NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A friend of mine told me Hockeybuzz reported that Buffalo was considering an offer sheet for him. More then likely this is a story told enough times that people are starting to believe it. I’d be surprised, but not shocked to hear Buffalo has talked to Dallas.

If Dallas knows we're going to offer sheet him and are willing to give him up, they may be more interested in making a trade that would give them more mature prospects in lieu of draft picks.

On the other hand, Kevyn may be just kicking the tires to see if anything is there.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Fiala as a trade is about as even as you can get.   Forward RFA that can not be signed by his team due to cap restrictions.

Fiala got traded for Brock Faber and a 2022 19th overal pick !!

Send them Östlund and top 10 protected first rounder.  <-- and I like Östlund a lot.

Robertson is three years younger and one of the best play drivers from the wing, His Return will require another Top Asset 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

On the other hand, Kevyn may be just kicking the tires to see if anything is there.

I'm decidedly in this camp. We know he's been active on draft days inquiring about moving picks (up, down and sideways). I suspect he made a call to Dallas to ask what they'd be interested in. I'm also pretty sure at least 20 other GMs have picked up the phone as well.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Robertson is three years younger and one of the best play drivers from the wing, His Return will require another Top Asset 

I suspect it'll be an unprotected 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm in this camp as well,  if Dallas just wants to get something then we might play.  We are not going to be doing offer sheets IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The Sabres should use the future considerations from the Bishop deal to get this done. 

Thought about that too.  What future considerations would we possibly get for that though

Edited by ddaryl

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Of course I'd look into it, but without knowing many details, I'd say its isn't something I am going to pursue all that hard.

If the issue in Dallas is a contract issue, that means he is, in some way, looking for something Dallas isn't willing to give.  They already HAVE him, they don't have to give anything up for him and they are still reluctant to give/pay what he wants. The question for any other team is, do you want to trade the assets needed to get him and then pay him what is likely 'not to be' a bargain contract?  Again, I'd look into it but I wouldn't push that hard for someone who scored over 40 goals 1 time.

Part of Dallas’s issue is that they can’t afford to give him a big money ($8M+) long term contract.  They are probably trying to sign him to a $5M 1-2 year bridge or something.  He is probably looking for a $8-9M 8 year deal, which he is probably worth.

Edited by Curt

Just now, Doohickie said:

Baby Eating GIF

Dallas will love him just as much as that baby is loving that pureed nonsense

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The Sabres should use the future considerations from the Bishop deal to get this done. 

I don't know if a 16th round pick in 2046 is going to get it done

• Haha (+1) 1

Have we not learned anything about KA during rebuild 3.0?  He isn’t bringing in any outside assets in the organization unless he has no choice such as goaltending and an RHD and even then they’ll be value oriented transactions.  

While bringing Robertson is certainly interesting, no way KA trades any of his precious young talent for him.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have we not learned anything about KA during rebuild 3.0?  He isn’t bringing in any outside assets in the organization unless he has no choice such as goaltending and an RHD and even then they’ll be value oriented transactions.  

While bringing Robertson is certainly interesting, no way KA trades any of his precious young talent for him.  

I could see him moving Oloffson, Ryan Johnson and/or Portillo or protected 1st round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Fiala as a trade is about as even as you can get.   Forward RFA that can not be signed by his team due to cap restrictions.

Fiala got traded for Brock Faber and a 2022 19th overal pick !!

Send them Östlund and top 10 protected first rounder.  <-- and I like Östlund a lot.

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The other good comparable is Alex Debrincat, just a year older and more proven.

He cost a 3rd, a 2nd and a top 10 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Part of Dallas’s issue is that they can’t afford to give him a big money ($8M+) long term contract.  They are probably trying to sign him to a $5M 1-2 year bridge or something.  He is probably looking for a $8-9M 8 year deal, which he is probably worth.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree with both of these -- Robertson almost certainly wants a fat long-term contract, which KA isn't going to give to an outsider at this point, and KA also isn't going to give up the crown jewels of his rebuild, i.e. Quinn, Peterka, Power, Rosen, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, Krebs, Tuch, TT, etc.  I also think Cozens is NFW for this deal.

I could see KA giving Robertson a good bridge deal and giving up Mittlestadt, VO and a top-3 protected #1 though, but I don't think that would get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Fair point, but if that were the only obstacle, KA would probably retain salary and/or take on a cap dump from Dallas in the deal.

If Buffalo could add Robertson for VO/Mitts/1st, but the cost of retaining $2m in cap for two years on VO's contract kept KA from doing it, I'd be moving back to Buffalo and starting a pitchfork store next to Harborcenter.

The good news is after a week I could afford to buy the team and fire KA.

Given the numbers we’ve already seen Robertson put up at such a young age, it’s more unlikely than likely that any one of our current prospects becomes that good. We also have a substantial prospect pool, full to the extent I’d argue the only way we’d truly maximize its potential is to trade some potential away for real talent: not every pick will, or even can, make it. 

This is where it pays to have a GM you trust. 

If you trust his evaluation skills, a Robertson trade would be very exciting because I’d likely trust Adams to have identified the prospects he felt comfortable moving. With our pool being what it is, with Robertson being as good as he is, while being this young/lined up w/our core, this is definitely a move that CAN be successfully pulled off with aptitude, with the sky being the limit for success rate. Robertson is real good. 

You don’t want to be in the business of depleting your prospect ranks for now players, but a swap or two, depending on depth of pool, moves from unwise, to possible, to beneficial and necessary over time.

I’d be hesitant to deal Cozens and probably wouldn’t, because I feel he is a lock at C moving forward and that positional availability has high value. Obviously Power is off the board. We have a lot of prospective wingers.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Given the numbers we’ve already seen Robertson put up at such a young age, it’s more unlikely than likely that any one of our current prospects becomes that good. We also have a substantial prospect pool, full to the extent I’d argue the only way we’d truly maximize its potential is to trade some potential away for real talent: not every pick will, or even can, make it. 

This is where it pays to have a GM you trust. 

If you trust his evaluation skills, a Robertson trade would be very exciting because I’d likely trust Adams to have identified the prospects he felt comfortable moving. With our pool being what it is, with Robertson being as good as he is, while being this young/lined up w/our core, this is definitely a move that CAN be successfully pulled off with aptitude, with the sky being the limit for success rate. Robertson is real good. 

You don’t want to be in the business of depleting your prospect ranks for now players, but a swap or two, depending on depth of pool, moves from unwise, to possible, to beneficial and necessary over time.

I’d be hesitant to deal Cozens and probably wouldn’t, because I feel he is a lock at C moving forward and that positional availability has high value. Obviously Power is off the board. We have a lot of prospective wingers.

Rather keep jack quinn then pay another winger 9M when we dont have a number 1 center 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Stretches believability to the breaking point. KA has been in the accumulate assets stage. Just because that’s how the roster has been operated thus far, doesn’t mean the situation doesn’t/can’t change as time goes on. I’m not saying the time is now, but to rule out the possibility of KA ever making deals that include prospects because we haven’t really seen one yet is absurd. 

No GM exists in a scenario where deals for prospects are forevermore off the table and that would be a poor strategy to take.

It has to be the *right* deal, but to rule it out full stop in absolute fashion is a bad tactic that bad GMs take. Dealing in absolutes. Just like what made Botterill’s draft strategy bad is that he avoided the CHL absolutely after the first round refusing ever to shift.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.