Sabres Development Camp July 13-17

Brawndo

35 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Be interesting to see if Portillo or Johnson are there. 

Should be an interesting one with all the new additions from the draft and getting to see guys from the past couple drafts for the first time.

How does that work for NCAA players, can the Sabres fly and house them in Buffalo, or would that be receiving money?

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

How does that work for NCAA players, can the Sabres fly and house them in Buffalo, or would that be receiving money?

I would think just a year or two ago that wouldn't fly, but now???  The NCAA is going through a lot of change.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Not sure, but the NCAA guys are always there, which is nice, since you don’t get to see them at training camp come September. 

• Like (+1) 1

The college players come to prospects camp but they don’t come to training camp. I don’t know what the new rules entail but they used to be able to come if they weren’t getting paid. Same with the European prospects whose seasons are starting around training camp time so they only come in the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not sure, but the NCAA guys are always there, which is nice, since you don’t get to see them at training camp come September. 

I wonder if they just pay that out of pocket as an investment to their future. It's possible the school would help them out too. It sounds counter-intuitive, but attracting future-NHL talent is easier if you have future-NHL talent on the team already, and I'd think that a player might avoid a school that makes that harder. Who knows.

EDIT:

The NCAA permits players to attend NHL Development Camps in July but there are strict rules for doing so without losing their amateur status as defined by the NCAA. This year, most of the Flyers' NCAA-affiliated prospects were in Development Camp, including O'Brien and 2019 first-round pick York.

In a nutshell, the NCAA required the collegiate players at Flyers' Development Camp to pay their own way (including transportation costs, hotel and food) for all but the first 48 hours at camp. The "48-hour rule" partial exemption that allows the Flyers to cover hotel and food for two days applies only to first-time attendees. The 48-hour clock starts ticking upon arrival at camp. All attendees must pay for their own round-trip transportation. Returning attendees must pay their own way for the entire duration of their stay, which technically includes even food. 

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/meltzers-411-about-the-college-kids/c-308262592

Edited by MattPie
Actually looked for info
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Looking forward to this.

The Sabres have traditionally included older prospects on the cusp — basically unsigned prospects and ELC prospects who haven't full "made the team" yet.

That means top projected Sabres Quinn and Peterka, top goalies Portillo and Levi, college prospects Huglen and Johnson, new signees Rosen and Kisakov, AHLers Rousek and Weissbach, CHL surprises Nadeau and Bloom, plus our first looks at more low-profile guys like Sardarian, Van Barnekow, Costantini, Cedarquist, Konecny and more, including the coming 2022 haul with (presumably) at least 4 exciting new additions.

Lots of guys we've not seen much of, or never seen at all.

If a Power or Krebs or UPL shows up, or Novikov and Poltapov can sneak out of Russia, so much the better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

I wonder if they just pay that out of pocket as an investment to their future. It's possible the school would help them out too. It sounds counter-intuitive, but attracting future-NHL talent is easier if you have future-NHL talent on the team already, and I'd think that a player might avoid a school that makes that harder. Who knows.

EDIT:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/meltzers-411-about-the-college-kids/c-308262592

I bet this changes soon. Getting a check to sign autographs is okay (the horse puckey in that is thick), but going to training camp and getting free room and board is not?

It's from the Slate.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/05/ncaa-name-image-likeness-athlete-pay-for-play-dilemma.html

*The NCAA is in a fundamental pickle. The association represents university presidents, and those administrators would really, really like to put a stop to football boosters using “name, image, and likeness” payments as carrots to recruit players to their schools.*

*After the NCAA started to allow outside payments to players without an in-depth framework, the inevitable followed. One by one, moneyed boosters at programs around the country fired up name, image, and likeness “collectives,” where donors send money into a pot that, in turn, gets paid out to a school’s athletes for what is nominally promotional activity. But the amounts paid to some players have made it obvious that the collectives engage in pay-for-play disguised as endorsement or sponsorship money from detached third parties. (The collectives set themselves up with tax-exempt status, something that’s already raised the eyebrows of a lot of tax lawyers.) *

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, MattPie said:

All attendees must pay for their own way for the entire duration of their stay, which technically includes even food. 

I've been to conferences hosted by federal contractors and attended by federal employees; they set it up so that they can pay a very nominal fee (like $3 breakfast, $5 lunch) so that the employees are "paying their own way" to avoid conflict of interest.  Sometimes there was not even a formal payment, just a jar (like a tip jar) to make voluntary payment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they put out buffets with a similar payment system.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I've been to conferences hosted by federal contractors and attended by federal employees; they set it up so that they can pay a very nominal fee (like $3 breakfast, $5 lunch) so that the employees are "paying their own way" to avoid conflict of interest.  Sometimes there was not even a formal payment, just a jar (like a tip jar) to make voluntary payment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they put out buffets with a similar payment system.

Accepting payment as a Federal employee is an extreme pain in the ass. It is true there are nominal limits we can accept. It as strict as if you are bringing pizza in for a lunchtime employee-only meeting, each employee has to pay in with cash. If we go to a restaurant, separate checks for everyone.

And we’re not just talking about Federal employees at-risk for being bribed (judge, law enforcement, IRS, etc). We’re talking everyone. That we can’t even buy stuff for internal colleagues is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, kas23 said:

Accepting payment as a Federal employee is an extreme pain in the ass. It is true there are nominal limits we can accept. It as strict as if you are bringing pizza in for a lunchtime employee-only meeting, each employee has to pay in with cash. If we go to a restaurant, separate checks for everyone.

And we’re not just talking about Federal employees at-risk for being bribed (judge, law enforcement, IRS, etc). We’re talking everyone. That we can’t even buy stuff for internal colleagues is ridiculous. 

That must not apply to Congress.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Good question. I know this was probably said in jest, but Congress are elected officials. They may have different rules. Their staff are definitely Federal employees. 

I'm sure there are rules but there are also loopholes and workarounds. The end result is the same.

We just learned that Mark Meadows was given a million dollar "donation" from Trump's election fraud fund.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.