THE 2022 FINAL: COLORADO AGAINST TAMPA

Eleven

12 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Are you suggesting that Landeskog would pick up the Cup from Bettman, try to give it the hoist, have his knees buckle, and proceed to fall flat on his face?

Nope...suggesting when games get tight and everything is on the line, one team has pulled it out again and again and the other one hasn't. 

Not saying they can't do it, but they haven't shown it yet.

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Nope...suggesting when games get tight and everything is on the line, one team has pulled it out again and again and the other one hasn't. 

Not saying they can't do it, but they haven't shown it yet.

Pulling it out is a must have skill

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Which raises the question... why was McAdoo pronounced Macadoo? Why not mickadoo?

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

McNamara, too.  I have always wondered about this.

There's limited rhyme or reason, as is often the case with matters Celt. One rule of thumb was that if you have a vowel following the M' (as the prefix used to be expressed - no Mc or Mac to it), then you used a Mack sound. But McNamara, as an Irish-American name, became an exception to that rule. (The McNamaras that I know from Ireland are "Mehk-Namaras.")

The only 100% reliable guidance is how a particular family pronounces their name.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

There's limited rhyme or reason, as is often the case with matters Celt. One rule of thumb was that if you have a vowel following the M' (as the prefix used to be expressed - no Mc or Mac to it), then you used a Mack sound. But McNamara, as an Irish-American name, became an exception to that rule. (The McNamaras that I know from Ireland are "Mehk-Namaras.")

The only 100% reliable guidance is how a particular family pronounces their name.

Very true.

One does find Macs in Ireland too, but I have not come acrost any Mc from Scotland.

And now there has been such a jumbling up of the gene pool that one easily finds Joness and Smiths in Scotland.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

7 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

One does find Macs in Ireland too, but I have not come acrost any Mc from Scotland.

Oh for sure. I know an Irish MacGuinness, whose name is nonetheless pronounced mehk-Guinness. And I know at least two Scotch-Irish-American McElroy clans -- one of them are the mehk-Elroys, and the other are the MACK-Elroys.

Lol.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Oh for sure. I know an Irish MacGuinness, whose name is nonetheless pronounced mehk-Guinness. And I know at least two Scotch-Irish-American McElroy clans -- one of them are the mehk-Elroys, and the other are the MACK-Elroys.

Lol.

Scot-Irish

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah - I don’t get it.

Edit: From the man's mouth at ~4:48 

There ya go. Link provided. We should expert nothing less.

If I had to find it, I could produce Dom saying, DOH mah neek HAH sheck.

Thankfully I don't have to.

I still want to know more about these Irish pronunciation conventions.  McEnroe just crossed my mind, too.  And McIntyre.  I'd say it's the vowel, but McNamara is still out there.  Edit:  And then McAdam crushes the vowel thing. 

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I still want to know more about these Irish pronunciation conventions.  McEnroe just crossed my mind, too.  And McIntyre.  I'd say it's the vowel, but McNamara is still out there.  Edit:  And then McAdam crushes the vowel thing. 

McCapricious.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.