Kim Pegula suffered a Cardiac Arrest;Has residual Aphasia and Memory Issues

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Very definitely.  There are youth soccer leagues where kids can't head the ball, even.

In my experience, that guidance runs by age, not league.

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I got CTE from watching youth soccer.

Did most of the damage occur before or after parents called the cops about a guy in a trench coat who was striking himself in the head with an iron skillet?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m legit worried what you would find. I often wonder if you can get CTE from youth sports.

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah worst part is, the action that got me concussed was just a throw in , just when something hits you on wrong spot...

Just know that half an hour after the game, i started feeling dizzy, and went into my bed for a day with shades down.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Very definitely.  There are youth soccer leagues where kids can't head the ball, even.

Thanks for this information.  One of my cousins is a neuroscience researcher.  She sees the data which strongly indicates that the kids already have CTE before puberty from playing soccer, tackle football, etc.

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah worst part is, the action that got me concussed was just a throw in , just when something hits you on wrong spot...

Just know that half an hour after the game, i started feeling dizzy, and went into my bed for a day with shades down.

Played soccer at a high level for 25+ years and can't remember getting a concussion to be honest although I do see how it could happen pretty easily...lots of elbows, feet and heads flying around carelessly many times.  

Worst I have ever seen on the field was a guy having his ankle broken in 3 places by a way late slide tackle from behind that the guy got red carded for and almost started a bench clearing brawl since he  basically told the dude that was what was going to happen if he got the ball again(he had gotten embarrassed several times in the game by him), and got to see a player's orbital bone get shattered right next to me when a guy jumped up to head the ball off a corner but missed and headed his eye socket instead...the crazy part was I actually scored on the play prior to the ref stopping it because the ball ending up deflecting right to me at the side of the net with nobody around me and I just tapped it in. 

13 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m legit worried what you would find. I often wonder if you can get CTE from youth sports.

I was half joking but no question if you grew up in the 60s,70, 80s before these thing were known and you played outside you probably have some sort of brain trauma... We had those iron steam radiators that myself and brothers rough housing ended up in the ER with staples in our heads... not to mention soccer, football and other street sports we played in the city... Not sure I even want to know... but as I get older... I am aware as my brain atrophies the scar tissue from those events and a few others cause momentary memory loss... Not sure. 

Edited by North Buffalo

9 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I was half joking but no question if you grew up in the 60s,70, 80s before these thing were known and you played outside you probably have some sort of brain trauma... We had those iron steam radiators that myself and brothers rough housing ended up in the ER with staples in our heads... not to mention soccer, football and other street sports we played in the city... Not sure I even want to know... but as I get older... I am aware as my brain atrophies the scar tissue from those events and a few others cause momentary memory loss... Not sure. 

I read you.  We played tackle football.  We headed soccer balls with alacrity.  We played ice hockey without helmets.  I wonder when my memory will really start to fade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Played soccer at a high level for 25+ years and can't remember getting a concussion to be honest although I do see how it could happen pretty easily...lots of elbows, feet and heads flying around carelessly many times.  

Worst I have ever seen on the field was a guy having his ankle broken in 3 places by a way late slide tackle from behind that the guy got red carded for and almost started a bench clearing brawl since he  basically told the dude that was what was going to happen if he got the ball again(he had gotten embarrassed several times in the game by him), and got to see a player's orbital bone get shattered right next to me when a guy jumped up to head the ball off a corner but missed and headed his eye socket instead...the crazy part was I actually scored on the play prior to the ref stopping it because the ball ending up deflecting right to me at the side of the net with nobody around me and I just tapped it in. 

I seen plenty go head to head and lie knocked out on the field for few minutes.  Usually people just got up and started playing again after getting rubbed in the face with a dirty wet sponge that been lying in the same bucket for weeks, that sponge made people get up fast though, im fine im fine no need for that sponge. 😆

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

I played seven years of tackle football. I only remember blacking out once for a few seconds after a helmet to helmet contact. I’m pretty sure we are about the same age, and the amount of times I have to search for words is distressing.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Curt said:

@North Buffalo @Marvin, Sabres Fan

Me too.  When we were teens, my friends and I used to play 4 a side tackle football in the yard without pads or helmets. We would play ice and street hockey without helmets too.

Im probably lucky that my main organized sport I played was tennis.

Fumbly Rumbly was a thing

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Smear the *****

Repugnant name for the game, in retrospect.

Is ***** really a filtered word here?

Wth - it is. Odd.

Like, people who are ***** use the word ***** to describe themselves, and, afaik, invite non-***** people to use it too.

So why filter it?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Repugnant name for the game, in retrospect.

Is ***** really a filtered word here?

Wth - it is. Odd.

Like, people who are ***** use the word ***** to describe themselves, and, afaik, invite non-***** people to use it too.

So why filter it?

I’d assume because it’s a historically homophobic phrase which implied a guy was acting effeminate and therefore perceived as weak and unmanly.

Edited by pastajoe
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Wow. We just called it funny fumble.

We had smear the ***** up until about 1980 or 1981. At that point a parent heard one of our teammates say that and they complained to the coach (good for them). At that point, our coach said we were no longer allowed to refer to it by that name and so we came up with the name kill the quarterback.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

We had smear the ***** up until about 1980 or 1981. At that point a parent heard one of our teammates say that and they complained to the coach (good for them). At that point, our coach said we were no longer allowed to refer to it by that name and so we came up with the name kill the quarterback.

We called it what we called it, but I didn't know what it meant.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

I was probably 12. I surely knew what it meant. 

I was sheltered or something I guess.  I didn't know that word meant that until I was about 17.  I did know other words for the same concept at 12, I suppose.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.