Patrick Kane

tom webster

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Obviously. Conversely, the fact he is from here and has expressed interest in coming here, is exactly why it exists.

It’s more likely Ryan Johnson and a future #1.

Well, those are 2 real assets the Sabres would be giving up, but if Kane would sign, say, a 3 years x $7MM extension as part of the deal, I'm in.  I'd also be in if the price included #28 this year instead of the future #1 and Portillo.

And holy mackerel would I be psyched for next season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To play Devil’s advocate: Reasons it could happen this year:

1) Kane would help the team on the ice in a big way. He put up 90+ points on a bad team.

2) Which leads to getting  people in the building. More buzz, team playing better, hometown boys Kane and Tuch helping lead the charge 

3) Adding Kane would help attract some free agents that might be on the fence or leaning no towards Buffalo.

4) Sabres can make it work with the cap.

5) Here’s the biggest reason: If Terry wants it to happen. We’ve waited11 years, let’s not make it 12 without the playoffs. Don’t know where his mindset is now especially with Kim’s situation but it might simply come down to Terry wants it to happen so it’s going to happen.

If the acquisition cost is as low as TomWebster thinks it is then pull the trigger. Get more buzz around these young guys. Grab a legit goalie and make a run at the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

Wait the year, pay 0 in assets.

This gives the team another whole season to further progress. They'll be fighting for a playoff spot, a decent 50/50 they can earn one.

The assets bolster the pipeline for the future with potential. 

A 34 yr old Kane on a 2 or 3 yr deal, with an even stronger team of youth who have accumulated some experience appears to be a good fit imho.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Stads said:

Blackhawks Fansided has three hypothetical Kane trades:

1) Quinn, 2nd and 3rd Round Pick

2) Cozens, Bryson, Vegas pick (16)

3) VO, Mitts, Vegas pick, Panthers Pick

https://dawindycity.com/2022/06/18/3-patrick-kane-trade-packages-buffalo-sabres/

Is MJ legal where he is from? Crack maybe? NO!!!! I know you have to give to get but he needs to be treated like a one year rental unless there is a locked in extension.

At 32 years old Kane put up 92 points so he's not washed up but he'd most likely be taking either Peterka or Quinn's spot away right? Also I'd guarantee the minimum would be a 1st round pick and maybe a prospect. They had a previous vezina trophy winner in Marc-Andre Fleury in net and still couldn't make the playoffs, I just don't think it would make much sense for us other than nostalgia imo.

14 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

At 32 years old Kane put up 92 points so he's not washed up but he'd most likely be taking either Peterka or Quinn's spot away right? Also I'd guarantee the minimum would be a 1st round pick and maybe a prospect. They had a previous vezina trophy winner in Marc-Andre Fleury in net and still couldn't make the playoffs, I just don't think it would make much sense for us other than nostalgia imo.

The majority of that was assists.  So, could see him with Skinner, Olofsson, or Peterka on the other wing.  (Not all preferentially play LW, but imagine they'd be willing to make it work playing w/ 2 playmakers.)

I don't trade for him at all (caveat: unless it's Kane + Chicago's unprotected 2023 1st to take his salary, then sure. Heck, I'd throw in that Dallas 7th and some future considerations). I'm fine with UFA next season, but I'm happy to keep a hard forechecking young lineup with a boatload of 1sts and 2nds coming while he gets his age 34-37 contract elsewhere.

But more importantly, I don't do anything with Kane until I see this year's team. I need to know what VO wants (is he long-term or short-term and be ready to move?). I need to know if Quinn can stay healthy be a top-6 wing. Next offseason I've got RFAs in Cozens, Thompson, and Samuelsson. I'm not signing (or extending) Kane with a M-NTC/NMC that he'll require until I know what Tage and Cozens are going to project and sign to. I need to know if Okposo is coming back on a 4th liner's contract or if Kane would take his spot outright. I'm not getting suckered into a Skinner contract and I'm not falling for the TPeg "if we sign Hall trade for Kane we're a contender" garbage. In summation, go get an NHL goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

It wasn’t that long ago that Donnie Granato was an assistant coach with the Blackhawks. Any concerns about fit should be easily addressed there.

