Kim Pegula suffered a Cardiac Arrest;Has residual Aphasia and Memory Issues

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Are we making a distinction between media and reporters? if you’re using those two terms interchangeably …. We will just have to agree to disagree. I really truly have seen reporters be repugnant and disrespectful to privacy and ethical matters. Oh well. Again, I am glad so far, the reporters have respect and like the Pegula‘s by and large now.

I am simply referring to whose job it is to report information to the public.

Im sure that there are innumerable examples of unethical reporting.

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

She is, imo, the most important and influential public figure in WNY. That alone makes her health newsworthy. The family's plea to "respect our privacy" is something that is routinely requested and, I presume, granted when the person is a person of little or no public importance. That's just not the case here.

She is the co-owner - and heretofore the presumed future lone owner - of the most treasured and beloved  institution in the region. That makes her health newsworthy.

The State and County recently approved spending $850M to directly benefit a company of which she is president. That makes her health newsworthy.

I don't see this as a complicated analysis in the least.

And let's be clear: Reporters aren't refraining from covering the issue, or at least attempting to cover it, because they're observing some sort of moral obligation to allow someone to keep their health a private matter. Rather, it appears that the media's not functioning in the way it's supposed to because members of that industry are averse to upsetting or offending PSE. 

The details of her health… Are none of your business, plain and simple no matter how your feelings are in the matter. Feelings. The fact that she’s even in the hospital and we know that… Is more than enough. Let alone, the additional information of the ICU. Let alone the additional information that she’s improving.

feelings, shouldn’t take precedence over personal health privacy no matter who the person on this planet is.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

She is, imo, the most important and influential public figure in WNY. That alone makes her health newsworthy. The family's plea to "respect our privacy" is something that is routinely requested and, I presume, granted when the person is a person of little or no public importance. That's just not the case here.

She is the co-owner - and heretofore the presumed future lone owner - of the most treasured and beloved  institution in the region. That makes her health newsworthy.

The State and County recently approved spending $850M to directly benefit a company of which she is president. That makes her health newsworthy.

And let's be clear: Reporters aren't refraining from covering the issue, or at least attempting to cover it, because they're observing some sort of moral obligation to allow someone to keep their health a private matter. Rather, it appears that the media's not functioning in the way it's supposed to because members of that industry are averse to upsetting or offending PSE. 

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Haha, if the local media is respecting her medical privacy, it's not just a failure of journalistic integrity, it's a conspiracy.

What a ***** take.

I don’t know what the ***** stand for, but it certainly is kooky.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

The details of her health… Are none of your business, plain and simple no matter how your feelings are in the matter. Feelings. The fact that she’s even in the hospital and we know that… Is more than enough. Let alone, the additional information of the ICU. Let alone the additional information that she’s improving.

feelings, shouldn’t take precedence over personal health privacy no matter who the person on this planet is.

I'm not sure how my feelings got implicated. This is my opinion. My opinion is based on certain facts, as outlined above. 

Underlying my opinion here: If you buy the Bills (our Bills)** and secure $850M in public money to benefit the club and you project to be the sole owner of the Bills in the latter stages of your life ... well, you are sacrificing the sort of anonymity that just about everyone enjoys if and when their health takes a turn for the worse. You're a public figure. 

** No offence to the Sabres, but I'm limiting it to the Bills, as their appeal is so much more far-reaching.

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Haha, if the local media is respecting her medical privacy, it's not just a failure of journalistic integrity, it's a conspiracy.

What a ***** take.

Nowhere did I say it was a conspiracy.

A generalized failure, sure.

But - setting aside the deep dive disclaimer - I'm open to someone learned in the ways of J-ethics to edumacate me on why journos are ethically obliged not to make a story of a leading public figure's health.

I agree with most of this but not the bolded.

