Patrick Kane

tom webster

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Speaking of Perfect Power Partners 

One would have to slide to his offhand side, but several here have said Power has done that in the past.

It also would give Johnson a vision of playing top 4 minutes down the road, though at best he'd be the 3rd best LHD on this team & likely 4th.  So, maybe he does sign rather than walk.  And, it makes talk of grabbing a LHD in this year's draft should a stud fall to 16 not as ridiculous as it seems upon 1st glance.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Good stuff here gents.  Thanks.

Still -- it wouldn't be the first time that an NHL franchise has refused to turn the page at what seemed like the logical time to do so.

I'll also say that the picture painted by these 2 posts isn't that of a team that would give up Kane for a price I'd be willing to pay (#28, Portillo/Johnson and a #2 -- and only if Kane signs an extension as part of the deal).

Actually disagree. Prevailing sentiment is that Chicago wants to rid themselves of both without looking like they are forcing them out. Best way is to send both back to their hometowns.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Actually disagree. Prevailing sentiment is that Chicago wants to rid themselves of both without looking like they are forcing them out. Best way is to send both back to their hometowns.

OK, but the price the Hawks will demand for Kane is where the rubber meets the road.

Do you not think it will be higher than what I mentioned (#28, Portillo/Johnson and a #2)?

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK, but the price the Hawks will demand for Kane is where the rubber meets the road.

Do you not think it will be higher than what I mentioned (#28, Portillo/Johnson and a #2)?

The demand is not where the rubber hits the road though.

They can demand all they want, but ultimately Kane controls the situation the same way Taylor Hall did.

If Kane only wants to go to Boston, then it’s Bjork and a second, or nothing.

If Kane will accept multiple destinations, that $10 million cap hit is also going to inhibit the market.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think they will ask for an unprotected 2023 1st. They won’t get it. I think it will end up being close to the above but like I said previously I’m still betting it won’t happen.

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It really is up to Kane.  IF he's only willing to be moved to the Sabres, the Hawks have 0 leverage and will be lucky to get your proposal.  Until we hear more, would use the Skinner package as the template.  (Middling prospect, a 2nd (next year?), & a lesser pick another year out.)

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If it’s important to Kane that he goes to Buffalo, then it definitely should not be higher than that, IMO.

Also, significant difference in value between Johnson and Portillo.  Assuming that both are set on going to UFA, Johnson is equivalent to a 2024 2nd round pick.  Portillo is equivalent to nothing.

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The demand is not where the rubber hits the road though.

They can demand all they want, but ultimately Kane controls the situation the same way Taylor Hall did.

If Kane only wants to go to Boston, then it’s Bjork and a second, or nothing.

If Kane will accept multiple destinations, that $10 million cap hit is also going to inhibit the market.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It really is up to Kane.  IF he's only willing to be moved to the Sabres, the Hawks have 0 leverage and will be lucky to get your proposal.  Until we hear more, would use the Skinner package as the template.  (Middling prospect, a 2nd (next year?), & a lesser pick another year out.)

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

If it’s important to Kane that he goes to Buffalo, then it definitely should not be higher than that, IMO.

Also, significant difference in value between Johnson and Portillo.  Assuming that both are set on going to UFA, Johnson is equivalent to a 2024 2nd round pick.  Portillo is equivalent to nothing.

You guys are of course right that if the Sabres are the beneficiaries of the Taylor Hall approach, then yes, we could get Kane for a song.  I just have a hard time believing that Kane would do so -- both that the Sabres would be his only acceptable destination, and that he would do that to the Blackhawks.

(BTW, I was telling my son the other day about Dominik pulling a similar move when the Sabres traded him to Detroit, which led to me looking up Slava Kozlov's stats -- I hadn't realized that after pouting his way out of Buffalo after 39 games, he had a long and very productive 2nd half of his career with Atlanta.  What a debacle for the Sabres.)

Good point on the difference between Johnson and Portillo, although it's quite possible that one or both of them could give assurances to Chicago that he would sign with them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

One would have to slide to his offhand side, but several here have said Power has done that in the past.

