Lance Lysowski : cheaper route for goaltending might be their best option again this summer.

Buffalonill

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The Ullmark non-signing is a big deal that has reverberated into this season. The GM miscalculated. And it hurt the team. 

Again, you assume that Adams did not match Boston's  offer and it's all Adam's fault that he did not sign. Ulmark was free to make a decision to go where he wanted. He chose Boston.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Ullmark non-signing is a big deal that has reverberated into this season. The GM miscalculated. And it hurt the team. 

I didn't say that Ullmark would sign if Adams matched Boston. He wanted a richer contract from Buffalo. The GM should have paid it. 

He never said that. It was never said that Adams needed to offer a richer contract and he would sign. You are assuming that.

• Thanks (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Except it didn’t hurt the team.

The goal of this season was to build culture and give the kids an opportunity to develop.

Both these things happened, probably about as well as they could have.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, Buffalonill said:

Lance Lysowski recently reported the Sabres don’t expect some of the higher-tiered UFA goalies will be available to them. Going the cheaper route might be their best option again this summer.

Lysowski also speculated that Victor Olofsson could be a trade candidate. He had 20 goals and 49 points this season but is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights who needs to produce more. He completed a two-year deal worth an annual average value of $3.050 million.

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2022/06/nhl-rumor-mill-june-20-2022/

I'm going to guess we trade for a goalie, no way they sell the fan base that they're trying to win with an even worse goalie than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

The goal of this season was to build culture and give the kids an opportunity to develop.

And if we didn't have a clown show in goal with half a dozen guys who had no business playing in the NHL there's a good chance we would've competed for a playoff spot (at least playing meaningful games late in the season) which I think would've helped with the whole culture thing. And if we make that mistake again and end up with Carter Hutton quality goaltending next season all that culture and development goes straight down the toilet.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

I disagree. The Sabres would have been at least a 10 pt better team with Ullmark. The notion of culture and development being stifled with better netminding last year makes no sense at all. Success breeds more success. And success puts more paying customers in the seats.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I disagree. The Sabres would have been at least a 10 pt better team with Ullmark. The notion of culture and development being stifled with better netminding last year makes no sense at all. Success breeds more success. And success puts more paying customers in the seats.

Who said anything about a better goalie stifling development?

10 points more and the Sabres are still 5th in the division and 15 points out of a playoff spot.

Not signing Ullmark hasn’t hurt Adams long-term plan one iota. Yet.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Who said anything about a better goalie stifling development?

10 points more and the Sabres are still 5th in the division and 15 points out of a playoff spot.

Not signing Ullmark hasn’t hurt Adams long-term plan one iota. Yet.

Not signing Ullmark last year or having a better option will have an impact on this team this year. And the team improving 10 pts last year with better goalie play is not insignificant. It would be an indication of a team moving up the ranks and better positioning itself for the near future. Success breeds more success. And it certainly has a positive influence for attendance. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not signing Ullmark last year or having a better option will have an impact on this team this year. And the team improving 10 pts last year with better goalie play is not insignificant. It would be an indication of a team moving up the ranks and better positioning itself for the near future. Success breeds more success. And it certainly has a positive influence for attendance. 

Yes it will. Hopefully, it will be a positive impact, in that they either either acquire a better option, or a similar option on a better contract. If they can’t your angst may become warranted. Right now, it’s hyperbole.

The team improved about 20 pro-rated points last year with goalies they had, indicating they were moving up the ranks and better positioning themselves for the future. Hopefully it continues to breed more success and better attendance like it seemed to last year.

16 hours ago, woods-racer said:

You keep saying that Ulmark would sign if Adams matched Boston, yet nothing I have read said this is true.

I didn't say that Ullmark would sign if Adams matched Boston's offer. Ullmark wanted a richer contract from Buffalo than what he was offered from Boston. The GM declined without having much of a fallback option. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really don't know why some people think Ullmark would come back or that Boston wants to even move him. It's nonsense. First, I think he has a NMC. Second, Boston was not unhappy with their goaltending. The consensus view is that he will be Swayman's back up, but they have become best friends, not rivals, and it's a complimentary relationship, hugs and all. Ullmark IS NOT coming back. 

Sabres have to over pay Campbell and/or Husso but if neither is interested you go with best available option and hope they are adequate while also hoping they become the over paid back up to UPL in time, same as Boston's situation. 