She is clearly undergoing a pretty serious medical situation.  That situation will resolve itself one way or another (hopefully with a positive outcome!) soon enough, and at that point there will almost certainly be some kind of announcement.  It may take a few more weeks.  In the meantime, I don't see how the public's interest is in any way harmed or jeopardized by our not knowing, right now, exactly what her condition is.  Yes, she's the 50% owner of our sports teams, and perhaps (not definitely) the 100% owner someday.  She doesn't have the launch codes or the deciding vote on an important piece of legislation -- or really anything that someone else can't handle at the moment.

Her family is highly likely in the middle of a difficult, stressful, desperate and emotional time.  A bunch of articles exploring exactly how dire the situation is would ratchet up the tension on them -- and for what?  Just because we want to know?

I can't agree with you on this one.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with most of this but not the bolded.

She is clearly undergoing a pretty serious medical situation.  That situation will resolve itself one way or another (hopefully with a positive outcome!) soon enough, and at that point there will almost certainly be some kind of announcement.  It may take a few more weeks.  In the meantime, I don't see how the public's interest is in any way harmed or jeopardized by our not knowing, right now, exactly what her condition is.  Yes, she's the 50% owner of our sports teams, and perhaps (not definitely) the 100% owner someday.  She doesn't have the launch codes or the deciding vote on an important piece of legislation -- or really anything that someone else can't handle at the moment.

Her family is highly likely in the middle of a difficult, stressful, desperate and emotional time.  A bunch of articles exploring exactly how dire the situation is would ratchet up the tension on them -- and for what?  Just because we want to know?

I can't agree with you on this one.

This is a fair counterpoint. More than fair. 

I think I'm being a bit of a jerk about this, tbh. But maybe not a total jackass? AITA?

I just really want to know what's going on - at a high level, no details. I have a bad feeling that I can't shake about (1) her health and, following on that, (2) the Bills being in WNY long-term. (The Sabres' fate here isn't as tied to the Pegulas, I don't think.)

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think that knowing she is in the hospital, in the ICU, and is improving (or was at least) is more than enough.  There is no reason that you need to know her exact condition, or receive daily updates.  It’s not going to benefit you or help you in any way.  I think you are just being nosy.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think that knowing she is in the hospital, in the ICU, and is improving (or was at least) is more than enough.

For you it is.

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

There is no reason that you need to know her exact condition, or receive daily updates.

I haven't asked for either of those things.

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s not going to benefit you or help you in any way.

That's not for you to say.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think you are just being nosy.

Well, I'm definitely being nosy. But not just nosy. Not gratuitously so. No, sir.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

For you it is.

I haven't asked for either of those things.

That's not for you to say.

Well, I'm definitely being nosy. But not just nosy. Not gratuitously so. No, sir.

What exactly would you like to know then?

How would knowing it make a difference in your life?

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

What exactly would you like to know then?

57 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I just really want to know what's going on - at a high level, no details.

This mostly captures it - albeit imperfectly.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

How would knowing it make a difference in your life?

It would probably do one of 2 things with regard a matter of public concern and interest: Dispel a gnawing fear, or tend to confirm it. Either way, I'd have some closure on the issue and hopefully move on from it. 

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This mostly captures it - albeit imperfectly.

It would probably do one of 2 things with regard a matter of public concern and interest: Dispel a gnawing fear, or tend to confirm it. Either way, I'd have some closure on the issue and hopefully move on from it. 

I can understand the desire to know.  I would like to know too, but it’s not important that I know.

I do not place your or my desire for “closure” above the wishes for privacy of a family going through a difficult time.  I feel it’s appropriate that updates happen on their timeline, not yours.

In the end, we will know whether Kim is healthy enough to continue her role with PSE.  I don’t really think anyone should feel owed more than that.

Edited by Curt

This is a fair counterpoint. More than fair. 

I think I'm being a bit of a jerk about this, tbh. But maybe not a total jackass? AITA?

I just really want to know what's going on - at a high level, no details. I have a bad feeling that I can't shake about (1) her health and, following on that, (2) the Bills being in WNY long-term. (The Sabres' fate here isn't as tied to the Pegulas, I don't think.)

