Sabres Announce They Signed Filip Cederqvist to a 2 Year ELC

Brawndo

9 hours ago, shrader said:

Brawndo's post earlier said that the SHL team would control whether he goes to the AHL or back to Sweden.  To me, that fits with he "can play for the Amerks next year", the team just has to allow it.

And what you wrote is what we had expected - that his contract w/ Djurgardens was controlling, so he couldn't come to the Amerks.  BBecause there was nothing in it for them to let him come over.  But the Lysowski tweet said he was coming over.  Thus the "not sure how that works (meaning is possible) but cool (happy it works that way).

Except that's not the case apparently.  Apparently Djurgardens was relegated, so all their players contracts became voidable.  Which is how playing for the Amerks becomes a decision of the Sabres & not Djurgardens.  The new deal (and former one as well) between the NHL & SHL isn't putting Djurgardens in the driver's seat because they apparently no longer hold an enforceable contract for Cedarquist's services.

And the comment was in reference to last week's handwringing by some that the Amerks might have problems icing a full lineup due to not having enough young players available to them. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Interesting. Rosen and Cederqvist were going to play together in Sweden this year, now might be Rochester. Forton in his interview wasn’t happy with Leksands for development which probably was a big factor in this.

Karmanos in his interview said they were having conversations that would determine backfilling the Amerks If Quinn and JJ move up.

Rosen, Kisakov, Cederqvist, Rousek, maybe Pilut, maybe Kozak

That would be a really nice group coming in (Rousek getting a regular season in)

Love that they are bringing the development in house where they can.

Rochester is going to be a fun team to follow. It will be interesting to see which of the young players you listed quickly adjusts to this higher league and as prospects develop. What this organization has been smart about is erroring on the side of patience rather than rushing prospects to the NHL. The GM has repeatedly stated that he would rather keep a prospect down on the farm longer so than when the prospect does move up he is better prepared. The organization is managing the system in a coherent and organic fashion. It's so encouraging to see the trend line pointing up. 

3 hours ago, Cage said:

Here's another point-of-view on this.  Apparently Djurgardens has been relegated from SHL, which opens the ability for him to play in AHL and NOT have to be returned... 

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/06/buffalo-sabres-sign-filip-cederqvist.html

Here's some more on the NHL-SHL transfer agreement.  The first paragraph after the bullets would be problematic to most teams.  Basically if you like a Swedish player then you better draft him in the first round, otherwise you won't see him until he's 24 unless he's ready to make the NHL team.  So players like Olofsson (7th) who spent a year+ in Rochester, won't be able to develop that way anymore.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/04/examining-a-key-change-in-the-nhls-transfer-agreement-with-sweden.html

The transfer agreements between various leagues are obviously complicated.  However, if Djurgardens is not in the SHL anymore, then these provisions don't apply to him, which is probably why GMKA chose to make the move and sign him. 

Just a note on this.  This change is not a blanket rule forcing all under 24?Swedish players to return to the SHL if they are not in the NHL.  This applies to players who are under contract with SHL teams.

So if you are a 17 year old Swede with eyes on playing in NA, you might negotiate your contract in such a way that at age 20-21-22, your SHL contract ends.  Then you could come over to the AHL at that time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And what you wrote is what we had expected - that his contract w/ Djurgardens was controlling, so he couldn't come to the Amerks.  BBecause there was nothing in it for them to let him come over.  But the Lysowski tweet said he was coming over.  Thus the "not sure how that works (meaning is possible) but cool (happy it works that way).

Except that's not the case apparently.  Apparently Djurgardens was relegated, so all their players contracts became voidable.  Which is how playing for the Amerks becomes a decision of the Sabres & not Djurgardens.  The new deal (and former one as well) between the NHL & SHL isn't putting Djurgardens in the driver's seat because they apparently no longer hold an enforceable contract for Cedarquist's services.

And the comment was in reference to last week's handwringing by some that the Amerks might have problems icing a full lineup due to not having enough young players available to them. 

The “not enough young players” thing regarding the Amerks is weird. It’s not an issue. It’s never been an issue for any AHL team, ever. It’s not even really a thing. You could technically have a full team of ECHL lifers who are 35 years old, and it would be within the rules. The only thing teams have to worry about is how many veterans are in the lineup on any given day. 

Edited by Amerks8796
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

The “not enough young players” thing regarding the Amerks is weird. It’s not an issue. It’s never been an issue for any AHL team, ever. It’s not even really a thing. You could technically have a full team of ECHL lifers who are 35 years old, and it would be within the rules. The only thing teams have to worry about is how many veterans are in the lineup on any given day. 

But there are those of us who view the Amerks first as a factory for building Sabres and we want that factory to have plenty of raw material to work with.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But there are those of us who view the Amerks first as a factory for building Sabres and we want that factory to have plenty of raw material to work with.

Which if the development pipeline is progressing, should be Sabres draft picks!  I"m excited to see that they've signed Rosen, Kisakov and now Cederqvist.  It looked for a bit like there would be no new draftees in Rochester, but now we'll have these three joining Weissbach and Rousek.  Next year they'll add Bloom and Nadeau along with hopefully at least Levi.  So feeling better about it all!

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Precisely. It's having the NHL ELCs who could have a Sabres future vs. any player young or older who could be a perfectly serviceable AHLer, but not be in the plans for the Sabres. It's having Rosen in Rochester and learning the speed/ice size and not worrying so much about Scarfo or even Jankowski (who would likely be a much better player than Rosen this season and can also be a good mentor as a former 1st round pick).

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That has literally nothing to do with what I’m talking about. But thanks for the tip. 

