Sabres Development Camp July 13-17

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Sadly I think he ages out before this team is a legit contender (assuming that happens).

It won't happen.  KO will never age out!

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe not a cup favorite but I think we are contending for a playoff spot by next year. This year isn't impossible.

I think he will be a Kyle Williams situation... make the playoffs and retire before they seriously challenge.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Didn't know they took the kids to Highmark too.

Great idea by management!  Help instill the attitude that Buffalo is a sports town with elite caliber teams and culture.  I don't know if any Bills players were there, but that could be icing on the cake for the Sabre newbies.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What I have learned over my years of doing draft and prospect stuff, never take a goalie early because there are always good goalies late.

Interesting to see Lindgren actually, his skating and shot were noticeable in drills. I think he slid and shouldn't have so could job by the scouting department to have he rated highly.

Do you think Montreal made a mistake with Price or TB with Andrei Vasilevskiy?

While goalie might be the hardest position in all of sport to properly scout and project I do think if you feel strong enough about one then take them. Every pick is a crapshoot on some level.  The Sabres seemed to feel very strong about the Finnish kid. They might be off but they felt he wouldn’t be there in round 3. He was also their 4th pick of the draft.

I generally agree with your philosophy but going high on a goalie every once in a while when you have a bunch of picks isn’t the end of the world.

• Like (+1) 6

18 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Nobody deserves to be a part of a winner more than KO himself.  Sadly I think he ages out before this team is a legit contender (assuming that happens).   Still really want it for him (and us). 

We're going to get a good idea soon. He's a UFA. If the Sabres make him C like everyone expects you have to think they'll have some kind of contract extension already lined up. If he wants to move to a Cup contender at the end of this season (and you know someone will take him) then it's gonna look bad to make him the C of this season.

If there's no extension, and he's the C and leaves in UFA.. well it will tell us how much he believes what he just said.

That said, I expect he's sticking around.

All accounts have Kulich as the star of camp, with Levi not far behind. I've heard pro ready and comparisons to JJ's meteoric rise post draft.

Soon after the draft, when asked where he plans to play next year, he boldly responded "in Buffalo". Maybe he's not so far off? It would be great to have him on this side of the pond for his D+1 (drafted 3rd in the Q import draft).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LTS said:

We're going to get a good idea soon. He's a UFA. If the Sabres make him C like everyone expects you have to think they'll have some kind of contract extension already lined up. If he wants to move to a Cup contender at the end of this season (and you know someone will take him) then it's gonna look bad to make him the C of this season.

If there's no extension, and he's the C and leaves in UFA.. well it will tell us how much he believes what he just said.

That said, I expect he's sticking around.

I don’t think they should make a 4th line player the captain. Give him an A, and make Tuch the captain. He’s a top line player with the attributes you want in a captain, and could be so for years.

10 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

I don’t think they should make a 4th line player the captain. Give him an A, and make Tuch the captain. He’s a top line player with the attributes you want in a captain, and could be so for years.

I have to disagree.  KO is the right man for the C this year.  I will agree that Tuch will be a good C candidate for the future.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

I don’t think Granato or Adams view any line as a certain number. 4th line, 3rd line etc … I think that’s a concept that certain fans want to grasp onto and cling to.

Edited by Zamboni

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

Obligatory "Okposo was 4th in ice time among Sabres forwards, and the 37th highest scoring RW in the entire NHL" post here.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

I could make an argument that a 4th line player with KO’s intangibles might just serve as the best kind of example and inspiration. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.