NTA, but IMHO a bit insensitive.  "I just really want to know what's going on" isn't a good enough reason, again IMHO.

It's a complex situation, and I'd also like to know how she's doing, and I agree that the $850MM in public money gives the public a bit more of an interest in the situation than would otherwise be the case.  But I think it's still way too soon for the public to have a right to know that would outweigh the family's right to privacy.  If it drags on for months, or if it looks like the stadium deal might be in jeopardy?  Then it's fair to revisit the question. 

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

NTA, but IMHO a bit insensitive.  "I just really want to know what's going on" isn't a good enough reason, again IMHO.

It's a complex situation, and I'd also like to know how she's doing, and I agree that the $850MM in public money gives the public a bit more of an interest in the situation than would otherwise be the case.  But I think it's still way too soon for the public to have a right to know that would outweigh the family's right to privacy.  If it drags on for months, or if it looks like the stadium deal might be in jeopardy?  Then it's fair to revisit the question. 

Ok, let’s bring some civility back into this.

What’s the latest? Is she getting better? Same? Worse?

11 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What a thread, 

Ethical ethos aside. 

It's none of our damn business, they point blank asked their community for privacy, and respectfully so. 

We grant them that. 

The end. 

I just couldn’t understand why fellow forum members were biting each others’ heads off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

"I just really want to know what's going on" isn't a good enough reason, again IMHO.

“NTA” … And to think I was so magnanimous re your initial reply.

I want to know something newsworthy. Something incredibly newsworthy. That’s my reason, and I’ll stick to it.

”Really wanting to know” would fall short if the matter weren’t so newsworthy and relevant to matters of public interest. But it is, on both counts.

I got started on this because I didn’t like that Graham acknowledged in his tweet that he wasn’t going to push the matter because, as I read his statement, he didn’t want to be blackballed by PSE. 

I do see the other side of the matter — that even the most public figures may be entitled to privacy in such circumstances — a privacy that includes the press/media standing down. 

33 minutes ago, FogBat said:

I just couldn’t understand why fellow forum members were biting each others’ heads off.

We’re having a discussion.

46 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What a thread, 

Ethical ethos aside. 

It's none of our damn business, they point blank asked their community for privacy, and respectfully so. 

We grant them that. 

The end. 

A prominent public figure. The fate of the Bills could ultimately be in the balance. Chief officer of a company that recently received nearly a billion dollars from the public fisc.

It’s newsworthy.

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

Ok, let’s bring some civility back into this.

What’s the latest? Is she getting better? Same? Worse?

No one is being uncivil.

There’s no new information.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

A prominent public figure. The fate of the Bills could ultimately be in the balance. Chief officer of a company that recently received nearly a billion dollars from the public fisc.

It’s newsworthy. 

Yes, this is true. 

However as a human, they asked for a reasonable request and I have no reason to pry into something when they asked for privacy. I would respect it if it came from a bum or from a billionaire. 

My guess is that the answer will come out in due time. 

• Like (+1) 5

29 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

However as a human, they asked for a reasonable request and I have no reason to pry into something when they asked for privacy. I would respect it if it came from a bum or from a billionaire. 

I respect that.

And I didn’t intend to pry. I do wonder why no one in the media is reporting new information on it. Like I said, maybe I need a crash course in what journo ethics prescribe in this sort of situation.

As to your last point: Part of my thesis here is that if you have billions of dollars and buy a region’s most cherished institution, you surrender, in whole or in part, the anonymity you once had. To what extent you surrender it is a fair point of debate.

A couple things:

1. I had a premonition that we haven’t heard “boo” since the press release because Terry and Kim are hoping that Kim will deliver a message via video recording as the next bit of news on her recovery. And that it’s taking some time to be ready to do that. 🤞 

2. I hope that the passage of time means that she stabilized and, if necessary or advisable, was moved to a nearby major medical centre. That Boca hospital and its freely given ICU status leak did not inspire confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.