Official Sabres Acquire Ben Bishop and a 2022 7th Rounder for Future Considerations

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

You may not be aware of it but you have been elevating my hockey spirits with your goalie posts today. Your posts about Campbell and Bishop indicate that the GM is serious about addressing the goalie position. The Bishop news is a little confusing because I'm not sure if they are interested in him or simply want to acquire his contract. 

I wonder if this was the part of the 3-way trade on deadline day that the 2 primary teams just couldn't get together on...  and now it's beginning with Bishop news moving?

But of course, Bishop didn't play two years ago and played 1 AHL game last season. The Stars are giving the Sabres something extra for this. Dallas needs all the money it can clear for Robertson's new deal.

Well unless we are getting something good from this deal I'm not in favour of this approach. Rather we overpaid a free agent who could actually plug a hole and provide something, even if it's not up to his money, but something. This tells me we're going with mostly all kids and what we have. 

Personally I'd have taken Nick Foligno's contract off the Bruins (expires in one year) as the burned out local boy would have at least provided some solid leadership if nothing else. In any event, with Vegas and other teams in cap hell, there has to be better ways than just taking on a dead contract. 

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

If I'm not mistaken, his salary + bonus only amounts to $3.5 million for next season, BUT his cap hit is $4.9 million (each yr for 6 years).  If we trade for that contract, are we taking on $3.5 million or $4.9 million?

We pay him $3.5 but he counts $4.9 for toward the floor.  This year's Johnny Boychuk (which was only $1.25 million paid to get $6 million in cap.  Total compensation was $4 million but the Sabres acquired him after his signing bonus was paid.)

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nucci said:

why do we need to do this? Are we not planning on signing anyone?

That's really the question:  What's in it for us?  Does this mean Kevyn is not looking to sign any significant free agents or acquire any salary in a hockey trade? 

If he does nothing else, I want to see him address the goalie situation, but signing the dead cap of a goalie who can't play is not the answer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

If I'm not mistaken, his salary + bonus only amounts to $3.5 million for next season, BUT his cap hit is $4.9 million (each yr for 6 years).  If we trade for that contract, are we taking on $3.5 million or $4.9 million?

It's a beauty of a deal (??). 3.5 in actual cash gets you nearly 5 million toward the floor.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So we're taking on $4.9MM in cap space for 1 year.  I doubt we get more than a 4th-round pick for that, and perhaps less.

Doesn't really inspire much excitement.

It is weird. I have to wonder whether this might be one of those deals that's like, do me this favour now and I will be sure to return it when the time comes.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It is weird. I have to wonder whether this might be one of those deals that's like, do me this favour now and I will be sure to return it when the time comes.

Maybe.

If one were being pessimistic, though, one might divine a plan to spend another year at or close to the cap floor and stay far away from spending any money to bring in any real reinforcements.

Hello @PASabreFan.

• Like (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to Report: Sabres Trading for Ben Bishop’s Contract

1 year remaining on the contract and still eligible for LTIR if I’m reading correctly

Sounds like we won’t be getting much more than maybe a 6th round pick with him if that 🤦‍♂️ 

I hate it here

I understand the ‘maintaining flexibility’ mantra, but why can’t we just sign short term high money FA’s that contribute and actually improve a desolate team? Short term maintains flexibility no? 

Or why not take on more serious cap dumps where the extra assets are atleast a 3rd round pick? 

Personally I’ve been very pleased with GMKA this far, but if we play a second season in a row at the cap floor without utilizing the cap, whether through cap dumps or short term FA, I’m going to be very soured on him. Hell, even if we’re a 50 win, 110 point team next year, there’s still no excuse for leaving $20M of cap on the table without adding any assets wth it. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.