THE 2022 FINAL: COLORADO AGAINST TAMPA

Eleven

In reflection, 11 consecutive series wins by Tampa in the salary cap era is incredible.  The better team won this series, but the former champs didn’t make it easy on the Aves. 

Colorado’s rise gives me hope the Sabres can follow the blueprint of draft and develop from awful to champion.  

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Any idea what it would take to pry Perry away from TB?  

If they can get him to waive his NTC, Stanley Cup Final loss, here we come!  (After 11 years in the desert will take it. 😉 )

Guess his juju was stronger than Maroon's.  The Sabres could use that.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I almost feel sorry for Corey Perry. But I don't. 

He’s being viscerally roasted on SM:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/corey-perry-stanley-cup-final-losses-lightning-nhl

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Didn't think Keumper would beat out Big V from Tampa, but he played adequate enough to allow them to take the prize. 

Sad now that there is no more hockey until September.

Last year's junior tournament will be restarted/resumed in August, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

As Bieksa said last night on HNIC, it is a copycat league so expect some deeper analysis of the Avs roster from the media.

The Avs we’re the 31st place team in the NHL six years ago. Only 5 guys remain from that roster.

My quick takes:

6 of their own first round picks. Big part of their core ( Makar, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen) and 2 emerging players (Byram & Newhook).

7 of other teams’ first round picks. Kadri, Nichushkin, Burakovsky, Johnson &Johnson, Cogliano, Murray

4 second rounders, all by other teams. Girard, Compher, Lehkonen, Aubrey-Kubel

7 UFAs, Nichushkin, Francouz, J.Johnson and Helm being the most important.

Trades bringing in Kadri, Toews, Kuemper, Girard, Lehkonen, E.Johnson, Burakovsky, Manson, Sturm and Compher. Most of those deals were won by the Avs.

Edited by French Collection
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

As Bieksa said last night on HNIC, it is a copycat league so expect some deeper analysis of the Avs roster from the media.

The Avs we’re the 31st place team in the NHL six years ago. Only 5 guys remain from that roster.

My quick takes:

6 of their own first round picks. Big part of their core ( Makar, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen) and 2 emerging players (Byram & Newhook).

7 of other teams’ first round picks. Kadri, Nichushkin, Burakovsky, Johnson &Johnson, Cogliano, Murray

4 second rounders, all by other teams. Girard, Compher, Lehkonen, Aubrey-Kubel

7 UFAs, Nichushkin, Francouz, J.Johnson and Helm being the most important.

Trades bringing in Kadri, Toews, Kuemper, Girard, Lehkonen, E.Johnson, Burakovsky, Manson, Sturm and Compher. Most of those deals were won by the Avs.

Johnson being there a long time feels home grown... Girard despite injury and Toews made backend depth impressive... forward additions were insane.

Sounds like MacKinnon led his team to a Cup with a style of leadership that harkens to Drury's days as a Sabre in 05-07. (Spoiler alert: By being an a*sshole -- but an a*shole with a purpose -- a singular purpose.)

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34143958/how-nathan-mackinnon-molded-colorado-avalanche-stanley-cup-champions

56 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sounds like MacKinnon led his team to a Cup with a style of leadership that harkens to Drury's days as a Sabre in 05-07. (Spoiler alert: By being an a*sshole -- but an a*shole with a purpose -- a singular purpose.)

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34143958/how-nathan-mackinnon-molded-colorado-avalanche-stanley-cup-champions

I’ve heard rumblings that sounded very Drury-esque.  

He puts alot of pressure even on the rooks.  That is what concerns me about the way our kids are being handled.  Not afraid to make mistakes sounds good and all, but the guys driven to win big have a different mindset. Hold high standards and demand change when they aren’t met.

50 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ve heard rumblings that sounded very Drury-esque.  

He puts alot of pressure even on the rooks.  That is what concerns me about the way our kids are being handled.  Not afraid to make mistakes sounds good and all, but the guys driven to win big have a different mindset. Hold high standards and demand change when they aren’t met.

Which is where having someone other than Okposo as captain sooner rather than later may be a good thing.  Haven't been in the room, but Okposo seems way more Pominville than Drury.  And the team really needed a Pomms rather than a Drury this last year.  Drury would've made the room miserable.  Hoping we're ready for them having a Drury soon.  Why not now if he's here?  (Not positive he's here.)

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.