Please settle a debate...

Hawerchuk

What do you do?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem is playing and you…

• Go about my business
    • Standing quiet

Concerning the National Anthem. No, this has nothing to do with kneeling.

If you are at a bar or public establishment, and you are not personally at the game, do you stop what you're doing, stop talking and sit/stand quietly while the anthem is performed out of respect OR do you go about your business, talk with your table of friends, chat with the bartender, check your phone messages, etc. while waiting for the puck drop?

I'm just curious because my wife and I were watching game 2 of the Cup Finals this past Saturday. We live in Vegas so it was a neutral setting. When the anthem began, everybody in the bar sat quiet while the singer did his thing. You could hear a pin drop. I found this really odd because my thinking is, if you're not physically there at the game you should be able to do what you want, however my wife disagreed and thinks everyone should stop what their doing and be quiet. It was quite the debate.

So whats your opinion on this? What say you Sabrespace?

I am not big on national anthems at sporting or other events that are not nationalistic in nature.

That said, I think if you are at a sports bar to watch a sporting event you should pause and be quiet when the anthem is being played / sung.  Stand maybe and remove your caps and sing maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I am not big on national anthems at sporting or other events that are not nationalistic in nature.

That said, I think if you are at a sports bar to watch a sporting event you should pause and be quiet when the anthem is being played / sung.  Stand maybe and remove your caps and sing maybe.

Amen.  If it’s not the Olympics or an event where one country is playing against the other country, what’s the point of the anthem again.  

Performing the anthem for a bunch of Swedes, Canadians, Russians, Czechs, Slovaks and the occasional American seems kinda weird. 

• Like (+1) 3

In a setting hundreds of miles away...   You can go about your business. 

--Move along.

Move along, move along.

(And if you do stop to listen, I assume it's to critique the singer. Particularly for the US anthem: Oh... they started out way too high. Or too fast. Or gee... really milking that ending aren't we?)

One odd thing about the anthems at sporting events: it's not like the whole venue is shutting down. Camera operators are still running around and sticking the camera into players' faces. Anyone outside the bowl/seating area is still running about. Security, ushers, tickets, and concessions are still fully expected to do their jobs. Can you imagine if concessions grabbed a hot dog, put it on the counter, and then stopped your draft mid-pour... for two minutes? Four minutes in Buffalo where they sing both songs. It'd be mayhem.

The SSB has been co-opted and bastardized since it’s origin and original adoption by the military for ceremonial purposes. I have no problem just going about my business when it’s played in the background. It should remain a military ceremonial song while we adopt a new national anthem. I’ve long thought that ‘America the Beautiful’ would be a good choice or perhaps ‘My Country ‘Tis of Thee’ as both capture the breadth and majesty of our country’s greatness on a much larger scale imo. 

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I sit or stand quietly. I am a veteran, that tune has had deep meaning for myself in any event, for decades.

Thanks for the service, I am a veteran as well and for some odd reason it doesn't sit as deep for me. I find it kind of unnecessary to play for something as meaningless as a hockey game, just play the game. There are far more impactful places and events that a national anthem is necessary and deserves the proper respect.

A game of teenagers and young men that have never served is out of place in my opinion; considering most of the sport is full of random nationalities. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Go about your business, but I’m also of the opinion that it’s out of place at sporting events.

I didn’t used to feel that way, but I have now for most of the past decade.

Its downright weird they do this for sporting events.  They don’t play it before concerts, plays, movies, or most other entertainment.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.