Official Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller’s Number on January 19, 2023

Brawndo

As I have said before, Sabres should do everything in their power to get this guy back into the organization in some capacity, before someone else does, like for example Drury and Briere.  I am aware that the issue is that he sees himself as a west coast guy now.  Retiring his Jersey is a good first step.

• Like (+1) 1

This is not something to get all into a lather for.

Liger, please just kiss and make up with everybody.  And everybody, please just make out with Liger.  Line starts here !!

Now, we all knew this was coming.  With the history and reasoning behind number retirements 30 was bound to be next.  I wonder why 25 is not up there.

With no sign of a very important banner going up anytime soon.  We have got to be happy with what we got.

And in the end ... who cares?  Really !!  Who cares ?? Stick 'em all up there !!

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Liger, please just kiss and make up with everybody.  And everybody, please just make out with Liger.  Line starts here !!

Now, we all knew this was coming.  With the history and reasoning behind number retirements 30 was bound to be next.  I wonder why 25 is not up there.

With no sign of a very important banner going up anytime soon.  We have got to be happy with what we got.

And in the end ... who cares?  Really !!  Who cares ?? Stick 'em all up there !!

I'm rooting for a Bandits banner.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The bar continues to be lowered when “very good” Sabres like Gare, Martin, Robert, etc… have their numbers retired. This leads to even more “very good” players having their numbers retired in the future. 

The criteria for retiring a former Sabres number really needs to be looked at. 

Retired numbers are meant for the GREAT.  List begins and ends with Perreault and Hasek…and maybe Horton because of the circumstances, and even that is debatable. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

🤔

Grier, Varada, or Andreychuk?  Answer should be obvious.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

🤔

Grier, Varada, or Andreychuk?  Answer should be obvious.  😉

Obviously a split decision and all 3 will be going up.  Well, only one sweater with 25 on it, but all the names.  Are you sure there are only 3 to wear 25 in all the 50+ years.  I bet someone has to be wearing it right now.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Well then.  It's clear what will happen.

The Sabres will retire Power's #25 on opening night this season in anticipation of the next 15+ seasons with 3 Norris Trophies and 2 Conn Smyth Trophies and 5 cusps (hey, oh @PASabreFan) and 3 actual cups to his credit.

I’ve never been a fan of retiring numbers at all, regardless. I am in favor of not issuing that number to anyone else unless that player demonstrates comparable greatness. The odds are against it, but I’m ok with others aspiring to that same level of greatness. There are other ways to honor great players for your team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Does anyone need a recap of my thoughts on numbers being retired?  If so, let me know.

This is stupid.

I’ll bite. Please tell me. 

I get that the rafters are an arbitrary standard and opinions are certainly going to differ. 

My take is Miller was the voice/heartbeat of the team for a long time (his Captains included Pommer/Rivet for the majority of his most fulfilling seasons—Oof), he spent twelve years in the organization, is second to Dom in all major goaltending categories that span 50+ years, and he really seems to be a genuine human who represented the organization beautifully.  

If you want to point to a guy in the last generation or two who did things the right way, it’s him.  He’s the standard to strive for in what it means to be a Buffalo Sabre. That’s what the team is trying to re-establish. 

I’m not trying to challenge any of the respected posters and fans here who don’t agree. But the more I think about it, the more I’m happy to see it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’ll bite. Please tell me. 

I get that the rafters are an arbitrary standard and opinions are certainly going to differ. 

My take is Miller was the voice/heartbeat of the team for a long time (his Captains included Pommer/Rivet for the majority of his most fulfilling seasons—Oof), he spent twelve years in the organization, is second to Dom in all major goaltending categories that span 50+ years, and he really seems to be a genuine human who represented the organization beautifully.  

If you want to point to a guy in the last generation or two who did things the right way, it’s him.  He’s the standard to strive for in what it means to be a Buffalo Sabre. That’s what the team is trying to re-establish. 

I’m not trying to challenge any of the respected posters and fans here who don’t agree. But the more I think about it, the more I’m happy to see it. 

This is beautifully said.

There is an element of fandom that says this is predominantly about the kinds of things that qualify one for the Hockey Hall of Fame.

It may be that Sabres ownership wants it to be about how well one represented what it meant to be a Buffalo Sabre: caring about the crest and the city and doing whatever was in his power for both on and off the ice over an extended period of time.

In my mind, few did that as well as Miller.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres’ perspective on Ryan Miller’s career made you call them a joke. Your perspective made me sad.

Not sure why my statement is a personal attack. It was not intended to be.

Apologies if you took it that way.

If that was a personal attack, I am the President of the United States.

I'm not the President of the United States.

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Who deserves it more? Rob Ray or Ryan Miller?

and I personally don’t think #30 should be retired. But whatevs.

Maybe they just wanted to get a look at his smoke show wife up close and in person??

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This franchise is still a joke. 

Losers retire jerseys of anyone who was halfway decent and played there. Guy played more years on other teams, never won anything in Buffalo, and retired as a member of another team... 

The Sabres "oooo golly we were kinda good when he was here! Gotta retire another number" 

***** joke of a franchise. At least Hasek was the best ever. 

Wanna know how to retire jerseys? Look at Detroit because Buffalo is a free for all joke.

Damn, I actually agree with you. I think this might be a first. 

Miller was a good player, but not good enough to have his number retired. I think these things diminish the retired numbers that truly deserved it. 

The bar is way too low for this franchise. 

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If that was a personal attack, I am the President of the United States.

I'm not the President of the United States.

Maybe they just wanted to get a look at his smoke show wife up close and in person??

Everyone has a different definition or idea of what “smoke show” means/is. 

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Should be reserved for Hall-of-Fame-Plus level players who spent the majority of their careers with the team.  

Agreed.  So 2 then.  The rest can be nicely mounted on the walls of the bathroom stalls.

That said, that Genie / Jeannie is so far out of that bottle there is not even a way to dream about her anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.