Kim Pegula suffered a Cardiac Arrest;Has residual Aphasia and Memory Issues

Brawndo

On 6/18/2022 at 8:49 PM, Claude Balls said:

You think this is bad, I know you've been on TBD during the off season. Talk about a train wreck. Oye vey

Yeah, especially with some of the Mods there who think they are the Gestapo instead of Message Board Moderators.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Since the news broke of the ICU stay, I wondering out loud if the family would deem a positive update (like leaving ICU) would be appropriate?

I hope that’s the case.  I also really hope she is not still there. She’s been there for a week or more. 

I fear the worst, as long as no update is given I think she is still in ICU.  Otherwise we would have heard something by now.

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I fear the worst, as long as no update is given I think she is still in ICU.  Otherwise we would have heard something by now.

I don't like the silence at all.  I am increasingly concerned for her well-being.

• Like (+1) 1

It's been a bit over a week, and, other than that intrepid Spectrum News Reporter, no reporter has been able ... or willing ... to offer anything. I saw Tim Graham tweet to the effect that (1) he's respecting their desire for privacy and (2) doesn't want to burn any bridges ("violate professional relationships" is how he put it).

I don't get it. She's a public figure. The State and County recently approved expenditures of ~$850M to benefit her company. How is her health not a news story? 

• Like (+1) 2

I saw something on Twitter that said she was improving, citing a family member... let me see if I can find it.

Actually it's from the time when the announcement came out so isn't necessarily progress since then.

I thought I saw something else but this might have been it.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's been a bit over a week, and, other than that intrepid Spectrum News Reporter, no reporter has been able ... or willing ... to offer anything. I saw Tim Graham tweet to the effect that (1) he's respecting their desire for privacy and (2) doesn't want to burn any bridges ("violate professional relationships" is how he put it).

I don't get it. She's a public figure. The State and County recently approved expenditures of ~$850M to benefit her company. How is her health not a news story? 

HIPAA. Your health information is private unless you so choose to make it public. Anyone divulging private information can get in trouble.  No reporter is going to give out information and risk losing his job and more.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Cozenscousin said:

HIPAA. Your health information is private unless you so choose to make it public. Anyone divulging private information can get in trouble.  No reporter is going to give out information and risk losing his job and more.

A reporter is not bound by HIPPA, only health care providers are.

I’m sure a few people know, but the reporters are respecting the wishes of the family that her medical condition not become public knowledge.  It’s the ethical thing to do.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Cozenscousin said:

I bolded all the parts of this post that are not correct. I put in italics anything that is kinda sorta right but not exactly.

Reporters and rando's off the street are not covered entities. HIPAA: https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/publications/topic/hipaa.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s the ethical thing to do.

I’m not inviting a deep dive on journalistic ethics, but I fail to see how it is ethical from a journalistic standpoint to avoid a patently newsworthy matter because you’re concerned that covering  it could harm your career.

Her health and condition are newsworthy. Full stop.

56 minutes ago, Curt said:

A reporter is not bound by HIPPA, only health care providers are.

I’m sure a few people know, but the reporters are respecting the wishes of the family that her medical condition not become public knowledge.  It’s the ethical thing to do.

It’s the ethical thing to do… As long as the reporters like you. If the reporters do not like you… Then sadly, screw the ethics of it. I am glad as to date… the reporters like her/like her husband/like her family.

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m not inviting a deep dive on journalistic ethics, but I fail to see how it is ethical from a journalistic standpoint to avoid a patently newsworthy matter because you’re concerned that covering  it could harm your career.

Her health and condition are newsworthy. Full stop.

Newsworthy?  I guess you could call it that, from a human interest standpoint.  But honestly, it’s her private business and you just don’t need to know.  Just because something is interesting does not make it ethical to report on.

In what way is it important for the public to know exactly what health issues Kim Pegula has?

We know that she is/was ill and in the ICU, and that  her health is improving.  What more should you possibly be owed?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It’s the ethical thing to do… As long as the reporters like you. If the reporters do not like you… Then sadly, screw the ethics of it. I am glad as to date… the reporters like her/like her husband/like her family.

I don’t know.  I think the media is generally respectful.  For a close to home example, Eugine Melnyk recent passed away after a years long battle with illness.  It was not reported on until his passing.  I’m sure that some in the Ottawa/NHL media knew that he was unwell beforehand, but they chose to not report on it.

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t know.  I think the media is generally respectful.  For a close to home example, Eugine Melnyk recent passed away after a years long battle with illness.  It was not reported on until his passing.  I’m sure that some in the Ottawa/NHL media knew that he was unwell beforehand, but they chose to not report on it.

Are we making a distinction between media and reporters? if you’re using those two terms interchangeably …. We will just have to agree to disagree. I really truly have seen reporters be repugnant and disrespectful to privacy and ethical matters. Oh well. Again, I am glad so far, the reporters have respect and like the Pegula‘s by and large now.

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Newsworthy?  I guess you could call it that, from a human interest standpoint.  But honestly, it’s her private business and you just don’t need to know.  Just because something is interesting does not make it ethical to report on.

In what way is it important for the public to know exactly what health issues Kim Pegula has?

We know that she is/was ill and in the ICU, and that  her health is improving.  What more should you possibly be owed?

She is, imo, the most important and influential public figure in WNY. That alone makes her health newsworthy. The family's plea to "respect our privacy" is something that is routinely requested and, I presume, granted when the person is a person of little or no public importance. That's just not the case here.

She is the co-owner - and heretofore the presumed future lone owner - of the most treasured and beloved  institution in the region. That makes her health newsworthy.

The State and County recently approved spending $850M to directly benefit a company of which she is president. That makes her health newsworthy.

I don't see this as a complicated analysis in the least.

And let's be clear: Reporters aren't refraining from covering the issue, or at least attempting to cover it, because they're observing some sort of moral obligation to allow someone to keep their health a private matter. Rather, it appears that the media's not functioning in the way it's supposed to because members of that industry are averse to upsetting or offending PSE. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.