NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Given the numbers we’ve already seen Robertson put up at such a young age, it’s more unlikely than likely that any one of our current prospects becomes that good. We also have a substantial prospect pool, full to the extent I’d argue the only way we’d truly maximize its potential is to trade some potential away for real talent: not every pick will, or even can, make it. 

This is where it pays to have a GM you trust. 

If you trust his evaluation skills, a Robertson trade would be very exciting because I’d likely trust Adams to have identified the prospects he felt comfortable moving. With our pool being what it is, with Robertson being as good as he is, while being this young/lined up w/our core, this is definitely a move that CAN be successfully pulled off with aptitude, with the sky being the limit for success rate. Robertson is real good. 

You don’t want to be in the business of depleting your prospect ranks for now players, but a swap or two, depending on depth of pool, moves from unwise, to possible, to beneficial and necessary over time.

I’d be hesitant to deal Cozens and probably wouldn’t, because I feel he is a lock at C moving forward and that positional availability has high value. Obviously Power is off the board. We have a lot of prospective wingers.

I generally agree with this in the abstract, but I think that culture and attitude are extremely important to KA.  Unless he's had sufficient personal experience with Robertson to be very comfortable that his motor/attitude/esprit de corps fit what KA is looking for, I do not think KA would pay a high price for Robertson (or for any player, for that matter).  KA has zero interest in bringing in another Evander Kane or rhymes-with-Shmeikel.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree with this in the abstract, but I think that culture and attitude are extremely important to KA.  Unless he's had sufficient personal experience with Robertson to be very comfortable that his motor/attitude/esprit de corps fit what KA is looking for, I do not think KA would pay a high price for Robertson (or for any player, for that matter).  KA has zero interest in bringing in another Evander Kane or rhymes-with-Shmeikel.

Agree. Not advocating for Robertson specifically merely that a Robertson-type acquisition is feasible. 

If KA doesn’t make the deal it’s because he’s not enamoured with the player relative to the cost of acquisition, not because he’s ruled out the idea of trading prospects entirely. 

40 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Bolded the important part.

But also yes.

I don't think it'll happen either, but i also believe Rivet and Peters wouldn't mention it if they didn't have a really good lead on it. The way i see it is, similarly how when Bills signed JD McKissic but then he bailed before he signed the paperwork, it showed the Bills' cards, i think this (assuming you believe the rumor, and i do) shows Adams' cards a bit. If he inquired about Robertson, he had to have known before hand it would be a haul, but also shows he's willing to be aggressive and isn't married to all of these prospects for next 2-3 and let this rebuild slowly marinade.  Maybe they strike out on Robertson for whatever reason, maybe price is too high, but i think Adams packaging a few guys for a bigger fish will be made sooner then later.

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And people have to realize it would take owen power and not some leftover Scraps 

No it would not. The price would be huge but to think it would have to be Owen Power included is silly.

42 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I don't think it'll happen either, but i also believe Rivet and Peters wouldn't mention it if they didn't have a really good lead on it. The way i see it is, similarly how when Bills signed JD McKissic but then he bailed before he signed the paperwork, it showed the Bills' cards, i think this (assuming you believe the rumor, and i do) shows Adams' cards a bit. If he inquired about Robertson, he had to have known before hand it would be a haul, but also shows he's willing to be aggressive and isn't married to all of these prospects for next 2-3 and let this rebuild slowly marinade.  Maybe they strike out on Robertson for whatever reason, maybe price is too high, but i think Adams packaging a few guys for a bigger fish will be made sooner then later.

No it would not. The price would be huge but to think it would have to be Owen Power included is silly.

Yes a guy going into a 3rd year with 125 points in 128 games isn't going to cost buffalo its top NHL prospect.

Please tell me who you would want if the shoe was on the other foot.

Edited by Buffalonill

11 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yes a guy going into a 3rd year with 125 points in 128 games isn't going to cost buffalo its top NHL prospect.

Please tell me who you would want if the shoe was on the other foot.

Not every top prospect is the same. Power is elite level. So if they ask for Power and Sabres say no, Dallas is SOL? Cmon.

Teams trading a player like Robertson don't have that leverage to demand the best prospect in the world of hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Agree. Not advocating for Robertson specifically merely that a Robertson-type acquisition is feasible. 

If KA doesn’t make the deal it’s because he’s not enamoured with the player relative to the cost of acquisition, not because he’s ruled out the idea of trading prospects entirely. 

We won't have room for all the prospects on the big league roster eventually. Something has to give. Not necessarily a bad idea to package a few for a proven elite player.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

We won't have room for all the prospects on the big league roster eventually. Something has to give. Not necessarily a bad idea to package a few for a proven elite player.

That trade looks like this: Cozens, Savoie, 2023 1st, Ryan Johnson and something else like Olofsson or maybe they want another prospect like Quinn or JJP

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

That trade looks like this: Cozens, Savoie, 2023 1st, Ryan Johnson and something else like Olofsson or maybe they want another prospect like Quinn or JJP

I mean, if the ask is Cozens, Savoie, Quinn, 1st, Johnson of course it’s a “no” but I highly doubt the ask would be that extreme. Your option with VO instead that you listed first is probably closer to the mark, but even then that’s 5 assets. 

