Kim Pegula suffered a Cardiac Arrest;Has residual Aphasia and Memory Issues

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I continue to wish Kim Pegula well in her recovery.

This recent Investigative Post report on the MOU for the new stadium lease points to the valid reasons that members of the public - a public that is footing the $850M bill - may want to know more about Kim's prognosis.

image.thumb.png.c9196fc3f3cb6037d22a957ce475843d.png

https://www.investigativepost.org/2023/01/16/bills-new-stadium-lease-is-not-ironclad/

You lost me. How does Kim's health impact the lease buyout?

You do realize there was always a $400MM poison pill attached to the current Bills lease. 

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You lost me. How does Kim's health impact the lease buyout?

Terry’s age and Kim’s uncertain health would seem to increase the risk of the Bills’ being relocated by a new owner. Especially if the new lease doesn’t do enough to prohibit or discourage the same.

33 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

That article is gross.

You want an iron-clad way to keep the Bills in WNY if they use public funds for stadium construction?  Fine.  You want to compel an individual to release their private medical information because you want more ammunition to motivate the state/county to negotiate a more iron-clad way to keep the Bills in WNY?  Gross.

No one is compelling anything, nor can such be compelled. Kim’s prognosis and plans for (capacities in) the future are relevant to the future of the Bills in Buffalo. “Gross,” maybe. But those are the facts, imo.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Terry’s age and Kim’s uncertain health would seem to increase the risk of the Bills’ being relocated by a new owner. Especially if the new lease doesn’t do enough to prohibit or discourage the same.

But it does discourage relocating, by about a billion dollars. Like I said before, the last Bills lease had a $400MM buyout. Terry himself could pay off that state contribution and move the team if he wanted to. Nothing is ever set in stone. I bet more than half the teams in the NFL could be moved with enough money.

No one is compelling anything, nor can such be compelled. Kim’s prognosis and plans for (capacities in) the future are relevant to the future of the Bills in Buffalo. “Gross,” maybe. But those are the facts, imo.

You assume a lot.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But it does discourage relocating, by about a billion dollars. Like I said before, the last Bills lease had a $400MM buyout. Terry himself could pay off that state contribution and move the team if he wanted to. Nothing is ever set in stone. I bet more than half the teams in the NFL could be moved with enough money.

$850M give or take. And that amount amortizes at some point (15 years?). Given what the value of an NFL franchise should be at that point ($10B?), that buyout would offer little to no problem for a potential buyer with billions to throw around.

Whether other clubs would be susceptible is beside the point. Buffalo’s the smallest market going. We need the Pegulas and their beneficence.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You assume a lot.

I do my best.

Edited by That Aud Smell

$850M give or take. And that amount amortizes at some point (15 years?). Given what the value of an NFL franchise should be at that point ($10B?), that buyout would offer little to no problem for a potential buyer with billions to throw around.

Whether other clubs would be susceptible is beside the point. Buffalo’s the smallest market going. We need the Pegulas and their beneficence.

I do my best.

That's just how it is for Buffalo. The only reason we have teams in two major pro leagues is legacy. Lose either team and they will never be replaced.

But the good news is we get our $850MM back.

I think being a small market is meaning less and less these days. The NFL in particular if very accessible wherever you live and it means less to TV revenue that Buffalo isn't a massive market if they still get massive rating across the country. 

Buffalo Bills are about 20th in TV viewership (will verify this more but that's what my initial scan says) so sure they might be the 32nd market but they perform nationally very well. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think being a small market is meaning less and less these days. The NFL in particular if very accessible wherever you live and it means less to TV revenue that Buffalo isn't a massive market if they still get massive rating across the country. 

Buffalo Bills are about 20th in TV viewership (will verify this more but that's what my initial scan says) so sure they might be the 32nd market but they perform nationally very well. 

Sundays game, for instance, was the highest rated wildcard game in years. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

For better or worse, the Bills are the team to watch, and everyone wants to see Allen hurdle someone.

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is pretty fair. It helps that putting Buffalo and Rochester together gets you around 30th in metro area population, with KC, indy, Las Vegas, and Cincinnati. Small market, but not desperately so.

