Official Sabres Acquire Ben Bishop and a 2022 7th Rounder for Future Considerations

Brawndo

26 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Love it when anyone comments about how important it is to get to the cap floor.  It’s very very easy for a team to hit the floor.  You sign some dudes.  This trade is a whatever but in no way did the Sabres have to make this move.  To even suggest it has an importance to the Sabres in anyway to get to the cap floor is comical. 

Again.... who exactly.... NAME NAMES please.... who exactly are these dudes you want Kevyn to sign, and will they even sign with Buffalo for short terms?  Because in 2023 and 2024 the Sabres are going have to pay some their current dudes like Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin and Samuelsson (all will require new contracts next offseason or the one after).

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think this discussion basically boils down to whether Adams’ goal to ice as cheap a roster as possible, or to provide insurance to reach the floor if he isn’t able to acquire the players he wants.

And to be at the floor so you have flexibility in trades. As an example, if VO ends up getting traded at the deadline and the return is some top draft futures and a UFA with a bit less salary, you don't need to go find additional (unwanted) players/salary to get back to the floor.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Again.... who exactly.... NAME NAMES please.... who exactly are these dudes you want Kevyn to sign, and will they even sign with Buffalo for short terms?  Because in 2023 and 2024 the Sabres are going have to pay some their current dudes like Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin and Samuelsson (all will require new contracts next offseason or the one after).

No need to even name the names. It's the goal of the team to play the kids and improve as the kids improve. (And last year they did so. Given goaltending, they'll improve again this year.) And the hope is this season and (realistically next 2023-4): here come the Buffalo Sabres! It'll take time, but it took time in Carolina, too.

You don't want to sign a washed-up Meszaros for $4M to get to the floor just because you need to. Because he will play. Injuries will occur and any vet you sign is going to see ice time. And the best UFA players either might not fit the game style/approach or want to join the rebuild when a contender has a spot open. Bishop is ideal for the cap floor because he won't be with the team, there won't be any whining about playing time or blocking anyone, or poor practice habits, or that he needs to play if UPL is in a slump, etc.

• Like (+1) 3

Face it, this cap floor philosophy is ownership cutting costs and going with a slow long term building plan. It's BS, and it means we will be waiting longer to make the playoffs and we won't be truly competitive until many more of the kids like Power, Quinn, etc. come fully into their own. 

There's other ways to do this. You can go with mostly kids but you can also plug in key FA signings. Look at LA for example. Kept some veterans, lots of kids, added a guy like Danault, and they made the playoffs already. Look at the Rags. There's a mix of kids, veterans and free agents.  Building with the draft is the right approach, but strategic FA signings and smart moves get you there faster. 

The opportunity to take a leap forward was here, NOW, but this franchise wants us to wait. I could still be proven wrong, they might make moves, but I doubt it. I think we as fans are just going to be f'd again. 

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not optimistic per se; I'm simply stating that this deal has ZERO effect and will not preclude Kevyn from making other deals.  No effect.  Decoupled.  Totally separate.

True, but if what you're saying is right and they are going to spend to the cap floor anyways using traditional means (by signing players that will play)... THEN, the deal could only have been made to pay the reported $700k for a 7th rounder. I have a hard time believing they would do that.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

50 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I really don’t understand this ‘nobody will sign in Buffalo’ mentality. 

Yes, the team has been crap for awhile but I’m sure some noticed around the league the finish to the season the team had.  I’m sure there are others seeing the signs of a pretty good core developing.  Not to mention the Sabres have all the room to overpay a little.  The Buffalo Sabres and any other team will have zero difficulty in reaching the cap floor. 

Can Adams go on record now, prior to the opening of free agency and openly say that he's looking to pay well above market rates for a veteran right-handed defenseman and a veteran goalie?

It would be nice if he could say without saying it that he wants Letang and MAF and those two could make plans together to both reunite in Buffalo.

55 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If you want a specific name I heard Marty on the instigators talking about paying pk Suban big money on a short term deal.  Right hand shot, could mentor power, showed he had something left last year, from all accounts his brother was treated well.  I don’t hate that idea.  Again, if he was willing to take a 2, maybe 3 year deal at a much higher avv.  There are so many names of guys that could actually help this team.  Especially with Tuch now in the fold (everything I’ve read is he’s well respected in the league), plus trajectory of this team from March on, I refuse to believe we won’t be able to reach the cap floor because of A lack of free agents who would sign here.  

I fully understand the need to save money a few years down the road to hopefully pay this good young core.  I’m not advocating huge long term free agent deals.  Im mearly saying the Sabres would have zero problem hitting the cap floor even if not for this deal. 

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Can Adams go on record now, prior to the opening of free agency and openly say that he's looking to pay well above market rates for a veteran right-handed defenseman and a veteran goalie?

It would be nice if he could say without saying it that he wants Letang and MAF and those two could make plans together to both reunite in Buffalo.

Exactly why would he do that?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

We have the cap room for the next couple of years for the two, they'd help the team, and they could mentor our young D and G core. 

The players and their agents know what he is willing to pay if he were interested in them. Why go public on any acquisition option because as a GM he wants to keep all his options open?

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

If you want a specific name I heard Marty on the instigators talking about paying pk Suban big money on a short term deal.  Right hand shot, could mentor power, showed he had something left last year, from all accounts his brother was treated well.  I don’t hate that idea.  Again, if he was willing to take a 2, maybe 3 year deal at a much higher avv.  There are so many names of guys that could actually help this team.  Especially with Tuch now in the fold (everything I’ve read is he’s well respected in the league), plus trajectory of this team from March on, I refuse to believe we won’t be able to reach the cap floor because of A lack of free agents who would sign here.  

I fully understand the need to save money a few years down the road to hopefully pay this good young core.  I’m not advocating huge long term free agent deals.  Im mearly saying the Sabres would have zero problem hitting the cap floor even if not for this deal. 

PK Subban is not going to command a particularly high AAV, or long term from anyone.  No one is going to give him a 5-6 year deal.  He is probably going to be looking at 2-3 year offers of $4-5M.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

PK Subban is not going to command a particularly high AAV, or long term from anyone.  No one is going to give him a 5-6 year deal.  He is probably going to be looking at 2-3 year offers of $4-5M.

I’d sign up for that 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

What a truly terrible idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Yet another offseason meaningless move discussion for the ages.

Does this move mean more than absolutely nothing for the Sabres?

How much you wanna bet deals like this will be verboten in the next CBA?

I would like to agree with you, but I don't see cap floor and cap ceiling teams wanting to ditch this option.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Yet another offseason meaningless move discussion for the ages.

Does this move mean more than absolutely nothing for the Sabres?

How much you wanna bet deals like this will be verboten in the next CBA?

Doubt it, primarily because teams at the cap will always need a way to detach cap and buyouts typically do more harm than good to the competitive level of the league. 

Additionally, a player like Bishop shouldn’t be prevented from getting his assured money due to an injury and his team shouldn’t be handicapped by bad luck

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Name a name.  Which UFA worth $5 million will want to come here on a one-year contract?  And if that hypothetical player did gel and become a big contributor, how do pay him AND the young players who will (hopefully) be demanding big money on new contracts?

Maybe a Riley Smith who played with Tuch in Vegas and is coming off a major injury.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why don't they spend that money and actually acquire a good player with it?

Patience. The UFA period is coming soon (after everyone signs their in-house players) and that’s when we can  discuss this to no end. But Bishop has little bearing on that. They’re playing the primary kids and supplementing with some vets. The core is exciting and excited. And it will be strong. The key is not upsetting it with some mercenary but the right UFA. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.