Official Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller’s Number on January 19, 2023

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

By the numbers, he's the franchise's best goalie. And he was part of a team that should have won a Cup. Plus he was/is a groovy dude. So, sure.

I found a great poppyseed dressing called Brianna's. I wanted to get the last bit so I added a splash of water and shook (the bottle). The result was this post.

• Haha (+1) 2

He’s right there with Gare in terms of league stature and how he conducted himself as a Sabre.

I’m in the camp that thinks the only jerseys that should be retired are 11 and 39.

But in terms the standards the organization has set by previous retirements, this is well-deserved.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This franchise is still a joke. 

Losers retire jerseys of anyone who was halfway decent and played there. Guy played more years on other teams, never won anything in Buffalo, and retired as a member of another team... 

The Sabres "oooo golly we were kinda good when he was here! Gotta retire another number" 

***** joke of a franchise. At least Hasek was the best ever. 

Wanna know how to retire jerseys? Look at Detroit because Buffalo is a free for all joke.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s right there with Gare in terms of league stature and how he conducted himself as a Sabre.

I’m in the camp that thinks the only jerseys that should be retired are 11 and 39.

But in terms the standards the organization has set by previous retirements, this is well-deserved.

I can also understand the other 2 French connection members to a degree.

I wish we had a level beneath number retirement; akin to the Bills' ring of fame for players deserving kudos and honoring but not true number retirement level.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I can also understand the other 2 French connection members to a degree.

I wish we had a level beneath number retirement; akin to the Bills' ring of fame for players deserving kudos and honoring but not true number retirement level.

This already exists.  The Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 3

• Brawndo changed the title to Official The Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller’s Jersey Next Season
32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Losers retire jerseys of anyone who was halfway decent and played there. Guy played more years on other teams, never won anything in Buffalo, and retired as a member of another team... 

The Sabres "oooo golly we were kinda good when he was here! Gotta retire another number" 

Wanna know how to retire jerseys? Look at Detroit because Buffalo is a free for all joke.

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This already exists.  The Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame.

The problems start with the Knoxes backing Scotty Bowman over Rick Martin.  The team used jersey retirements to make up with players the franchise had wronged.  Thus, the bar is very low.

For myself, the only numbers I would have retired are 2, 11, and 39.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The problems start with the Knoxes backing Scotty Bowman over Rick Martin.  The team used jersey retirements to make up with players the franchise had wronged.  Thus, the bar is very low.

0 reasons Tim Horton should have his number retired. Absolutely none. 

Guy barely played here and died drunk driving.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That was ***** awesome.

All the time in the world for players who care as much as I do.

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It’s sad how sports fandom can sometimes make people entirely lose their perspective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That was ***** awesome.

All the time in the world for players who care as much as I do.

It’s sad how sports fandom can sometimes make people entirely lose their perspective.

You don't have to agree with me. But stop the bs personal attacks. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hot take for a Friyay afternoon: It's lame to want to gatekeep # retirements with more rigorous standards.

Tabletop Games Reaction GIF by AsmodeeGames

Gatekeeping.... like not letting fans have a different take on this without personal insults? That kind of gatekeeper?

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't have to agree with me. But stop the bs personal attacks. 

The Sabres’ perspective on Ryan Miller’s career made you call them a joke. Your perspective made me sad.

Not sure why my statement is a personal attack. It was not intended to be.

Apologies if you took it that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I agree that the standards should be higher for number retirement.  Basically, the guy should be a Hall of Fame player in order to achieve this status.  Rare exceptoins could be made for a guy who was a captain, gritty leader for a very long period of time, consistently put up good numbers, and brought home a Stanley Cup, even if not a HOF talent.

Another point of view - and the one that the Sabres seem to be applying - is this:  although the team has not won a Stanley Cup, it has a rich 50+ year history with several periods of success.  Let's honor the guys who were the leaders and best at those times and helped the team achieve the highest successes that it did.  While its a lesser standard than some other teams that have had more success apply, I don't think it's a joke.  Applying these standards as they are, Miller is deserving.  Congrats to Ryan!

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So he’s not coming out of retirement to play for us, I guess 

Well *he* can still wear his number, just no one else.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You've been pushing it for a while, and with that it's time to put you on ignore for the summer.  See you the fall... maybe.

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Can see an argument to add 16 to that list.  Understand why some wouldn't want to do so.  But that's pretty much it.

And really enjoyed watching the others who've had their #'s retired, but don't believe their #'s should be retired.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.