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

For better or worse, the Bills are the team to watch, and everyone wants to see Allen hurdle someone.

This is pretty fair. It helps that putting Buffalo and Rochester together gets you around 30th in metro area population, with KC, indy, Las Vegas, and Cincinnati. Small market, but not desperately so.

Stinks that we don't get credit for any of the population on the NP.

It's like docking KC for people living in it's suburbs in Kansas or Cincy for people in Kentucky.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd almost guarantee they aren't plugging southern Ontario into the market size or TV watching calculation. 

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

I'd almost guarantee they aren't plugging southern Ontario into the market size or TV watching calculation. 

No need to almost guarantee it.  They absolutely don't factor it into market size.  AFAIK, they've never included it even though OTA broadcasts are accessible on either side of the river.

It seems to me that the owners of the only two major league teams in town would be foolish to move one of them.  The fan blowback to the other team would be immense.  And moving/selling both of them at the same time would be quite difficult I imagine.

Now if the Pegulas pass and both go on the market, all bets are off.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Yep. And the Monday night game vs the Bengals was the highest rated Monday night game in history. Two of the smaller TV markets to boot. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Kim’s prognosis and plans for (capacities in) the future are relevant to the future of the Bills in Buffalo. “Gross,” maybe. But those are the facts, imo.

It's enough to say that the Bills' location in WNY and the public interest need to be protected in the event of the owners' death and that the public money agreements need to effectively account for that scenario.  Full stop.

What kind of shape are Terry – and especially, Kim – really in and what is their prognosis for the long term? 

These are not academic questions. Answering them is required due diligence if the interests of taxpayers and fans are to be respected. 

There is no ***** reason why anyone should be calling for public inquiry about details of Kim's health, let alone insinuating that failure to do so would disrespect taxpayers or fans.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Kids in southern Ontario are becoming Bills fans again.   
there were a lot around my age 53 who were early teens when Jim Kelly came to town in 83/84 

then about 20 years of Pats fans.  Imagine my life surrounded by leafs and Pats fans???  

Now my son, who is 17, says most kids are Bills fans again. 

not sure what the actually percentage of Canadians at the stadium is but I think it was close to 15% 

Allen is good for the long term. Those canadian teenagers today will soon become season ticket holders.  Like I was for years.  The Golden shoes Joe area should definitely be considered part of the Bills territory….just don’t play any games in the sky dome or whatever they call the monstrosity of a stadium in Toronto.   go bills !

edit.   Golden Horseshoe!  Gotta love auto correct 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I am not asking that her condition be made public, but I am amazed that 10 or so months later, it hasn’t been leaked.  It makes me wonder just how few people know what her condition is?

IMO…Players of both the Bills and Sabres clearly have not been told. 

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

There is no ***** reason why anyone should be calling for public inquiry about details of Kim's health, let alone insinuating that failure to do so would disrespect taxpayers or fans.

Sure there is - sure there are. I’ve identified several. I think the disagreement is over whether those reasons could justify a requested intrusion on a public figure’s privacy.

Mind you: I’m not suggesting there should be a shady HIPAA-violating investigation. I’m suggesting that questions could be posed directly, openly, and respectfully.

44 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I am not asking that her condition be made public, but I am amazed that 10 or so months later, it hasn’t been leaked.  It makes me wonder just how few people know what her condition is?

IMO…Players of both the Bills and Sabres clearly have not been told. 

It’s really really really F***ing obvious what her GD condition is. (Not you per say) You don’t need a pretty little press release from the Pegulas to feel satisfied. Too bad so sad. Move on.  

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

These last few pages are terrible.

It's no ones business what her health condition is.

Whoever is starting  to suggest this nonsense better think twice about it.  It could cost the city the Bills and the Sabres.

No it won't. That's fear mongering. Ppl on an internet message wondering about their sports team owners health doesn't mean ***** to said owner or their plans.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

These last few pages are terrible.

It's no ones business what her health condition is.

Whoever is starting  to suggest this nonsense better think twice about it.  It could cost the city the Bills and the Sabres.

And that is the reason why the people paying for the new stadium should know.  Am I going to be paying for this only for them to move the team? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.