Kim Pegula suffered a Cardiac Arrest;Has residual Aphasia and Memory Issues

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm not going to wade into the fray of whether the Pegulas should say anything or not about what happened to Kim.

I will say though I don't remember any time where someone in the public eye (like Kim is) has been this protected about their privacy.

If you heard about somebody's heath situation, chances are they chose to reveal that information. 

In this case they are not. It's their choice 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

In this case they are not. It's their choice 

Yep... Agreed.

But... I can't recall a single instance where a public figure like Kim didn't give any details on their health crisis, so it just seems a bit odd.

Again, I'll still defend their right to privacy even though I don't understand it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Yep... Agreed.

But... I can't recall a single instance where a public figure like Kim didn't give any details on their health crisis, so it just seems a bit odd.

Again, I'll still defend their right to privacy even though I don't understand it.

It’s easy enough for a person or two to keep it quiet. There has to be a much larger number of people who do know here and it’s amazing that nothing has leaked out at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Yep... Agreed.

I get your point.

But as we saw with Damar this week, you don’t win by saying or showing anything.  No one thought putting Damar on the Jumbotron during a snowstorm or TV b-roll footage of him exiting a gator with a mask on would spark stupid conspiracy theories.  But this is what happens in social media today. 

If that was my family, I wouldn’t want to deal with that.

And don’t forget Jessie Pegula is the third ranked women’s tennis player in the world. That could be a distraction to her.  Questions during every tournament and every press conference. No one in her family wants that either. 

• Like (+1) 1

Despite some of the cruel speculations, the fact is no one is "sitting shivah".

As this site is mostly men we should wait and keep stoic silence.  React with the appropriate response when we know the facts.

While this goes on, I will respect Terry and the families wishes.

image.png.e924aa8a702552850484cc47b062ff61.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Yep... Agreed.

Oh come on. It happens a lot. You're more used to celebrities sharing their lives on social media. Not everyone lives like that.

We knew every moment of Hamlin’s conditions & had teams of medical professionals taking questions about his health. Kim is a sports team owner, it’s not like she’s not a public figure. I want her to live to be 140 years & keep Buffalo sports where they belong. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Skooby said:

We knew every moment of Hamlin’s conditions & had teams of medical professionals taking questions about his health. Kim is a sports team owner, it’s not like she’s not a public figure. I want her to live to be 140 years & keep Buffalo sports where they belong. 

you may be setting up for disappointment

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It sucks that's she's been out of the public eye for so long, that sadly doesn't bode well for a full recovery behind the scenes, but you'd be amazed at what a year of PT/OT, etc can do depending on the situation and perhaps the delay is because of a rehab program or something similar. 

Yeah - this is almost certainly true.

And for someone who was as put-together, powerful, poised (didn't intend the run on P's, but there it is), and, I'll say it, attractive ("pretty" would have been too much there), I think it could be very, very difficult, damn near soul-crushingly impossible, to make public appearances, let alone lead a semi-public life, in a significantly diminished state. Effing Ugh.

7 hours ago, Skooby said:

Certainly we knew more about Hamlin than we do about Kim, but I don't think they ever disclosed exactly what happened, i.e. the diagnosis of the reasons for his cardiac arrest.

It's also worth noting that Hamlin appears to have made pretty close to a full recovery in a pretty short period of time.  If Kim is impaired, which seems likely, it's only natural that she would want to stay out of the public eye.

11 hours ago, shrader said:

It’s easy enough for a person or two to keep it quiet. There has to be a much larger number of people who do know here and it’s amazing that nothing has leaked out at all. 

Well, when most all the people that actually interact w/ her on a daily/semidaily basis are close family, caregivers subject to HIIPA restrictions, or servants most likely under NDAs, it isn't all that amazing.  Good on her children for apparently honoring her wishes and not divulging in public her condition.

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, when most all the people that actually interact w/ her on a daily/semidaily basis are close family, caregivers subject to HIIPA restrictions, or servants most likely under NDAs, it isn't all that amazing.  Good on her children for apparently honoring her wishes and not divulging in public her condition.

I would expect players and front offices to be somewhat clued into what is going on... not to mention any of the other organizations they're running.  That's a ton of people who could at some point at least throw some speculation out there.  I'm not the type that is ever going to be watching a second of their social media, but if they haven't said things already, that's incredibly impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

I would expect players and front offices to be somewhat clued into what is going on... not to mention any of the other organizations they're running.  That's a ton of people who could at some point at least throw some speculation out there.  I'm not the type that is ever going to be watching a second of their social media, but if they haven't said things already, that's incredibly impressive.

I thought the same thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

At the risk of providing too much speculation, I have to wonder if this is something more than the "stroke" that was floated months ago. Strokes are a big deal so I don't mean to diminish that, but it also feels like something that isn't a big deal to go "Kim Pegula had a stroke". I have to wonder if either A) it is something more insidious along the lines of ALS. Such a demeaning and terrible disease. Or B)is it something that revolves around any mental health or addiction issues.

Either way, tons of good vibes to the Pegula's.

I had a boss that had a severe stroke in his late 30’s. Ended up quadriplegic and unable to speak but with intellect fully intact. Using adaptive tools he started a stroke survivors network. He lived another 30 years in that state. Prayers that Kim recovers as much function as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bg17 said:

I had a boss that had a severe stroke in his late 30’s. Ended up quadriplegic and unable to speak but with intellect fully intact. Using adaptive tools he started a stroke survivors network. He lived another 30 years in that state. Prayers that Kim recovers as much function as possible. 

Welcome back!

Thanks for the story.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Brawndo changed the title to Kim Pegula suffered a Cardiac Arrest;Has residual Aphasia and Memory Issues

Well that was an emotional read. The longest I have ever been awake without sleep (no cat-nap, no resting my eyes for 10 minutes) was the 42 hours I spent in a hospital due to a family member having a severe health issue. It felt like a week. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

It sounds like she suffered an anoxic brain injury, which is causing her residual deficits 

Sounds like her daughter saved her life. 

This is why I never reported any info on what I was told by someone close to the family. I wait til it comes from the horses mouth. I was told she had a massive stroke while out on the yacht. Glad to have the truth finally come come out. So glad to hear she is slowly improving. Keep fighting Kim, we all love and support you. 

• Like (+1) 5

These two paragraphs from the article sum it all up.  😞

Today, my mom is still in recovery and although it is the same answer every time someone asks me, it is true, she is improving every day. She is dealing with significant expressive aphasia and significant memory issues. She can read, write, and understand pretty well, but she has trouble finding the words to respond. It is hard to deal with and it takes a lot of patience to communicate with her, but I thank God every day that we can still communicate with her at all. The doctors continue to be blown away by her recovery, considering where she started, and her determination is the driving force of that.

My mom is the president and owner of both the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. She loved to work. She did everything and our family constantly told her how she needs to slow down and take time for herself. She was the woman behind my dad’s success and my dad would happily admit that. She jumped into this journey with him and learned many lessons along the way, breaking a lot of barriers. She was the shift in culture, positivity, and the heartbeat of many of the employees. She gave everyone so much of her time and effort. She lived it and loved it, and it was felt by everyone she met. Now we come to the realization that all of that is most likely gone. That she won’t be able to be that person anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.