Sabres Development Camp July 13-17

Brawndo

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Kinda smacks of Granato’s effusive praise of Dahlin.  Talking him up to boost his confidence.  Maybe Mike really feels that way but dude did log a lot of minutes against some pretty good players. 

Yes -- I was also thinking there is likely a psychological coaching component at work here.  But I also think that Peca wouldn't say that about someone who he didn't think had the potential to be a really effective scorer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

We spent a lot of time talking about the new guys on here, but it was interesting to watch the guys who will be in Buffalo as well.

Power is never going to look like he’s busting his ass. With his skating, length and brain it’s not often he will have to.

Samuelsson was loosey goosey. You could start to see the playful goofiness and the way his teammates gravitated to him. He's going to grow into a leader on this team.

Not sure how long it will take before the mob comes for Peyton Krebs for his lack of finish. One thing I hope people don’t overlook though is the fact that is he is getting and creating chances. He was the best forechecker out there and one of the best in transition.

I say one of the best, because the best was clearly Quinn, who was also the best player on the ice. Kid look so confident and skilled with puck on his stick, and so engaged.

Peterka was just a half-step behind him. He was notable, but also seemed to be just doing what he had to. He’s got an extra gear when better competition draws it out of him.

These 5 are supposed to be NHLers, so the needed to stand out, and they did.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Not sure how long it will take before the mob comes for Peyton Krebs for his lack of finish.

I’m not part of a mob, but I already have my doubts. I see a really nice skater and that’s just about it.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I thought Krebs was also excellent at carrying it up the ice and driving it to the net.

It might not happen this year, but the finish will come.  

People keep saying this. If it is true then we shouldn't worry about age dependent scoring in juniors ir whatever league. “It will come.” 

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

The kid has incredible vision. Works hard and is smart.  He can a few goals but he’s always goi g to be more of a playmaker

I watched a turnover machine last year. 

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

People keep saying this. If it is true then we shouldn't worry about age dependent scoring in juniors ir whatever league. “It will come.” 

But Krebs scored a lot in juniors — 60 pts in 38 games in his last junior season, and 68 pts in 64 games the prior season.  

35 minutes ago, SDS said:

You’re not wrong, but you also watched some of the best passes made all season from the same player.

He is a high-risk high-reward playmaker whose coach has given him considerable leash to learn from his mistakes.

If he does, he’s a weapon. Last year he looked very much like the rookie he was.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m not part of a mob, but I already have my doubts. I see a really nice skater and that’s just about it.

Of the young guns, I think he has the lowest ceiling.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Brian Holzinger is his comparable when he is mid career.

And that’s not damning criticism.  They can’t all be stars.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Of the young guns, I think he has the lowest ceiling.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Brian Holzinger is his comparable when he is mid career.

And that’s not damning criticism.  They can’t all be stars.

KA traded for him so he will have more time to carve a role on this team. I am not sure what he will become, he may even be a pesky 4C on a good team.

If KA doesn’t make any moves, one of these guys will have to step up and be THE faceoff C. They need someone like Peca to work with them to improve and have one be the go to guy.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, SDS said:

This is a good point.  Krebs was not a goal scorer going all the way back to u18 AAA so we shouldn't expect him to do it here. 

I have a lot of concerns with Krebs and I don't view him as a center currently. 

Krebs - Mitts - Quinn might be a line that works but I think you need to pair Krebs with some additional talent that is really good at shooting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

My hopes is Krebs becomes a Reinhart type guy. Amazing passer. Playmaker. Straw that stirs the drink on his line.

Reinhart has a career sh% of 13.6 and has scored 22 or more goals in every single season except his sophomore campaign. 

Krebs potentially has a good sh% but we won't really know until this year plays out. Not enough data yet. 

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is a good point.  Krebs was not a goal scorer going all the way back to u18 AAA so we shouldn't expect him to do it here. 

Krebs - Mitts - Quinn might be a line that works but I think you need to pair Krebs with some additional talent that is really good at shooting. 

Juri Kulich has entered the chat.

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart has a career sh% of 13.6 and has scored 22 or more goals in every single season except his sophomore campaign. 