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Precisely. It's having the NHL ELCs who could have a Sabres future vs. any player young or older who could be a perfectly serviceable AHLer, but not be in the plans for the Sabres. It's having Rosen in Rochester and learning the speed/ice size and not worrying so much about Scarfo or even Jankowski (who would likely be a much better player than Rosen this season and can also be a good mentor as a former 1st round pick).

This is not the point, which you’re missing. There was a comment previously about how the Sabres may not have enough “development” players. My point was that’s not an actual thing. AHL teams can fill their roster with older players if they want. It’s within the rules. I’m not saying they will. I’m saying people are misinterpreting the rules, and acting like it could potentially be an issue, when it’s not one at all. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Amerks8796 said:

This is not the point, which you’re missing. There was a comment previously about how the Sabres may not have enough “development” players. My point was that’s not an actual thing. AHL teams can fill their roster with older players if they want. It’s within the rules. I’m not saying they will. I’m saying people are misinterpreting the rules, and acting like it could potentially be an issue, when it’s not one at all. 

I'm not really following your point?  If you filled an AHL team with older players and it was devoid of draftees who you own the rights to, what good is that?  So we're interested in the Amerks doing well in the context of having lots of Sabres draftees contributing to that and growing.  If the Amerks won the Calder Cup with 28-32 year olds, we probably wouldn't pay that much attention to it, but we recognize they could do that within the rules.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Of course.   Nobody disagrees w/ that.  But that is going to happen and it was pretty much a given it was going to happen 2 weeks ago when there were concerns voiced over whether the Amerks would have enough young guys. 

It's like the handwringing over Bishop.  It may be part of a plan to cheap out like Arizona or it makes no difference in the grand scheme should Adams be able to land most of his Plan A guys in a month when FAs are actually available as right now just about everybody is a pending FA and almost no real hockey trades happen during the playoffs.  Expect it makes no difference as it is an insurance policy to keep options open mid-season & to help ensure Plan B doesn't end up going to desperation if Plan A fails to come to fruition.

4 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

No I understood that.

My point was that I wasn’t worried about the regulations, I was worried about next year’s Amerks not having many players I’d have a large vested interest in.

This year was a treat in that regard.

6 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

1 minute ago, Cage said:

I'm not really following your point?  If you filled an AHL team with older players and it was devoid of draftees who you own the rights to, what good is that?  So we're interested in the Amerks doing well in the context of having lots of Sabres draftees contributing to that and growing.  If the Amerks won the Calder Cup with 28-32 year olds, we probably wouldn't pay that much attention to it, but we recognize they could do that within the rules.

His point was that teams always get to the 13 young skaters & worrying about not being able to dress 18 skaters isn't particularly useful.  As all teams get there except in very rare unusual circumstances. 

His other point was that AHL teams can have as many vets on the roster as they want but they can only have 5 skaters that are full on by the definition AHL vets.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

His point was that teams always get to the 13 young skaters & worrying about not being able to dress 18 skaters isn't particularly useful.  As all teams get there except in very rare unusual circumstances. 

His other point was that AHL teams can have as many vets on the roster as they want but they can only have 5 skaters that are full on by the definition AHL vets.

It’s that, but also the AHL doesn’t specify that “development” players have to be actual prospects, or a certain age. It’s based on professional games played at the AHL level and above. So a 35 year old who has played his entire career in the ECHL would technically be a development players. It’s 100% useless as a definition. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

That has literally nothing to do with what I’m talking about. But thanks for the tip. 

I think that for the people who are worried about not having enough young prospects in Rochester, that is precisely the issue.  But thanks for reading the thread.

11 hours ago, woods-racer said:

They have a bunch of goalies.

You may not like them. 

But again, over spending will not happen. 

1. They don't have a lot of goalies.

2. It's not about whether or not I like them or not it's about whether they stop the puck at an NHL level. Last year's goalie plan was garbage and if they go into this year with UPL who is unproven at even the AHL level and Craig Anderson I think we can stop talking about the playoffs before the season even starts. The plan can't be to wait for Portillo or Levi and to hell with everything else. If that IS the plan, I stand by my assertion that they are incompetent.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think that for the people who are worried about not having enough young prospects in Rochester, that is precisely the issue.  But thanks for reading the thread.

Sorry, but that’s not how the conversation went. I responded to Taro about the AHL rules regarding development players, which was in reference to earlier comments in another thread. The response to me after that was off topic, and not related to anything I was posting about. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

This is part of why I hate twitter.  That Lysowski tweet didn't sound the least bit definitive to me.  He COULD play in the AHL.  I COULD get a hole in one later today.  But it looks like more information has come out since I made my post, that relegation detail.

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

This is part of why I hate twitter.  That Lysowski tweet didn't sound the least bit definitive to me.  He COULD play in the AHL.  I COULD get a hole in one later today.  But it looks like more information has come out since I made my post, that relegation detail.

And it also is the annoying thing about message boards.  One types something brief such as "not sure how that works" as a shorthand for "that goes against everything that we've heard of how the new SHL/NHL Transfer agreement works because we've been told he has a contract w/ a top tier SHL squad for the upcoming season, wonder how they got Djursgarden to buy into that option or if they even need to buy in" and then somebody who hasn't been around since COVID hits reads that shorthand post & tries to tell you what you already knew thinking you were referring to something different than you were. 😉

Welcome back.  🍺

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

Sorry, but that’s not how the conversation went. I responded to Taro about the AHL rules regarding development players, which was in reference to earlier comments in another thread. The response to me after that was off topic, and not related to anything I was posting about. 

Whatever.  You've got your own little obsession about how many vets can play but that's at best a sidebar to the larger conversation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.