Lance Lysowski : cheaper route for goaltending might be their best option again this summer.

Buffalonill

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

This link is from Sabresnoise.com. Sion Fawkes goes through five goalie options that might be available. It seems that the writer is suggesting that Jonathan Quick might be the best short term option. Most of the options correspond to what others have suggested. 

https://sabrenoise.com/2022/06/23/goaltenders-buffalo-sabres-trade/

"stop gap measures". It's high time the team (and fans) stopped thinking like that. We need a winning option, not a stop gap. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

"stop gap measures". It's high time the team (and fans) stopped thinking like that. We need a winning option, not a stop gap. 

We are living in a real world, not a fantasy world where solutions are easily made up. If you can't come up with a long-term solution right away, then the smart approach is to come up with a reasonable temporary solution that will improve the situation and allows you the time to find a better long-term solution. What magical goaltending solution do you have in mind? Is your dream goalie attainable? What will be the long-term cost? If you keep grinding at getting better, you will get better. You have to ask yourself if UPL or Levi will turn out to be the answer to our goaltending needs? I don't know? No one does for sure.  But that doesn't mean that you give up and not seek better immediate options until you do know. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

We are living in a real world, not a fantasy world where solutions are easily made up. If you can't come up with a long-term solution right away, then the smart approach is to come up with a reasonable temporary solution that will improve the situation and allows you the time to find a better long-term solution. What magical goaltending solution do you have in mind? Is your dream goalie attainable? What will be the long-term cost? If you keep grinding at getting better, you will get better. You have to ask yourself if UPL or Levi will turn out to be the answer to our goaltending needs? I don't know? No one does for sure.  But that doesn't mean that you give up and not seek better immediate options until you do know. 

Solution is simple:

1) obtain a flux Capacitor

2) buy a DeLorian

3) set time to 1997

4) bring back 1990s Dominik Hasek

5) keep his 1990s contract in tact

6) Cup😁

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Solution is simple:

1) obtain a flux Capacitor

2) buy a DeLorian

3) set time to 1997

4) bring back 1990s Dominik Hasek

5) keep his 1990s contract in tact

6) Cup😁

Some people believe in magic. Wave the wand and presto the solution to your problem is pulled out of your hat. 🙃

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Some people believe in magic. Wave the wand and presto the solution to your problem is pulled out of your hat. 🙃

That does not always work, viz.:

Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit out of a hat.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's not about a "dream goalie" but it can be better than just a "stop gap". Rumour has Husso in the 4X4 range, so offer him 5. Kuemper, Campbell,  Fluery, DeSmith, there are goalies out there. Just overpay one of them to come here. 

I don't really care if 3 years from now we have too many goalies and we are over paying the guy who is fading, I think that'd be a refreshing issue to deal with. What I don't want is a season of "if only we had a good goalie we'd be a contender ". It's time. It's time for this franchise to think like a winner and raise the bar of acceptability accordingly. We can't let this new generation learn to be okay with losing. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not about a "dream goalie" but it can be better than just a "stop gap". Rumour has Husso in the 4X4 range, so offer him 5. Kuemper, Campbell,  Fluery, DeSmith, there are goalies out there. Just overpay one of them to come here. 

I don't really care if 3 years from now we have too many goalies and we are over paying the guy who is fading, I think that'd be a refreshing issue to deal with. What I don't want is a season of "if only we had a good goalie we'd be a contender ". It's time. It's time for this franchise to think like a winner and raise the bar of acceptability accordingly. We can't let this new generation learn to be okay with losing. 

There isn't a poster here who has addressed the goalie issue more than I have with the possible exception of@Thorny. It's gotten to the point where a faction of the population here find me nauseatingly repetitive and insufferable. I don't necessarily disagree with their judgment. ☠️

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There isn't a poster here who has addressed the goalie issue more than I have with the possible exception of@Thorny. It's gotten to the point where a faction of the population here find me nauseatingly repetitive and insufferable. I don't necessarily disagree with their judgment. ☠️

lol, I've been critiqued at times for going on about the same things over and over again too. It's okay, kind of ends up happening until they actually fix it. 

We have the draft in a little bit and a few weeks to free agency. Kind of a hopeful anticipatory period. Come the end of July we should have a good feel for things and be pessimistic or optimistic about next season accordingly. As I've said many times, I think this team can take a leap forward and this is a good moment to do it, I hope so. KA may have a longer time line in mind which may work eventually, but will piss me off for now. We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Keep it up, KA is a lurker here and the idea may kick in soon. LOL.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pretty sure @JohnC started posting regularly not long after Kevyn Adams showed up.

Pretty sure the most famous John C out there was an Adams. 👀

The one thing that I have observed about KA is that he is transparent. He has made no secret about what his philosophy is in rebuilding a team. Overall, I have been impressed by how he has operated. He is not going to panic when things go wrong or reach for short-term solutions. His model is the Carolina model where the talent is spread around. The primary criticism I have had with him is that I believe that he got blindsided with the Ullmark negotiation. In my mind he wrongly assumed that he was going to re-sign. He simply didn't have an adequate backup plan for the UFA goalie. I feel that this offseason he is going to be more attentive to having options for that position.

In my opinion KA is not the type of GM who is going to make dramatic moves. (The Kane discussion doesn't resonate with me, at least for now, because it seems to fall outside his mostly build from within plan.  He took over the job having a blueprint and has steadily and steadfastly followed the script that he put together. Overall, I'm happy with how he has run and guided this formerly troubled franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.