Patrick Kane

tom webster

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

If they didn’t want to pay them, fine.

I just find it hard to believe that no other NHL GM would have been willing to trade something for them.  I find I hard to believe that their best option was to let them walk for nothing.  These guys were not UFAs, they were under team control.

It sounds like they tried moving them both at the deadline and now 

No team wanted the contract 

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It sounds like they tried moving them both at the deadline and now 

No team wanted the contract 

Could have let them get whatever in arbitration, give them top 6 and PP mins, hope they do well, and try to trade them at the deadline again.

Its pretty rare that a team let’s players as good as Kubalik, let alone Strome, walk without giving them a qualifying offer.  This is not normal.

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Could have let them get whatever in arbitration, give them top 6 and PP mins, hope they do well, and try to trade them at the deadline again.

Its pretty rare that a team let’s players as good as Kubalik, let alone Strome, walk without giving them a qualifying offer.  This is not normal.

Even if Blackhawks trade rights to Dylan Strome, Dominik Kubalik, they won’t get much back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2022/7/5/23195846/blackhawks-trade-rumors-dylan-strome-dominik-kubalik-restricted-free-agents-alex-debrincat%3f_amp=true

likely both will be unrestricted free agents.

That’s because of several reasons. Strome’s qualifying offer would come in at $3.6 million and Kubalik’s at $4 million, both potentially above fair market value. Strome, 25, and Kubalik, a month from turning 27,

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't see anything wrong with what they did. 

Strome was carried by Kane and they didn't feel he was worth the contract -pass 

Dominik Kubalik-  Declining every year  Not worth the contract - pass 

Getting any return on these players is better than no return. It made absolutely no sense. The issue isn't whether they were not worth the contract. They made the determination it wasn't. So why not then try to get something for them? The DeBrincat deal made little sense because the return should have been more. 

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Even if Blackhawks trade rights to Dylan Strome, Dominik Kubalik, they won’t get much back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2022/7/5/23195846/blackhawks-trade-rumors-dylan-strome-dominik-kubalik-restricted-free-agents-alex-debrincat%3f_amp=true

That’s because of several reasons. Strome’s qualifying offer would come in at $3.6 million and Kubalik’s at $4 million, both potentially above fair market value. Strome, 25, and Kubalik, a month from turning 27,

This is the reason. No team would trade assets for two talents that they don’t think are worth their qualifying offers.

49 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

This is the reason. No team would trade assets for two talents that they don’t think are worth their qualifying offers.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Interesting.

I’m just kind of shocked that no one thinks a former #3 overall pick, big playmaking center who has produced at a 50+ point pace 3 of the past 4 seasons isn’t worth $3.6M.  Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Kubalik is still surprising but more understandable.

Im very interested to see what these guys sign for.

If they sign for more than their QO, does that mean that Chicago messed up?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I think "Strome" is Canadian for "let him walk," actually.

Strome if you want to, Strome around the world?

Wherever I may Strome?

I think you are onto something.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Interesting.

I’m just kind of shocked that no one thinks a former #3 overall pick, big playmaking center who has produced at a 50+ point pace 3 of the past 4 seasons isn’t worth $3.6M.  Doesn’t make much sense to me.

It means the teams that refused to trade scraps for them messed up.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Strome if you want to, Strome around the world?

Wherever I may Strome?

I think you are onto something.

We can dance if you want to, we can leave your Stromes behind, 'Cause your Stromes don't dance, and if they don't dance, they're no Stromes of mine.

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Contempt said:

We can dance if you want to, we can leave your Stromes behind, 'Cause your Stromes don't dance, and if they don't dance, they're no Stromes of mine.

Riders on the strome
Riders on the strome
Into this house, we're born
Into this world, we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out on loan
Riders on the strome

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

Interesting.

Evolving Hockey’s Contract Projection was 3 years at 4.5 AAV for Strome. They have been very close with most of Their Projections. 

He was certainly worth His Qualifying Offer 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Curt said:

Interesting.

Has to be.  Big name players not qualified in 2021 all signed for less than their QO's.  Interestingly enough, two from this year on last years list as well. 

Kase - $2.6M with Ducks in 2020 - signed for $1.25M this past season with Leafs.

Heinan -   Making $2.8M with BB traded to Anaheim, and they didn't offer him.  Signed with Pittsburg for $1.1M this past season.  His would be arbitration eligible and scored a ton of goals for a 3/4 line player.   So his QO would have been much larger than 10%. 

Dom Kahun - whom the Sabres didn't Qualify in 2020 signed with Edmonton for $975k and when they didnt Qualifyt in 2021 he played overseas. 

Ryan Donato - Sharks didn't Qualify at $1.8M (+10%) and signed league min with Kraken. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Why are we posting Evander Kane free agent updates in a thread about Patrick Kane?

Agree.

Also, the report that Patrick Kane is going to wait to see how the season plays out, if true, is a very good sign for the Sabres.

If Kane would like to come home and play, which, I'd suspect he does, given he knows WNY is a great place to raise a family, he may be waiting to see just how far along this young group, which really did come together well in the 2nd half of last season, has progressed.

One can at least hope that's the case. And I'm hopeful.

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why are we posting Evander Kane free agent updates in a thread about Patrick Kane?

Because upthread somebody posted rumors of the Buffalo born Kane getting traded to Edmonton.  Thought it was far likelier that the non-Buffalo native re-sign there.  Posting that that Kane ended up in Edmonton again, was a post-script to the earlier discussion in this thread.

(No idea why anybody else is discussing it here.  😉 )

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.