Patrick Kane

tom webster

Understandably, people want to bring the hometown boy back to Buffalo.

But if you take the emotions out of it, it doesn't make sense to give up any picks, prospects, or young talent to acquire an aging vet. 

If he really wants to play in Buffalo, let him sign in another year as a UFA with a large hometown discount. 

33 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Hawks will not let him walk in fa.  If he won't allow a trade he will sign with Chicago to ebd his career there.  I think he will either accept a trade to Buffalo or sign a cheap deal in Chicago to finish his career there.  I don't think he wants to play anywhere other than Chicago or Buffalo.

Even if he gets traded, it'd be as a rental. He could sign his Buffalo friendly UFA contract after that, if that's really what he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1

IF a trade were to happen, don't see the Sabres giving up any more than what they did in '18 to pick up Skinner.  That was Pu, a 2nd rounder in the next season's draft & a 6th rounder the year after that.

So, w/ that being the benchmark, it would be something like R2 Rou2 or Biro, the Vegas 2nd, & a 6th or 7th in '24.  IF that's all they give up or they give up even less AND they're comfortable on the character questions, then fine.  Will get them to the floor w/ no questions about later in the year & won't deplete any non-replaceable assets that fit into the LT future.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Id give up next to 0 assets for a player that will be a UFA in 2023 and is turning 34.

Totally agree. Does this board realize the Blackhawks had 68 pts last year? Buffalo earned 75.
If Kane gets traded to Buffalo (or anywhere), it’s a mercy trade and possibly a a cap dump scenario.  

Bear in mind Kane has a full no-move clause, so that’ll limit any trade return the Hawks could potentially get. He holds the cards. 

Think the Giroux deadline deal (also had a full no-move clause and only wanted to go to Florida): Phili got back an AHL/NHL tweener forward (33pts in 99 NHL games, 23 years old), a first round pick in two years (top ten protected), and third round pick next year. AND Phili retained 50% of salary in that deal.  

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I know, but if Chicago is going to move on then they will want something for him.

They can have Dallas's seventh-round pick if they really need something.  Every GM in the league knows Chicago is desperate to move on from this contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Mitts, VO and #16 for Kane ??  Maybe #28 and a 3rd rounder instead of #16 ??

I'd offer two non first round picks. If they try to ask for more I hang up and block the number(I don't really want him or like spending anything of value on someone over 28)

Kane had 92 pts and played nearly 22 min per game last year.  He is still an elite player.

There is zero possibility that Chicago trades him for a package that doesn't include a 1st-rounder and a good prospect -- like, say, #16 and Peterka.  Unless he falls off the table this year they will get at least that much at the deadline for him.  And there is zero possibility that KA gives up that much for him.

There is also zero possibility that Kane signs an extension with the Sabres or anyone else this summer for less than $7MM per year.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Kane had 92 pts and played nearly 22 min per game last year.  He is still an elite player.

There is zero possibility that Chicago trades him for a package that doesn't include a 1st-rounder and a good prospect -- like, say, #16 and Peterka.  Unless he falls off the table this year they will get at least that much at the deadline for him.  And there is zero possibility that KA gives up that much for him.

There is also zero possibility that Kane signs an extension with the Sabres or anyone else this summer for less than $7MM per year.

Chicago is welcome to trade him anywhere else, then.  Kane isn't going to help what the Sabres are doing here and now.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No one is arguing his usefulness as a player. But the guy has one year left on a team worse than Buffalo and a full no-trade clause. If Chicago wants to pay him 10.5M in cap hit (6.9M in salary) to chase 80 points as a team, the league’s GMs will let them. 

The Hawks have no bargaining power.

I stated above that the Giroux trade deadline deal is a fair template and still think so.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Chicago is welcome to trade him anywhere else, then.  Kane isn't going to help what the Sabres are doing here and now.

