NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Calgary is about to go from winning the division to drafting Connor Bednard in less than 12 months 

Gaudreau was apparently set on leaving no matter what and now Tkachuk wants out too? Wonder what the issue is. Can they hate Sutter that much or is it something else?

6 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Gaudreau was apparently set on leaving no matter what and now Tkachuk wants out too? Wonder what the issue is. Can they hate Sutter that much or is it something else?

I believe it’s a perfect storm.

1. Sutter’s style doesn’t mesh with more offensive players sometimes

2. Gaudreau has always seemingly wanted to go home and Tkachuk’s homeward rumors have floated since his last contract

3. Gaudreau’s departure effectively broke the camel’s back with Tkachuk

4. CGY’s owner tends to heavily mettle in anything substantial while being anal with stadium negotiations 

5. All the idiotic new age thinking has started infecting some players

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Contempt said:

They chose club elected arbitration with Tkachul because they feared someone was about to drop an offer sheet on him.

44 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They chose club elected arbitration with Tkachul because they feared someone was about to drop an offer sheet on him.

What's fair value on him & will the Sabres be a trade partner w/ Calgary?

Could see him fitting in here, but wonder how much it'd break up the "kumbaya" vibe they've been building.

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

They're Americans and likely want to play in U.S. cities. Calgary, imo, kinda sucks as a place to live. That might be all there is to it, nothing more. So they don't really hate Calgary, they would just rather be somewhere else and they have the power to do it so why not? It's how the CBA works now. 

51 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The offer sheet doesn’t make a ton of sense though because then Calgary could match it. Unless it was like a 1 year $15 million type deal just to call Calgary’s bluff.

I wonder what Markstrom is thinking about all this?

They have 8 forwards under contract and still have to sign their two most coveted RFA’s. They do not have as much room as it would appear.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

Interesting.  I have a theory that the Canadian NHL teams are more prone to make boneheaded and rash management decisions because they are under much more pressure -- both from fans and from the fear of losing players to US markets -- than the US NHL teams are.  This would kinda fit that theory.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

They're Americans and likely want to play in U.S. cities. Calgary, imo, kinda sucks as a place to live. That might be all there is to it, nothing more. So they don't really hate Calgary, they would just rather be somewhere else and they have the power to do it so why not? It's how the CBA works now. 

I was there recently for a couple of days and it seemed like a pretty decent city -- and it's close to the Canadian Rockies, which are pretty close to heaven on earth.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  I have a theory that the Canadian NHL teams are more prone to make boneheaded and rash management decisions because they are under much more pressure -- both from fans and from the fear of losing players to US markets -- than the US NHL teams are.  This would kinda fit that theory.

I was there recently for a couple of days and it seemed like a pretty decent city -- and it's close to the Canadian Rockies, which are pretty close to heaven on earth.

First paragraph definitely seems true.

Second paragraph, Calgary seems like a perfectly nice, if unexciting, city.  I think the issue with Calgary and Edmonton are that they are just so darn far from everywhere, especially for players who aren’t from western Canada.  And cold too, they are darn cold.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

First paragraph definitely seems true.

Second paragraph, Calgary seems like a perfectly nice, if unexciting, city.  I think the issue with Calgary and Edmonton are that they are just so darn far from everywhere, especially for players who aren’t from western Canada.  And cold too, they are darn cold.

Yup. As much as Buffalo takes crap we're a 2 hour flight or less to the entire east coast and to where something like 70% of all canadians live. 

I'm sorry to post something by Eklund, but I just had to laugh.  See bolded comment

Johan Larsson To the Penguins?

ALot of talk about Larsson. Rumor were widespread that he was signing in Pittsburgh, but that was a few days ago, and now that appears to be in question. Larsson is a great middle six option for a team. He can put up around 50 points, while being one of the league’s better defensive forwards.
Source: Eklund
Discuss this Rumor

I respect Johan.  He played his heart out  for the Sabres.  However to put it kindly the guy will never sniff 50 pts in a season even with Pittsburgh.  The guy scored 132 pts in 488 NHL games, with a career high of 18 pts.  Maybe he was thinking about Erod returning to the Pens. LMAO.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

You are right about the first one. Every Canadian city has more media scrutiny than U.S. cities (outside of maybe the big old markets like NY and Boston) and definite fan pressure to deliver. The bar is generally set quite high in comparison to most U.S. cities. 

