UFA signings

sweetlou

Significant UFA signing  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which UFA is best suited for Sabres based on term and AAV?

• marc-Andre Fluery, goalie- 2 years, $7.5 AAV
    • ville Husso, goalie- 3 years, $4.5 AAV
    • braden Holtby, goalie- 2 years, $5 AAV
    • jack Campbell, goalie- 4 years, $5.5 AAV
    • josh Manson, defense- 3 years, $5 AAV
    • pK Subban, defense- 2 years, $4.5 AAV
    • ian Cole, defense- 2 years, $4 AAVa
    • kris Letang, defense- 3 years, $8 AAV
    • reilly Smith, forward- 1 year, $4 AAV
    • andrew Copp, forward- 5 years, $5.5 AAV
    • vincent Trocheck, forward- 5 years, $6.5 AAV
    • max Domi, forward- 3 years, $3.5 AAV

I believe stability in goal is the one thing this team needs more than anything.  A proven winner and great locker room guy. Tuch had only great things to say about MAF in end of season presser.  As NYR showed this year, you can ride a great goalie to a successful season.  Young forwards and defenseman will continue to make mistakes as they improve their games, but a young or inexperienced goalie can really bring down the whole team if they don't play well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Josh Manson is a right shot veteran who plays a physical game. He’d be a great partner for either Power or Dahlin.

I don't know, he doesn't really looks that good, he been on the decline last few years.    On a stacked Colorado team he doesn't look out of place, but even there he had some really bad games.   Right now I prefer Joker over him even.

The Copp contract is the only one listed that isn’t an overpay.

I can live with the Fleury, Husso and Subban deals because of term, our needs, and the market. Subban is probably available for cheaper.

No interest in the other deals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

The Copp contract is the only one listed that isn’t an overpay.

I can live with the Fleury, Husso and Subban deals because of term, our needs, and the market. Subban is probably available for cheaper.

No interest in the other deals.

That is my thought as well -- at least on the goalie and defensemen contracts. @sweetlou -- are the options listed intended as overpays on short term for Buffalo's non-blocking timeline?

As an example, Holtby's last contract and 2 seasons were for lesser starter salary and he played a backup's load. There's no reason to offer him #1 goalie money anymore. $3-3.5M would be more reasonable as a tandem starter, and even that could be argued as the overpay.

• Like (+1) 1

I put Holtby but I doubt half or more of these guys would even sign here. Putting Fluery on this list is great but I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of getting him here (but yes there's a chance) even if we severely overpay.

Again I don't think guys like Kris Letang would even consider us but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure if teams consider us an up and comer or not but we're about to find out.

• Like (+1) 1

He's not on this list, but I think he's a UFA and that would be Jonathan Quick (LA Kings). He's 36 and I thought he had a good season and a good series against Edmonton in the first round. Throw him a 2 year deal $$$ he can't refuse. He could be a perfect stop gap Goaltender to hold the Sabres over while UPL, LEVI and PORTILLO figure it out.

If not, I voted for Josh Manson. Dude is a defensive stud.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

He's not on this list, but I think he's a UFA and that would be Jonathan Quick (LA Kings). He's 36 and I thought he had a good season and a good series against Edmonton in the first round. Throw him a 2 year deal $$$ he can't refuse. He could be a perfect stop gap Goaltender to hold the Sabres over while UPL, LEVI and PORTILLO figure it out.

If not, I voted for Josh Manson. Dude is a defensive stud.

I believe Quick has 1 year left on his contract. 

And I believe Manson is no longer a defensive stud, his game has fallen off a decent amount.

4 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I believe Quick has 1 year left on his contract. 

And I believe Manson is no longer a defensive stud, his game has fallen off a decent amount.

Yep, my bad, he does have one more year on that 10 year contract.

I have to disagree with you on Manson. He's been playing lights out this Playoff Season for the Avs.

9 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Yep, my bad, he does have one more year on that 10 year contract.

I have to disagree with you on Manson. He's been playing lights out this Playoff Season for the Avs.

Quick is interesting because he has a $5.8M cap hit but only $2.5M in actual salary and he kind of resurrected his career this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

One would think Quick should quietly be available given his pending UFA status, the Kings cap and development situation, and the fact they signed Petersen to a 3-year deal.

Quick for the rights to Portillo?

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

One would think Quick should quietly be available given his pending UFA status, the Kings cap and development situation, and the fact they signed Petersen to a 3-year deal.

Quick for the rights to Portillo?

I thought that I had heard that Quick would veto any trade out of LA.

Did we know Andrew Copp played for Donnie on the USNDP team in 11/12 (Along with Hayden and Butcher?)

No idea of the relationship, just thought it interesting given Don’s high degree of influence on last summer’s acquisitions.

If we do any shopping at the big boy’s table, Copp’s physicality and 2-way play put him at the front of my list.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.