I could see it being the 1st, Johnson, and 2 of Cozens/Quinn/Peterka/Savoie but I’d think Cozens as an NHLer is off the table for Buffalo, so two of Quinn/Peterka/Savoie. 

Very steep price, basically 2 guys with close to Robertson ceilings, and a 1st and D prospect on top of that, too. For me, I’d be much more inclined if one of the 2 from the Quinn/Peterka/Savoie group was bumped down to a lower tier prospect. 

But that may be no bueno for Dallas. 

Quinn/Rosen/Johnson/1st. Buffalo or Dallas says no? 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Two or less said:

Not every top prospect is the same. Power is elite level. So if they ask for Power and Sabres say no, Dallas is SOL? Cmon.

Teams trading a player like Robertson don't have that leverage to demand the best prospect in the world of hockey.

But robertson is elite why would dallas trade a away a super star already for a   Mystery Box player 

When they know power is already good ? 

Edited by Buffalonill

28 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

But robertson is elite why would dallas trade a away a super star already for a   Mystery Box player 

When they know power is already good ? 

I don't get to elite with him.  He is close to an elite goal scorer (has that potential) and has a very good overall offensive game.  I can get to very good/bordering on great as a player MAYBE, but not elite when you are 5 years from your draft, 30th in the NHL in scoring over the last 2 years, a below average skater who is so average defensively he isn't relied on to kill penalties ever.

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't get to elite with him.  He is close to an elite goal scorer (has that potential) and has a very good overall offensive game.  I can get to very good/bordering on great as a player MAYBE, but not elite when you are 5 years from your draft, 30th in the NHL in scoring over the last 2 years, a below average skater who is so average defensively he isn't relied on to kill penalties ever.

Im quite curious what do you think hes worth then

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Im quite curious what do you think hes worth then

Honestly, hes just not someone I want the Sabres to chase.  I don't think he is a good 2 way player and he is a very good finisher but he doesn't create many chances at all by himself. He is good, but not Elite.  If the Sabres WANTED to trade for him, I don't know.  To me he is the type of player you WANTED Jeff Skinner to be when you signed his contract. Skinner was never going to kill penalties, he wasn't going to be a player to transition the puck out of your own zone. He was just going to put up goals and be good around the net with a good shot.

When I see Robertson, I think I would value him like Reinhart, just with a bit more size and a slightly better shot, but a bit less playmaking ability. What is that worth to you?  To me, I like the prospects/young guys the Sabres have now so I'd rather roll the dice with them and see which pan out.  If Dallas wanted to take a future protected (non top-10) first rounder, Mitts, and a 2nd tier prospect I'd think about that. But I don't think Dallas does that and for the Sabres I don't want to do more than that.  Then you have to consider what he wants to get paid. Again, I don't want to pay someone like him $9 million per year AND give up assets fro him when he isn't a complete player and he has done it for 'one' year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

If Dallas wanted to take a future protected (non top-10) first rounder, Mitts, and a 2nd tier prospect I'd think about that.

Using the Kevin Fiala trade as a comparable you're not far off on what he should go for. Robertson is not going to command the trades people are talking about. He is an unsigned (albeit restricted) player with one and a half very good/great seasons. He is not going for more than Jack Eichel, sorry.

3 hours ago, Two or less said:

but i also believe Rivet and Peters wouldn't mention it if they didn't have a really good lead on it.

I agree and I also think it was only mentioned because it was more than a simple phone call. That being said, I'd be willing to bet the conversation went like this:

"Hey Jim, Kevyn here. Listen, we know you've got cap issues and can't come to an agreement with Robertson. We've had an eye on him if you'd be looking to move him."

"We're not willing to move him for anything less than [some absurd value]."

"Jim, that's not even close to a deal and you know it."

"We don't want to move him. We'll get the deal done."

"Alright, no worries. Just trying to see what we could make happen. If you're looking to make the deal, is there anything we can do to facilitate things? Paying Khudobin $3.3m to sit in the AHL can't be making this easy for you. We could always take him off your roster for [some value]."

"Let me call you back Kevyn."

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

His scoring stats speak for themselve. He was an absolute elite goal scorer in OHL, then in the AHL and has been lighting the league on fire ever since he came in.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's too much. Dallas ain't getting that from nobody if they trade him. The equivalent of 5 first round picks and a NHL roster player? 

• Like (+1) 1

Robertson is a restricted free agent.  I imagine that he will eventually sign with Dallas if they don't get a trade proposal that they love.

The Sabres could most likely get him if they wanted to but some of the proposals are Tim Murray worthy (no thanks, let's wait for this season).

21 minutes ago, Two or less said:

His scoring stats speak for themselve. He was an absolute elite goal scorer in OHL, then in the AHL and has been lighting the league on fire ever since he came in.

30th in the league is good, not elite.  I reserve the term elite for the best of the best, not someone who had one good year finishing in that position in the league.

Good, great, elite. He is not elite. Matthews, draisatl, Ovie. Top 10 in points or top 5 in goals. Robertson is not there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.