NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

15 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Rough couple of months for Flames fans. Get their teeth kicked in in the Battle of Alberta, watch Gaudreau sign with CBJ, of all places, and now this.

Cringe Reaction GIF

Saw this posted elsewhere: I'd agree.
Image.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, kas23 said:

And someone will have to give Levi some competition, as it probably won’t be Portillo. 

Maybe this is why Kevyn is saying there's no downside if Portillo walks; he's already got Plan B. 

I genuinely think Kevyn learned something when Ullmark signed with Boston, that a deal is never done until it's done.  He got caught short by that but has resolved to lever let that happen again.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Maybe this is why Kevyn is saying there's no downside if Portillo walks; he's already got Plan B. 

I genuinely think Kevyn learned something when Ullmark signed with Boston, that a deal is never done until it's done.  He got caught short by that but has resolved to lever let that happen again.

He did learn something.  There is more of a demand for guys that have shown glimpses of being able to handle a starter's workload than he realized.  He also likely learned that if you really are willing to go to $Y for a guy that can shop his services, it's really dumb to only offer $X.

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He did learn something.  There is more of a demand for guys that have shown glimpses of being able to handle a starter's workload than he realized.  He also likely learned that if you really are willing to go to $Y for a guy that can shop his services, it's really dumb to only offer $X.

Nope, I don't think that's what he learned.  I think no matter what he was not going to step up to retain Ullmark; he didn't see Ullmark's value that high for that long.  What he learned is that an incomplete deal is no deal and he should have been planning for the eventuality of losing Ullmark.  That, absent a deal, he should have traded Ullmark at the deadline for the best return he could get and immediately plan on moving on.

I think Ullmark decided that unless the Sabres paid him a premium, he was was going to move on.  He'd seen enough of the Eichel Sabres, a dysfunctional franchise, and wanted to play for a winner.  And there was no way Kevyn was getting into a bidding war over Ullmark.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Nope, I don't think that's what he learned.  I think no matter what he was not going to step up to retain Ullmark; he didn't see Ullmark's value that high for that long.  What he learned is that an incomplete deal is no deal and he should have been planning for the eventuality of losing Ullmark.  That, absent a deal, he should have traded Ullmark at the deadline for the best return he could get and immediately plan on moving on.

Think whatever you want, but he offered to match what the Bruins offered.  Ullmark told him he had to beat that offer (just like the Bruins had to beat the Sabres original offer).

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Exactly.  Kevyn was not about to get drawn into that.  Nor should he have.  The mistake he made was holding and unsigned Ullmark at the trade deadline.  He shoulda moved him for an asset of some sort.

Exactly what?

Had Adams made the offer initially that he eventually agreed to match, Ullmark would've been a Sabre.  Truly doubt the Bruins would've been able to exceed what they offered and signed Ullmark for.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Exactly what?

Exactly, Kevyn was not going to get caught in a bidding war.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Had Adams made the offer initially that he eventually agreed to match, Ullmark would've been a Sabre.

You have no reason to make that assertion.  I think Ullmark wanted out of what he saw was a dysfunctional organization and wanted to play for a winner. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You have no reason to make that assertion.  I think Ullmark wanted out of what he saw was a dysfunctional organization and wanted to play for a winner. 

That's what i sense too, unless, Buffalo came up with a can't refuse offer for him to stay, which Adams wasn't going to do.

Yea I think it’s a big leap of faith (and bias) to think Ullmark “wanted” to remain a Sabre. And therefore, only because Adams didn’t give him a huge (undeserved) payday, Ullmark packed up his toys and looked for employment elsewhere. It’s only, and solely Adams fault, Ullmark didn’t remain a Sabre. 

I’m personally glad Ullmark left. He was “ok” in my book. Didn’t suck. Didn’t impress. I wonder what domino effect him staying would have had. As far as all acquisitions/drafts, not just the low hanging fruit of goaltending.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Exactly, Kevyn was not going to get caught in a bidding war.

No, you have no reason to keep perpetuating your fan fiction.