It also would give Johnson a vision of playing top 4 minutes down the road, though at best he'd be the 3rd best LHD on this team & likely 4th.  So, maybe he does sign rather than walk.  And, it makes talk of grabbing a LHD in this year's draft should a stud fall to 16 not as ridiculous as it seems upon 1st glance.

Cap Friendly has McCabe as LD/RD I’m not sure how much He played on the Right Side in Chicago if at all. 

If Adams sticks with BPA, that’s a huge possibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2022 at 5:55 AM, North Buffalo said:

I dont pass, but like buying a used car you have to be ready to walk maybe multiple times if the deal isnt worth it... The UFA part is the leverage... Im okay giving up 28th, and and AHLer not named Quinn or Peterka... something to kick the tires on... Im ok if it doesnt happen.

What does giving up a 28th pick in a stacked draft do.  I just think you use it and draft a longer term fixture.  I like Patrick Kane, and I think he'd be an amazing get; however I'm focused on the development.  Patrick Kane, speaks Tim Murray or Botterill all over again.  Speeding up the process; when as we saw, sticking to the guideline actually worked.  Kane isn't even a 25 year old Evander Kane.  He's an amazing veteran that helps a team like the Rangers get over the hump.  He's a terrible fit for the Sabres.  That's like a pig ***** farmer buying a Maserati and deciding to use it as his house.  I might be far off base, and yes I want to end the playoff drought.  But using assets unwisely needs to stop.

Edited by Rasmus_
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

What does giving up a 28th pick in a stacked draft do.  I just think you use it and draft a longer term fixture.  I like Patrick Kane, and I think he'd be an amazing get; however I'm focused on the development.  Patrick Kane, speaks Tim Murray or Botterill all over again.  Speeding up the process; when as we saw, sticking to the guideline actually worked.  Kane isn't even a 25 year old Evander Kane.  He's an amazing veteran that helps a team like the Rangers get over the hump.  He's a terrible fit for the Sabres.  That's like a pig ***** farmer buying a Maserati and deciding to use it as his house.  I might be far off base, and yes I want to end the playoff drought.  But using assets unwisely needs to stop.

Not agreeing or disagreeing.

But would you rather have a few years of a still pretty damn good Patty Kane? Or a 20 per cent chance of Anthony Beauvillier and an 80 per cent chance of any of Noah Juulsen, Jacob Larsson, Gabriel Carlsson or Nick Merkley?

Those were the 5 players taken around pick 28 in the best draft of the past 20 years.

How about Josh Ho-Sang, Morgan Kilmchuk, Brady Skjei, ZachPhillips, or Charlie Coyle?

Those were pick 28 from 2010 to 2014.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/27/2022 at 9:47 AM, jsb said:

the greatest American born player who happens to be from WNY

Ummm, Mike Modano is from Livonia, MI.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:01 AM, Flashsabre said:

And he can only play about 25 games a season too.

So you're saying he won't be blocking any prospects?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumpin' this ***** because CHI just moved out Patrick Kane's opposing winger, with whom Kane played the majority of his 5v5 ice time with.  DeBrincat had 78P in 82GP and was under contract through this next season.  Perhaps this is the beginning of the CHI fire sale.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

44 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Right before CHI picks at 16.

#showtime

If Kevyn Adams is stupid enough to trade the 16th overall pick for a 34 year old winger with 1 year left on his deal... won't have to worry about winning a cup in my lifetime.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Kevyn Adams is stupid enough to trade the 16th overall pick for a 34 year old winger with 1 year left on his deal... won't have to worry about winning a cup in my lifetime.

Despite Pegs love for Kane, not happening.  He might make sense as an UFA next year but not this year, giving up draft capital

I’ll say this, the chances of an actually good goalie waiving his no trade clause to come here probably goes up appreciably with a Kane, a Manson and a really good bottom 6 forward.  

Thats playoffs IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.