The idea that Levi or Portello wouldn't sign if Buffalo has a good goalie on the roster seems weird to me and is something you don't really want. Almost every team has an established starting goalie so where does any rookie get off demanding an open spot? I don't buy that argument for a second. They will both sign.

The one thing you do not do though is offer a NMC to the guy you over pay to come here. Maybe a short list of crap teams he doesn't want to go to, but not a full NMC. That could be a big mistake. 

• Like (+1) 3

So in his reader mailbag, veteran Athletic columnist Eric Duhatschek responded to a reader who wanted to know who was furthest ahead in their rebuild: Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo.

He said its tight and he would bet on the team that best addressed its goaltending.

If you ask me to rank them in terms of the order that I’d choose their rosters (and based on the contracts that have been signed), I would go Buffalo, Ottawa, then Detroit.

And then he dropped this little nugget:

And I’m waiting anxiously to see who lands between the pipes in Buffalo because they are actively looking for help. If they could ever pry loose a veteran such as a Jonathan Quick to stabilize the back end, they’ll be getting closer.

That seems to be oddly specific and makes me wonder if he’s heard something.

The Kings just re-signed Petersen to a $5x3 year deal and he is the #1 moving forward. Quick is in the last year of a contract the Kings might like to move and the Sabres can easily absorb. He has no trade protection.

LA also seems like a team that could be interested in Ryan Johnson and/or Erik Portillo.

Duhatschek has buckets of credibility and connections, particularly out west, and doesn’t make his living with a constant stream of insider babble.

To me, this bears watching.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So in his reader mailbag, veteran Athletic columnist Eric Duhatschek responded to a reader who wanted to know who was furthest ahead in their rebuild: Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo.

He said its tight and he would bet on the team that best addressed its goaltending.

If you ask me to rank them in terms of the order that I’d choose their rosters (and based on the contracts that have been signed), I would go Buffalo, Ottawa, then Detroit.

And I’m waiting anxiously to see who lands between the pipes in Buffalo because they are actively looking for help. If they could ever pry loose a veteran such as a Jonathan Quick to stabilize the back end, they’ll be getting closer.

The Kings just re-signed Petersen to a $5x3 year deal and he is the #1 moving forward. Quick is in the last year of a contract the Kings might like to move and the Sabres can easily absorb. He has no trade protection.

LA also seems like a team that could be interested in Ryan Johnson and/or Erik Portillo.

Duhatschek has buckets of credibility and connections, particularly out west, and doesn’t make his living with a constant stream of insider babble.

Johnson and Portillo for Quick and Faber. Who says no?

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Quick is from Connecticut. Not sure if being back on the east coast matters to him.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Quick and Campbell seem to be the consensus favorites. Quick, because he would almost certainly waive his no trade clause to come back East, and had only one year on his deal that only pays him $2.5M and Campbell because he’s exactly the type of person KA wants, wouldn’t be too pricey, and could just be a slow developer a/k/a Tim Thomas. 

Edited by tom webster
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Quick and Campbell seem to be the consensus favorites. Quick, because he would almost certainly waive his no trade clause to come back East, and had only one year on his deal and Campbell because he’s exactly the type of person KA wants, wouldn’t be too pricey, and could just be a slow developer a/k/a Tim Thomas. 

No NTC, according to capfriendly.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-quick

I believe a few players might be interested in waiving their NTC, NMC if they are guaranteed the Starters Net for a season or two. 
Varlamov comes to mind as well. With UPL being waiver eligible next season, I would take full advantage and grab Comrie as a backup option. 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I believe a few players might be interested in waiving their NTC, NMC if they are guaranteed the Starters Net for a season or two. 
Varlamov comes to mind as well. With UPL being waiver eligible next season, I would take full advantage and grab Comrie as a backup option. 

I like Comrie. In my opinion, either Quick or Campbell with Comrie is the best way to go. I wouldn’t mind Varlamov. 
Also, I’m not sure I would count on UPL at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I like Comrie. In my opinion, either Quick or Campbell with Comrie is the best way to go. I wouldn’t mind Varlamov. 
Also, I’m not sure I would count on UPL at all. 

One more year in Rochester for UPL in tandem with Subban would be a the smart play 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.