Sabres Development Camp July 13-17

Brawndo

Buffalo News’ Lance Lysowski has a piece about 6th round pick Lukas Rousek, and how he turned heads at the camp. That sort of unanticipated good NHL-quality player is precisely what a winning team needs. Here’s hoping Lukas can fill that role for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Buffalo News’ Lance Lysowski has a piece about 6th round pick Lukas Rousek, and how he turned heads at the camp. That sort of unanticipated good NHL-quality player is precisely what a winning team needs. Here’s hoping Lukas can fill that role for the Sabres.

Rousek popped for me during the Amerks playoff run.

Other “unknowns” I noticed during the 3-on-3 were Lindgren (skating) Kozak (hustle) and Costantini (just generally being around the puck in traffic).

He’s not exactly “unknown” but Portillo was also very good: composed and imposing.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

16 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Went on Wednesday.  While interesting at times and boring at others, one thing stood out….no paper rosters to be handed out.  PSE proving once again they can’t get out of their own way. 👎🏻

😳

There is zero reason to produce more trash when probably 100% have access to an electronic roster. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

😳

There is zero reason to produce more trash when probably 100% have access to an electronic roster. 

Just what I want…stare at my phone more.  A few hundred sheets of paper isn’t going to be the end of the world.  

Gotta go now…need to find some leaves to wipe myself with after going to the bathroom. 

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just what I want…stare at my phone more.  A few hundred sheets of paper isn’t going to be the end of the world.  

Gotta go now…need to find some leaves to wipe myself with after going to the bathroom. 

Make sure sure they are furry kind

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

While I am sure you prefer the paper roster, it’s 100% wrong to paint this as a failure in 2022. Paperless boarding passes onto airplanes, paperless entries in the stadiums, paperless bills, apple pay and other electronic payments, etc… reduce trash. Humans really need to be able to pick the lowest of all hanging fruit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

While I am sure you prefer the paper roster, it’s 100% wrong to paint this as a failure in 2022. Paperless boarding passes onto airplanes, paperless entries in the stadiums, paperless bills, apple pay and other electronic payments, etc… reduce trash. Humans really need to be able to pick the lowest of all hanging fruit.

I guess I could just print the roster at home next time. In the past, at dev camps and training camps they have always had rosters at the rink. 

Lesson learned. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I guess I could just print the roster at home next time. In the past, at dev camps and training camps they have always had rosters at the rink. 

Lesson learned. 

I’d guess they stopped due to a large number of them being left in the stands most years.

From the Athletic’s wrap-up article on the camp:

4. Coaches couldn’t stop gushing about J.J. Peterka, who had a breakout season in the AHL last year. A second-round pick in 2020, Peterka has exciting skill and a scorer’s mentality on the ice. Rochester assistant Michael Peca worked closely with him last season and was blown away by his progress.

“I still view him as a unicorn,” Peca said. “I can’t find anybody I played with or against, even in today’s game, that resembles the type of player he can become.

“He has no idea how good he can be, which is scary. It’s the blend of the power and speed and the skill set with his hands and his shot and his ability to play in a physical game. He can play in any environment, and he can dominate in any environment.”

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d guess they stopped due to a large number of them being left in the stands most years.

From anything I've been at in the last couple years, I think COVID officially killed the paper roster.  Ultimately it's really just a cost saving move (and a perfectly reasonable one), but the signs always say "due to COVID".

23 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

23 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Make sure sure they are furry kind

I recommend looking for plants with leaves of 3.... really work the bunghole

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

4. Coaches couldn’t stop gushing about J.J. Peterka, who had a breakout season in the AHL last year. A second-round pick in 2020, Peterka has exciting skill and a scorer’s mentality on the ice. Rochester assistant Michael Peca worked closely with him last season and was blown away by his progress.

“I still view him as a unicorn,” Peca said. “I can’t find anybody I played with or against, even in today’s game, that resembles the type of player he can become.

“He has no idea how good he can be, which is scary. It’s the blend of the power and speed and the skill set with his hands and his shot and his ability to play in a physical game. He can play in any environment, and he can dominate in any environment.”

Sometimes when I’m deep in B.C. rainforest where @PASabreFan, @Weave and the other cool kids on Sabrespace can’t hear me, I crack open another Lucky lager, and I look at JJ’s hockey build, his skill set, his back story, and his trajectory and ask myself “why can’t this kid become Nikita Kucherov?”

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sometimes when I’m deep in B.C. rainforest where @PASabreFan, @Weave and the other cool kids on Sabrespace can’t hear me, I crack open another Lucky lager, and I look at JJ’s hockey build, his skill set, his back story, and his trajectory and ask myself “why can’t this kid become Nikita Kucherov?”

Because JJP is much faster and more powerful than Kucherov, of course.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 7/17/2022 at 10:17 AM, LabattBlue said:

Lesson learned. 

Just make sure Jeremy Davies doesn't steal your printer. I hear he needs one. (crossing threads).

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Kinda smacks of Granato’s effusive praise of Dahlin.  Talking him up to boost his confidence.  Maybe Mike really feels that way but dude did log a lot of minutes against some pretty good players. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.