We know Ullmark told Adams he would accept the Sabres offer if nobody beat it.  Several sources reported that and neither side challenged that reporting.  There were reports that Adams offered to match the Bruin offer and Ullmark told him the Sabres would then need to beat that offer.  

Think what you want, but the reality is Adams wanted to keep Ullmark but played his hand poorly.  Expecting he's learned from that, but it isn't what you thought he learned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No, you have no reason to keep perpetuating your fan fiction.

We know Ullmark told Adams he would accept the Sabres offer if nobody beat it.  Several sources reported that and neither side challenged that reporting.  There were reports that Adams offered to match the Bruin offer and Ullmark told him the Sabres would then need to beat that offer.  

Think what you want, but the reality is Adams wanted to keep Ullmark but played his hand poorly.  Expecting he's learned from that, but it isn't what you thought he learned.

Even with our crappy goalie situation, if a mediocre goalie gave me that almost-ultimatum, I’d pull the offer and let him walk. 

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Even with our crappy goalie situation, if a mediocre goalie gave me that almost-ultimatum, I’d pull the offer and let him walk. 

Adams set up the situation himself.  HE offered Ullmark less than he was willing to spend & Ullmark said he'd accept it if nobody else topped it.  The Bruins topped it w/ what apparently Adams was actually willing to go to.  That Linus said they offered me this 1st, top it & we've got a deal (provided Boston doesn't re-top it) doesn't seem to be an ultimatum. 

And, maybe they don't get Savoie if Linus signs, but that isn't a good enough reason to have lowballed Linus in the 1st place IMHO.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

We know Ullmark told Adams he would accept the Sabres offer if nobody beat it.  Several sources reported that and neither side challenged that reporting.

Cite one of those sources, please.  I don't remember seeing that authoritatively reported.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Adams wanted to keep Ullmark but played his hand poorly.

I don't deny he wanted to keep Ullmark, but not at any price.  He had an offer on the table; the Bruins beat it.  He was not going to get caught up in a bidding war for a meh goalie.  Adams walked away from what would have been a bad deal.

Edited by Doohickie

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Cite one of those sources, please.  I don't remember seeing that authoritatively reported.

I don't deny he wanted to keep Ullmark, but not at any price.  He had an offer on the table; the Bruins beat it.  He was not going to get caught up in a bidding war for a meh goalie.  Adams walked away from what would have been a bad deal.

Not doing your homework for you.  Go back & re-read the Ullmark FA thread.

And with the Sabres being at the cap floor, wtf should he have walked from "a bad deal" that would have NO I PACT WHATSOEVER on any single other contract on their squad.  OMFG, if he gives Ullmark $1MM more than Doohickie wants him to pay, 5 years from now when Levi has some leverage, he's gonna take him to town.  Seriously?  And, how do you figure he'd've ended up in a bidding war w/ the Bruins had he made his "best" offer up front instead of after the fact?  Nobody suggested he should've exceeded in his offer what he was willing to pay.  BUT the offer he made Linus was less than that.

And, NEVER said he should've gone to "any price" to keep Ullmark.  But, he should've gone to what he was willing to pay before the Bruins went there.  And will continue to stand by that.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not doing your homework for you.  Go back & re-read the Ullmark FA thread.

And with the Sabres being at the cap floor, wtf should he have walked from "a bad deal" that would have NO I PACT WHATSOEVER on any single other contract on their squad.  OMFG, if he gives Ullmark $1MM more than Doohickie wants him to pay, 5 years from now when Levi has some leverage, he's gonna take him to town.  Seriously?  And, how do you figure he'd've ended up in a bidding war w/ the Bruins had he made his "best" offer up front instead of after the fact?  Nobody suggested he should've exceeded in his offer what he was willing to pay.  BUT the offer he made Linus was less than that.

And, NEVER said he should've gone to "any price" to keep Ullmark.  But, he should've gone to what he was willing to pay before the Bruins went there.  And will continue to stand by that.

whatever blah blah blah

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why are we still talking about Ullmark?  Who cares.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That quote in your post, I never said that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.