Patrick Kane

tom webster

I understand all the pros and cons. People that know me know that as a result of past business dealings, I have no live for the Kane family.

However, the people that think that we want him because he was born in WNY have it backwards. He wants us because he was born here. We want him because he is an elite winger still at the top of his game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, those are 2 real assets the Sabres would be giving up, but if Kane would sign, say, a 3 years x $7MM extension as part of the deal, I'm in.  I'd also be in if the price included #28 this year instead of the future #1 and Portillo.

And holy mackerel would I be psyched for next season.

I’d give’m #16 and Portillo, and I think Chicago still might not do it.

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Wait the year, pay 0 in assets.

This gives the team another whole season to further progress. They'll be fighting for a playoff spot, a decent 50/50 they can earn one.

The assets bolster the pipeline for the future with potential. 

A 34 yr old Kane on a 2 or 3 yr deal, with an even stronger team of youth who have accumulated some experience appears to be a good fit imho.

That would never happen, though. Chicago would never let him leave without getting something.

5 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Uhhhh NO thank you..... We could not get what we were asking for Jack and should not pay anything close to that for PK. Do not mortgage the farm for the love of a local player. I would love him on the Sabres but not by giving up 4 pieces for a 1 year wait. 

Seeing the term “mortgage” makes me want to kick a puppy. PK will be a better player for the next three years than any piece we would be sending in their direction to make it happen.

And Tom is right-

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I understand all the pros and cons. People that know me know that as a result of past business dealings, I have no live for the Kane family.

However, the people that think that we want him because he was born in WNY have it backwards. He wants us because he was born here. We want him because he is an elite winger still at the top of his game.

I could not care any less that he is from Buffalo. I want him because he’s really good. I’ll let DG and KA decide if it’s a fit or not. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I can’t tell you how delighted this old curmudgeon was to see you use “washed up” instead of the current preferred method of jerkholes everywhere of using “washed” 

I've never heard of the "washed" term yet, I'm sure my son will be saying it any day now. I must be an old timer also 🤣.

As long as the cost isn't prohibitive, the reasons the Sabres make this deal:

1. Kane is still productive and would immediately become our best RW if not best winger period
  2. If he agreed to come here it's because he WANTS to be here, a KA prerogative
  3. Not only does Granato know him but Adams if I'm not mistaken played with him for a year also
  4. He's only owed 6.9M this year plus the added bonus of fan enthusiasm and season ticket sales would skyrocket compared to last year, don't discount this because it would probably be the #1 reason we make this deal
  5. If things don't work out they could probably recoup whatever it is they give up at the trade deadline. 

If this is true, you make the deal. 16, Portillo and Johnson (who probably won't sign here anyway) you make this work.

• Like (+1) 2

I guess I missed the goalie trade since we've moved onto acquiring Patrick Kane?  I'm pretty sure goal is still the number one priority for the Sabres.

In terms of a trade I speculated they could have worked out an Eichel trade last season if they had wanted to (I liked Kirby Dach (who had a poor season this year) and Lucas Reichel (who played with Peterka in the WJC).  I agree with many of the others to wait until he's a UFA.  I imagine that he'll want to try to play for a contending Cup team when the trade deadline comes around and that will be the best value that the Hawks will get assuming they eat as much of his salary as they can (and most likely take back some salary too in the trade).

15 minutes ago, jsb said:

1. Kane is still productive and would immediately become our best RW if not best winger period
  3. Not only does Granato know him but Adams if I'm not mistaken played with him for a year also
  4. He's only owed 6.9M this year plus the added bonus of fan enthusiasm and season ticket sales would skyrocket compared to last year, don't discount this because it would probably be the #1 reason we make this deal
  5. If things don't work out they could probably recoup whatever it is they give up at the trade deadline. 

If this is true, you make the deal. 16, Portillo and Johnson (who probably won't sign here anyway) you make this work.

Well done, he played 27 games with the Hawks in 07-08

20 minutes ago, jsb said:

WHY?  Where does this get the team next year?  Not into the playoffs, not with this goaltending.  RW is not the issue right now and will not be the issue in two years.  Any sacrifice of assets must be to improve the team in the back end and/or long-term, not to provide us with a misguided panacea for Sabre fandom this coming October.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

WHY?  Where does this get the team next year?  Not into the playoffs, not with this goaltending.  RW is not the issue right now and will not be the issue in two years.  Any sacrifice of assets must be to improve the team in the back end and/or long-term, not to provide us with a misguided panacea for Sabre fandom this coming October.  

I agree it doesn't get us a GK but it will stir up fan enthusiasm again, which leads to ticket sales, which hopefully leads to a better record than we've had in a long time, which also hopefully leads to us getting a better GK than what appears possible at the moment. If Thomas is correct and the cost to get him isn't really high, I don't see the downside to this. Plus having Tuch and Kane as endorses of the product can't hurt either.

Edited by jsb

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Only forward position needing upgrading or future is Center..

1 minute ago, jsb said:

GK but it will stir up fan enthusiasm again, which leads to ticket sales, which hopefully leads to a better record than we've had in a long time, which also hopefully leads to us getting a better GK than what appears possible at the moment.

It's the third link that's the problem.  Ticket sales do not lead to a better record; they result from it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's the third link that's the problem.  Ticket sales do not lead to a better record; they result from it.

I feel like you're arguing semantics, I'm having a hard time not believing having Tuch, Kane, Thompson, Dahlin and Power as the faces of the franchise to start the year doesn't put way more fannies in the stands this coming year than last year.

Edited by jsb

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Wait,… so we’re not trying to win next season yet, either!?

JFC!

When are we ever going to try and actually win and not care more about the next season after next season?

• Like (+1) 4

If Chicago wants the cap space, and Kane has the NMC and wants to come here, then you don’t have to give up much. And screw waiting another year, secure his services now for cheap. He brings points, and can help show the rookies what it takes to succeed.

Give them VO and/or Johnson, and a 3rd rounder. No use for VO if Kane will be here. 

I know goalie is what we need most, and this helps address it by making Buffalo a more attractive option. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If Chicago wants the cap space, and Kane has the NMC and wants to come here, then you don’t have to give up much. And screw waiting another year, secure his services now for cheap. He brings points, and can help show the rookies what it takes to succeed.

Give them VO and/or Johnson, and a 3rd rounder. No use for VO if Kane will be here. 

I know goalie is what we need most, and this helps address it by making Buffalo a more attractive option. 

and if Kane walks in a year, but you could have locked up VO for 3-5 years instead?  How much are you paying Kane to stay?  What about his poor off the ice reputation?  

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

and if Kane walks in a year, but you could have locked up VO for 3-5 years instead?  How much are you paying Kane to stay?  What about his poor off the ice reputation?  

Kane isnt walking in a year. He waived his NMC to come here. He made it clear he wanted to end his career in Buff. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.