Conversely questions Kane would have about our direction would also have to be influenced by that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

It was even brought up on a Elliot Friedman bit, and on this one, I can 100% guarantee you that it has been discussed by all the important components. Like I said initially, still lot of reasons why it won’t happen this year, but I wouldn’t bet against it.

Thanks.  I think it makes a lot more sense next offseason though.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It wasn’t that long ago that Donnie Granato was an assistant coach with the Blackhawks. Any concerns about fit should be easily addressed there.

Conversely questions Kane would have about our direction would also have to be influenced by that.

Kane stats while working with Granato:

2017-18 82GP 27G 49A 76P

2018-19 81GP 44G 66A* 110P*

*career highs

4 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Kane stats while working with Granato:

2017-18 82GP 27G 49A 76P

2018-19 81GP 44G 66A* 110P*

*career highs

There's no room in Buffalo for that kind of production. 🙂

Still on the "don't want to give anything significant up (if anything), wait until 2023-07-01 (or whenever it is now) and sign for free as the UFA playoff/SCF vet that pushes the Sabres deep into the playoffs.". Still worried about off-ice stuff, but DG would know I think.

• Like (+1) 1

There's a potential scenario for a blockbuster draft trade.  I could definitely see CHI/BUF/NHL colluding to send #9 or #16 (and other things) to CHI for Kane (and maybe other things). We'd still have two 1sts, including #9 or #16.  Quinn, Cozens, Mitts et al don't go anywhere.  CHI would get back into the 1st round (they don't have a 1st this year; they were to pick #6).  The league would definitely wait until the pick to announce this.  The draft's in MTL so it won't get booed on TV by Hawks fans.  That kind of draft day spectacle would make Gary Bettman's maw moist.

Over the past three years, Kane's rankings:

Goals 32nd

Assists 5th

Points 7th

P/GP 11th

Kane hasn't had any major injuries.  His game is kind to his longevity.  One of seven active players with three Stanley Cups.  His speed may wear off in the next couple of years, but his hands and veteran influence will last.

If BUF thinks they have any edge on the market for a player that produces like that, you have to believe they're going to pursue it.  We have the draft capital.

6 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

We have thought / wished this for years.  Well, not all of us fans.

My big concern is has he matured, which I think he probably has now that he is 33.

For whatever reason this offseason feels a bit different on the P. Kane front, as least to me.  With all the draft picks the Sabres have plus them getting to see where they stand on some of the kids I feel it's likely to happen.  The Hawks must be at the point where they are ready to try to move on from there dynamic duo.

Mitts, VO and #16 for Kane ??  Maybe #28 and a 3rd rounder instead of #16 ??

Just no.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm not sure if I want him for 'free' (assets) next year, it depends on the length of the contract he would want next year.

With that in mind, ZERO interest in giving up anything of real value for him this year. A later draft pick, MAYBE (and then I'd need convincing he is worth it/fits in with the team), but I honestly have zero desire for this team to get anyone over the age of 30. For me, a lot of the fun of this team is seeing it develop from a bunch of young guys to see them mature.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Just no.

Agree. I’m definitely one of them that is on the NO train as well. I couldn’t care less that his mommy squirted him out in WNY. And I certainly don’t want to give up any assets for Kane. Again, cons outweigh the pros, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Agree. I’m definitely one of them that is on the NO train as well. I couldn’t care less that his mommy squirted him out in WNY. And I certainly don’t want to give up any assets for Kane. Again, cons outweigh the pros, IMO.

IF they go after him, both Adams & Granato, 1 of whom who has actually had extensive experience seeing him every day and the other has likely spoken with him as it's hard to believe their paths haven't crossed on occasion, will have decided that the pros outweigh the cons.

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I can’t tell you how delighted this old curmudgeon was to see you use “washed up” instead of the current preferred method of jerkholes everywhere of using “washed” 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.