The Captain of Your Buffalo Sabres Kyle Okposo, Assistant Captains Zemgus Girgensons and Rasmus Dahlin

Brawndo

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure how anyone came to any other conclusion after listening to ever player, coach and Sabres related personnel.  They have praised KO leadership endlessly.  For some reason, because Tuch goes to Bills games and tells stories about how he was a fan growing up meant he had some sort of inside track on the C.  

He'll be next.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Is the tradition gonna continue where we trade the captain at the deadline

They aren't trading Okposo. Move on already. 

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Must have interrupted Mike's dinner.

Old man yells at cloud.

• Haha (+1) 4

This is fine.  Seems about right.

In general, I’m not a huge fan of short term captains, guys who you know will only be around for 1-2 years.  In that situation, I’d normally want to go with 3 A’s.  I prefer captains to be a long term commitment from both sides.

Okposo has certainly earned it though.

Another aspect of this is the choice of A’s.  Veteran Girgensons and sole young guy of the group Dahlin.  I think that Dahlin has the inside track on being the C after Okposo hangs up the skates.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

In general, I’m not a huge fan of short term captains, guys who you know will only be around for 1-2 years.  In that situation, I’d normally want to go with 3 A’s.  I prefer captains to be a long term commitment from both sides.

Another aspect of this is the choice of A’s.  Veteran Girgensons and sole young guy of the group Dahlin.  I think that Dahlin has the inside track on being the C after Okposo hangs up the skates.

With Tuch and Cozens with an A.

It’s a mistake giving a 4th line often injured 34 year old player the C, and another 4th liner an A. It will be embarrassing if they have to sit him if his game drops off. It should be Tuch; a top six player who shows leadership and could be with the team for years. Not even an A. 😒

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Perfect player for a good situational fit. 

And I like Z and Dahlin getting keeping A’s.

Well, when all 3 were healthy down the stretch last year, all 3 were wearing A's.  So, though bumping Okposo up to the C on the surface can be viewed as a short term move; it could be argued he was the defacto captain last year (and had worn a letter pretty much ever since O'Reilly left) & this is acknowledging that.

So, it's also a chance for management to say they thought these 3 displayed the leadership they wanted & saw no reason to change things up.  Though Tuch would be my choice for wearing the C, there really isn't much if any room to say this was anything but a good choice.  (Btw, TAS, ftfy. 😉 )

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure how anyone came to any other conclusion after listening to ever player, coach and Sabres related personnel.  They have praised KO leadership endlessly.  For some reason, because Tuch goes to Bills games and tells stories about how he was a fan growing up meant he had some sort of inside track on the C.  

I love Tuch, but for the reasons you set forth and the fact that KO literally risked his long term health for this team, the decision is a no brainer. As you say, all one has to do is listen to how the players talk about KO.

Great choice and well deserved!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

prickly.

This might be the least self aware tweet ever. Like in the history of all time. What a tool. 

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, when all 3 were healthy down the stretch last year, all 3 were wearing A's.  So, though bumping Okposo up to the C on the surface can be viewed as a short term move; it could be argued he was the defacto captain last year (and had worn a letter pretty much ever since O'Reilly left) & this is acknowledging that.

So, it's also a chance for management to say they thought these 3 displayed the leadership they wanted & saw no reason to change things up.  Though Tuch would be my choice for wearing the C, there really isn't much if any room to say this was anything but a good choice.  (Btw, TAS, ftfy. 😉 )

Okposo was 100% the defacto captain. They could either stay with the As or name him captain. There wasn't another option. 

• Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

This might be the least self aware tweet ever. Like in the history of all time. What a tool. 

Either intensely non-self aware or one of the best self-depreciating tweets of all time.  Having read his stuff before & heard him in interviews, expect your take is the correct one.  Unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Either intensely non-self aware or one of the best self-depreciating tweets of all time.  Having read his stuff before & heard him in interviews, expect your take is the correct one.  Unfortunately.

I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt but there's an arrogance to Mike that clearly is showing here. In the replies he even argued about being called old. Sorry guy but when you're on platform that's about 80% younger than you and you complain like an old man... well you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okposo was 100% the defacto captain. They could either stay with the As or name him captain. There wasn't another option. 

Once Dahlin kept the A after Gorgensons got healthy and they'd upped it from 2 to 3 A's they really didn't have another choice.

But still believe Tuch should be the next captain & not just because he grew up next to Connolly.  He's the 1st power forward truly useful in the offensive zone (not run out of town by either of the past 2 GMs) they've had in a long time (since Dumont left perhaps?) and he does all the little things right.  He took the team out to dinner when he got traded here, he's the guy that brought RJ onto the ice after the Nashville game, he's the guy introducing himself to "all the little people" that are part of the Sabres organization walking the talk that Adams preaches, etc., etc.  Maybe behind the scenes Dahlin or Cozens or somebody else also does all the little things too, but Alex definitely does.

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Once Dahlin kept the A after Gorgensons got healthy and they'd upped it from 2 to 3 A's they really didn't have another choice.

But still believe Tuch should be the next captain & not just because he grew up next to Connolly.  He's the 1st power forward truly useful in the offensive zone (not run out of town by either of the past 2 GMs) they've had in a long time (since Dumont left perhaps?) and he does all the little things right.  He took the team out to dinner when he got traded here, he's the guy that brought RJ onto the ice after the Nashville game, he's the guy introducing himself to "all the little people" that are part of the Sabres organization walking the talk that Adams preaches, etc., etc.  Maybe behind the scenes Dahlin or Cozens or somebody else also does all the little things too, but Alex definitely does.

I get where you're at, but at the same time naming newcomers to the Sabres as Captain is also a tradition that hasn't gone well. Two of the players wearing letters aren't likely to be playing for team in five years. There's time for Tuch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.