Krebs potentially has a good sh% but we won't really know until this year plays out. Not enough data yet. 

Again, I hear people say it will come like it some foregone conclusion. When I watch him play, I see beer league level scoring attempts that hit the keeper’s chest. There is nothing that tells me “oh don’t worry, next year he snipes the corner. “ his scoring chances shouldn’t even be classified as that because there’s no chance for that puck to go anywhere in the net.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

But Krebs scored a lot in juniors — 60 pts in 38 games in his last junior season, and 68 pts in 64 games the prior season.  

That’s not even the right statistic.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

My hopes is Krebs becomes a Reinhart type guy. Amazing passer. Playmaker. Straw that stirs the drink on his line.

I like Krebs, but I am not convinced yet that I see top 6 abilities yet.  Hopefully that is coming, but am a bit skeptical so far.  That said, I like the kid and he brings an enthusiasm to our new core that is IMHO extremely important right now.  Whether he is or is not a top 6 level player, his presence may still pay dividends in terms of helping our newbies or potential newbies build the new culture more quickly.

Go to the 40 second mark:  

Edited by Carmel Corn

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Would agree w/ most, if not all, of this.

Krebs, if he develops into a true top 6 F, will likely be a 15 G scorer w/ 40+ assists.  He absolutely needs to have at least 1, if not 2 finishers on his line or he'll be a 30 point player even as a top 6 guy.

And also see him as a W at this point, but if he gains strength could see him as more of a Briere style C though not as brutal in his own end.

But, expect he'll get a lot better at limiting his turnovers as he gets used to the NHL & also gets a little stronger to have more zip on his passes.  He has great vision, but he's still learning what he can actually get through/ past a defender.  He seems to be a bright kid, so really expect him to figure that out.

Would like him to play with either Mittelstadt or Cozens but he needs to have Oloffson, Quinn, or Peterka (or even Skinner, but don't see Jeff & Thompson split & could see him centering Skinner being a nightmare in the D zone) as a finisher is imperative.  (So, your proposed line fits that billing but unless he's going to be part of a kid line getting sheltered usage would rather he have the more experienced vet Olofsson as his sniper.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not sure how long it will take before the mob comes for Peyton Krebs for his lack of finish. One thing I hope people don’t overlook though is the fact that is he is getting and creating chances. He was the best forechecker out there and one of the best in transition.

Well Vinnie Hinostroza won't be here forever, so....

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

I say one of the best, because the best was clearly Quinn, who was also the best player on the ice. Kid look so confident and skilled with puck on his stick, and so engaged.

...and Quinn is Skinner, Jr.?

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm curious what those who prefer Krebs on the wing thought of his ROchester playoff performance.

To me, he looked like a natural centre down there, both ends of the ice.

Liked his play in the playoffs. But he was one of the most talented players on the ice at that level. And some of his passes that worked there won't work at the next level.

Expect that at this point he'd be a better W in the show, but could definitely see him hybriding that role w/ Mitts or Cozens.  (More likely Mitts, IMHO.)

And don't want him sent down, because at this point he needs to figure out what he can & can't do at the NHL level.  Making AHL D look silly won't help him figure that out.  Again, MHO.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Again, I hear people say it will come like it some foregone conclusion. When I watch him play, I see beer league level scoring attempts that hit the keeper’s chest. There is nothing that tells me “oh don’t worry, next year he snipes the corner. “ his scoring chances shouldn’t even be classified as that because there’s no chance for that puck to go anywhere in the net.

I did not look up stats as a comparable, but I see Dixon Ward style of vision and passing.  With hustle.  

A top 9 on PP2. 

But I do not see a first line player.  

Krebs has been a turnover king that needs to relearn his game for the pro level. Just like Tage’s spin moves didn’t work in the NHL until they did, Krebs passing won’t work until he relearns the window. 

Tage finally clicked last year. If there is hope for Krebs is we’re waiting for that click. 

but he’s never going to be a finisher. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, SDS said:

He gets pushed off the puck. Definitely needs to cultivate mass.  He has had some ridiculous assists and setups when he finds space and time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.