Patrick Kane

tom webster

19 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Are you sure about that?

I would still pay a lot for Kane and he is worth it.

That does not mean that I think KA will do it.  I don't think KA will do anything on the Kane front this year.

Nope.

Given your  post and Aristocrat's, I'm dead wrong 😄

• Haha (+1) 1

I wonder if he or his agent have had quiet conversations with CHI mgmt.  They must have talked about this at the exit interview.

Maybe CHI, perhaps mistakenly, believes they can rebuild with Toews and Kane in place.   ...but in that scenario, they trade Debrincat... which wouldn't make sense.

I think the only floatable theory is that CHI is negotiating for best return value, which has likely changed since the draft is done and simply requires more time.

• Like (+1) 1

What are we thinking the price is for Kane?

I was under the impression of 2 B-level prospects and a 2nd or 3rd for him but then I’m also seeing suggestions like Oloffson, a 1st AND Peterka? Absolutely not, at that price I’m out. 

But if you can send Portillo, Ryan Johnson and a 2nd? Why would there be any reason to say no to that? 

I don’t see how the price can get very high for a 1 year rental, with a NTC, at 33-34 years old, and a team that is clearly tanking and should be desperate to move him for anything they can get

In 2018, the Sabres were desperate for a 1LW. How desperate? Here are the other LWs that 2018-19 opening night: Sheary, Sobotka, Girgensons. (Remie Elie was scratched and Wilson was injured.) Knowing that, they traded for Skinner: Pu, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 6th.* That's the desperation-level package to a Carolina team looking to ship him out and clear cap. I'm giving up that package at the most for 1 year of Kane because currently, my projected RWs on opening day are VO, Tuch, Okposo, and Quinn. Is Kane better than them? Absolutely, he'd push each player one line down. Are we desperate for a RW like we were for a LW in 2018? Nope.

I'm against giving up valuable assets (future firsts, our top prospects, or VO) for Kane. He's a UFA next year, sign him then if VO/Quinn can't deliver.

*FWIW, the equivalent Skinner package today would be: Sardarian (2021 3rd, our 2020 3rd was traded for Skinner), 2023 2nd (PHI, BUF, VGK to choose from), 2024 3rd, and 2024 6th.

44 minutes ago, elijah said:

What are we thinking the price is for Kane?

I was under the impression of 2 B-level prospects and a 2nd or 3rd for him but then I’m also seeing suggestions like Oloffson, a 1st AND Peterka? Absolutely not, at that price I’m out. 

But if you can send Portillo, Ryan Johnson and a 2nd? Why would there be any reason to say no to that? 

I don’t see how the price can get very high for a 1 year rental, with a NTC, at 33-34 years old, and a team that is clearly tanking and should be desperate to move him for anything they can get

Chicago are going to need cap. Sending them Ben Bishop would probably be a part of it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

*FWIW, the equivalent Skinner package today would be: Sardarian (2021 3rd, our 2020 3rd was traded for Skinner), 2023 2nd (PHI, BUF, VGK to choose from), 2024 3rd, and 2024 6th.

If this is the price you don’t say no imo

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman on 32 Thoughts wondered about Colorado for Kane. They would probably need Chicago to retain 5 million and another team to retain 2.5 Million. 

Chicago needs to retain all the salary they can get.  I believe if they unload Kane and Toews they’ll be $30 million below the floor. 

In the spirit of the post talking about people talking past each other… I think most people advocating for this type of trade is inferring a Taylor Hall situation where Chicago can’t get Kane’s true value because Kane forces his way to one team. 

If Chicago is only interested in true value and doesn’t want to unload a salary, then the deal is dead for everyone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, elijah said:

If this is the price you don’t say no imo

Maybe, but nothing more. As @Flashsabre noted, Bishop's salary would be pretty handy for Chicago.

Whatever you do, you don't overpay. Chicago has no leverage because they're dead set on stinking: shedding DeBrincat and Dach, letting Strome walk as an RFA (no, Strome's not great, but that's simply poor asset management, especially since you could sign him for 1 tank season if you believe he'll actually benefit your tank -- heck, you deal him as a rental if he's playing too well just like GMTM did with our goalies).

Just now, SDS said:

In the spirit of the post talking about people talking past each other… I think most people advocating for this type of trade is inferring a Taylor Hall situation where Chicago can’t get Kane’s true value because Kane forces his way to one team. 

If Chicago is only interested in true value and doesn’t want to unload a salary, then the deal is dead for everyone.

So what your saying is in this scenario, unless Chicago is able to get what they think Kane is worth they won’t trade him? 
I don’t think that makes a whole lotta sense. IMO they are tanking, and are currently trying to accumulate young assets. If they don’t trade Kane they get nothing for him. I would think they will take what they can get for Kane, similar to how we took what we could for Hall. It wouldn’t surprise me if it took until the trade deadline for him to be traded though.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman on 32 Thoughts wondered about Colorado for Kane. They would probably need Chicago to retain 5 million and another team to retain 2.5 Million. 

So what your saying is the Sabres could acquire Kane then flip him for assets in a salary laundering.

But in the brief window of ownership, they could legally negotiate the terms of the UFA deal he will sign with them as a UFA next summer.

Now that’s some serious 4D chess.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Maybe, but nothing more. As @Flashsabre noted, Bishop's salary would be pretty handy for Chicago.

Whatever you do, you don't overpay. Chicago has no leverage because they're dead set on stinking: shedding DeBrincat and Dach, letting Strome walk as an RFA (no, Strome's not great, but that's simply poor asset management, especially since you could sign him for 1 tank season if you believe he'll actually benefit your tank -- heck, you deal him as a rental if he's playing too well just like GMTM did with our goalies).

I think it's fairly obvious Chicago is completely deconstructing and tanking for a shot at Bedard so (I think) they will make any deal possible. Just a question of what they are willing to settle for. In the end, if it came to that, they would do a Taylor Hall type deal if there was no alternative. 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

So what your saying is in this scenario, unless Chicago is able to get what they think Kane is worth they won’t trade him? 
I don’t think that makes a whole lotta sense. IMO they are tanking, and are currently trying to accumulate young assets. If they don’t trade Kane they get nothing for him. I would think they will take what they can get for Kane, similar to how we took what we could for Hall. It wouldn’t surprise me if it took until the trade deadline for him to be traded though.

I would love a change of scenery where we bring in a player like Kane at the trade deadline instead of trying to sell off our spare parts and then being disappointed that nobody wanted our spare parts.

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

You haven’t visited the hockeybuzz comments section where the poster ( a Sabres fan) was adamant  on giving up Cozens, Krebs and two 1sts for Kane🤣🤣🤣🤣

Clearly hasn't been paying attention to the offseason.  Cozens and Krebs are too old for Chicago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.