They aren’t actually welcome to trade him ANYWHERE else.  If the really want to trade him, and he says “trade me to Buffalo, or I’ll just wait for UFA” then Chicago’s hands are very tied and they won’t get much of anything for him.  Kane won’t do that though, so it’s moot.  I would be shocked if Buffalo traded for him.  Maybe they can sign him in 13 months though.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Whatever.

You don't have to.  I do.

Lol.  Is this place supposed to be fun?  Fun, jokes, haha.

I do trust Tom.  I just wasn’t sure if he was referring to fan speculation or to stuff he’s heard from people who might know.  He has made the distinction for clarity at times in the past.

Just now, steveoath said:

Lol at the people trading a 1st rounder plus stuff. If they aren't retaining then I'd offer up future considerations.

For an elite RW in the NHL that at 33+ is a PPG player and plays over 20 minutes / game ??

Kane at 33+ has lost virtually nothing from his primest of his prime years.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lol.  Is this place supposed to be fun?  Fun, jokes, haha.

I do trust Tom.  I just wasn’t sure if he was referring to fan speculation or to stuff he’s heard from people who might know.  He has made the distinction for clarity at times in the past.

Sorry.  Yup.  Supposed to be fun.

Anyway ...

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

2 minutes ago, Stads said:

Blackhawks Fansided has three hypothetical Kane trades:

1) Quinn, 2nd and 3rd Round Pick

2) Cozens, Bryson, Vegas pick (16)

3) VO, Mitts, Vegas pick, Panthers Pick

https://dawindycity.com/2022/06/18/3-patrick-kane-trade-packages-buffalo-sabres/

It is too hard to choose, can we just give all those assets up for Kane.🤣🤣

Unlike some, I would love to see Patrick Kane close his career out in Buffalo. But I’m not giving up any quality young pieces for him with the age, contract and UFA status upcoming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Stads said:

Blackhawks Fansided has three hypothetical Kane trades:

1) Quinn, 2nd and 3rd Round Pick

2) Cozens, Bryson, Vegas pick (16)

3) VO, Mitts, Vegas pick, Panthers Pick

https://dawindycity.com/2022/06/18/3-patrick-kane-trade-packages-buffalo-sabres/

Kane's actual market value is irrelevant in terms of a trade to Buffalo.

He is indisputably a luxury right now for a team at the stage Buffalo is at in its build, and you don't flip building blocks for luxuries.

The best pieces I'd be willing to part with are VO and Portillo. VO and Kane fill similar roles; they get age and cap space, we get talent. Portillo fills a huge need in their system.

We don't need Kane right now. If we want him and he wants us, there's always next summer.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, steveoath said:

But it's the alledged circumstances that limit the option NS. If he has full nmc and wants to come here, why should we be paying through the nose for a 1 year rental? We are the bruins here in the Hall scenario.

I can understand that.

Bottom line, it's not likely to happen because the Sabres are not likely to want to pay the cost.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Kane acquisition cost is low, this would make VO expendable via trade to recoup any spent assets. And then some. 

This would also put Tuch on the second line, which is a perfect spot for him.  

I could certainly be talked into this deal.

The time to step on the gas toward making the playoffs is now. The team’s salary structure is ripe for a move like this.
If Kane came to Buffalo, it gets a whole lot easier to envision the best available goaltending options following him into town. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If the Kane acquisition cost is low, this would make VO expendable via trade to recoup any spent assets. And then some. 

This would also put Tuch on the second line, which is a perfect spot for him.  

I could certainly be talked into this deal.

The time to step on the gas toward making the playoffs is now. The team’s salary structure is ripe for a move like this.
If Kane came to Buffalo, it gets a whole lot easier to envision the best available goaltending options following him into town. 

If they did have Kane, would be more inclined to put him w/ Mittelstadt leaving the Thompson line alone.  LH C vs RH C.  Not sure who would go on that other wing.  +/-'s for any of Olofsson, Krebs, Asplund, or one of the kids there.  (Hinostroza too if he comes back.)

Probably an academic exercise anyhow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.