be captain today.  Said he should be the NEXT captain.  Agree with the bolded.

Fully understand why they chose the 3 they did to give letters.  They were the captains when the team played its best hockey in years.  (Yes, the team had shorter stretches with better results fairly recently, but the analytics crowd never tired of explaining why it couldn't last and it never did.)  When the team produces, it doesn't often make sense to change the leadership.

My goodness us Sabres fans can stir the negativity pot. Who the double hockey sticks cares what hour of the week the Sabres announce their captains? Some including Mr. Harrington need to grow up.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Posted this previously in the Tage thread but really belongs here.

This is interesting. The Sabres have gone how many years with a dearth of leadership? Now, between the present and emerging leaders in this organization there is the possibility that a handful of them will never wear a letter simply due to numbers, not worthiness.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, pastajoe said:

It’s a mistake giving a 4th line often injured 34 year old player the C, and another 4th liner an A. It will be embarrassing if they have to sit him if his game drops off. It should be Tuch; a top six player who shows leadership and could be with the team for years. Not even an A. 😒

Okposo has been and will be top 5 in minutes played for the Sabres forwards.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This might be the least self aware tweet ever. Like in the history of all time. What a tool. 

I’m at a point where I mostly feel bad for the guy. The tide started to turn when Tim Graham implied that Harrington is basically the fat kid on the playground among the region’s sportswriters - ostracized and mocked by his peers.

7 hours ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

I’m not sure how you could be upset that the team’s most respected and well-liked player and man was named captain.

This was the most obvious selection in years, and was telegraphed pretty clearly throughout the summer. 

Nobody has a problem with Okposo being named captain, and that includes Mike Harrington.

What is so difficult to understand? Harrington is not wrong in saying that if they announced it at a different time in the news cycle, a positive message about the Sabres would have reached a lot more fans and been able to fill mor time. Interviews. Sound bites. He’s a reporter. Of course that’s what he wants.

Not sure how self awareness comes into play. 

What I hope it means, though, is that the Sabres maybe just don’t care. Who the captain is is a hockey matter and that’s what they are now focused on,… finally.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JustOneParade said:

Posted this previously in the Tage thread but really belongs here.

This is interesting. The Sabres have gone how many years with a dearth of leadership? Now, between the present and emerging leaders in this organization there is the possibility that a handful of them will never wear a letter simply due to numbers, not worthiness.  

Every decent team has this situation.  There is more to leading than wearing a letter.  

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Nobody has a problem with Okposo being named captain, and that includes Mike Harrington.

What is so difficult to understand? Harrington is not wrong in saying that if they announced it at a different time in the news cycle, a positive message about the Sabres would have reached a lot more fans and been able to fill mor time. Interviews. Sound bites. He’s a reporter. Of course that’s what he wants.

Not sure how self awareness comes into play. 

What I hope it means, though, is that the Sabres maybe just don’t care. Who the captain is is a hockey matter and that’s what they are now focused on,… finally.

Agree.  Harrington can go self soothe himself.  It’s not about him. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

A little surprise Tuch wasn't an assistant

Okposo & Girgensons wore A's all year when healthy.  When 1 was out, somebody else would wear an A.  Towards the end of Girgenson's recovery, it was typically Dahlin wearing it.  When Z came back, Dahlin kept his A.

Which one, who is still here & expected to be a contributor by management and wore a letter during their best play in years, are you stripping a letter from to give it to Tuch?  What message is that sending to the rest of the team?

Honestly doubt Tuch would take the letter while all 3 are here and still leading.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Okposo's been the captain in spirit since Eichel last skated in a Sabres uniform, and was probably the captain off the ice even before then. This is the obvious, overdue choice. It's the right choice for this season.

They should have named him Captain last year, at least once the Eichel trade was finalized but earlier would have been fine.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

As for the supposed issue regarding when the Sabres announced this, my guess is that they made the decision, did not want to announce it on Sunday when the Bills are playing, and determined it probably would get out in any event if they waited (and certainly if they waited until Monday).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Okposo has been and will be top 5 in minutes played for the Sabres forwards.  

The Okposo as a 4th-liner meme is pretty much the creation of Ralph Krueger. If you want to put your faith in that guy’s judgement…🤷

Ice time and rank over his 6 years in Buffalo

• 16:47 2nd liner
  • 13:53 3rd liner
  • 12:51 4th liner
  • 13:47 3rd liner
  • 17:02 2nd liner
  • 18:58 2nd liner

If the Sabres get to the point Okposo is being benched, that means the team is healthy, and all of Krebs, Peterka, Quinn have taken a big jump, or Kyle’s game has fallen off a Cliff.

56 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Okposo & Girgensons wore A's all year when healthy.  When 1 was out, somebody else would wear an A.  Towards the end of Girgenson's recovery, it was typically Dahlin wearing it.  When Z came back, Dahlin kept his A.

Which one, who is still here & expected to be a contributor by management and wore a letter during their best play in years, are you stripping a letter from to give it to Tuch?  What message is that sending to the rest of the team?

Honestly doubt Tuch would take the letter while all 3 are here and still leading.

I wonder how many questioning Kyle’s C also slammed the Sabres for “forcing” the C on Eichel.

They stripped the room of the failed core and gave it a season for the new leadership to evolve. This is what evolved.

Any one who doesn’t understand that Kyle is the leader of this group just hasn’t been paying attention. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm baffled as to why Tuch wasn't even given the "A", Girgensons over Tuch? I don't mind Okposo, I understand that but not giving Tuch anything at all doesn't sit well for me since Girgensons isn't a ra ra leader type and doesn't lead by example on the score sheet so I don't really understand the logic there.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Good points!

• Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Girgensons over Tuch? I don't mind Okposo, I understand that but not giving Tuch anything at all doesn't sit well for me since Girgensons isn't a ra ra leader type and doesn't lead by example on the score sheet so I don't really understand the logic there.

He was an A and part of the culture they are building is not disrespecting your leaders by, for instance, stripping them of a letter.  I'm inclined to agree with you based on who's on the team right now, but looking at past history of Girgs carrying an A last year, I can see why they let him keep it.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.