Well I live in BC so by your phrasing I guess that is "heaven on earth" . I worked in Alberta when I was young. Hated it. Still find Calgary a very boring city. Big sprawling suburbs but really nothing interesting there unless you enjoy a mediocre zoo. Cold as hell in the winter. Just dismal trapped in ice and snow with nothing to do (so they watch hockey). Cow town too. Sort of like Texas North which isn't for me, might be for some people. Yes, the Rockies are close, but a guy like MT can vacation in Banff any time he wants from anywhere so I doubt he'd be all in on the 1-2 hour busy highway pilgrimage average Calgarians have to trek on weekends. 

idk, it could be as simple as he sees the team falling without Johnny Hockey to play with him so he figures now's as good a time as any to exit and grab a payday. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You are right about the first one. Every Canadian city has more media scrutiny than U.S. cities (outside of maybe the big old markets like NY and Boston) and definite fan pressure to deliver. The bar is generally set quite high in comparison to most U.S. cities. 

Well I live in BC so by your phrasing I guess that is "heaven on earth" . I worked in Alberta when I was young. Hated it. Still find Calgary a very boring city. Big sprawling suburbs but really nothing interesting there unless you enjoy a mediocre zoo. Cold as hell in the winter. Just dismal trapped in ice and snow with nothing to do (so they watch hockey). Cow town too. Sort of like Texas North which isn't for me, might be for some people. Yes, the Rockies are close, but a guy like MT can vacation in Banff any time he wants from anywhere so I doubt he'd be all in on the 1-2 hour busy highway pilgrimage average Calgarians have to trek on weekends. 

idk, it could be as simple as he sees the team falling without Johnny Hockey to play with him so he figures now's as good a time as any to exit and grab a payday. 

On the pressure on Canadian teams -- I think it's analogous to the pressure on NFL teams here, which is much higher than the pressure on US NHL teams.

As for heaven on earth -- I was referring to Banff, Lake Louise and that surrounding area, which spills over into BC (as I'm sure you know).  I haven't been to Vancouver or the BC coast, but I hear great things about it.

My understanding is that Calgary has grown quite a bit over the last dozen years or so.  We stayed in a downtown area that had a pretty nice pedestrian area with a bunch of outdoor restaurants and cafes -- so not NYC, LA, Miami or Toronto, and I understand that young, wealthy athletes often want that kind of scene, but it was still pretty nice IMHO.

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

On the pressure on Canadian teams -- I think it's analogous to the pressure on NFL teams here, which is much higher than the pressure on US NHL teams.

As for heaven on earth -- I was referring to Banff, Lake Louise and that surrounding area, which spills over into BC (as I'm sure you know).  I haven't been to Vancouver or the BC coast, but I hear great things about it.

My understanding is that Calgary has grown quite a bit over the last dozen years or so.  We stayed in a downtown area that had a pretty nice pedestrian area with a bunch of outdoor restaurants and cafes -- so not NYC, LA, Miami or Toronto, and I understand that young, wealthy athletes often want that kind of scene, but it was still pretty nice IMHO.

It all comes down to the fact that everyone has their own motivations and interests and those constantly change.
People tend to think that everyone wants the same things but we all want something different at different stages of our life. When I was 21 I wanted to be in the city, Between 30-55, Grand Island was a great place to raise the family and now at 62, I love East Aurora and being able to walk to any of Barbill, Pasquales’s, Griffon’s and Rick’s on Main and no freakin open container law. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It all comes down to the fact that everyone has their own motivations and interests and those constantly change.
People tend to think that everyone wants the same things but we all want something different at different stages of our life. When I was 21 I wanted to be in the city, Between 30-55, Grand Island was a great place to raise the family and now at 62, I love East Aurora and being able to walk to any of Barbill, Pasquales’s, Griffon’s and Rick’s on Main and no freakin open container law. 

So the open container law is still cramping your style?  Very nice.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm sorry to post something by Eklund, but I just had to laugh.  See bolded comment

Johan Larsson To the Penguins?

I respect Johan.  He played his heart out  for the Sabres.  However to put it kindly the guy will never sniff 50 pts in a season even with Pittsburgh.  The guy scored 132 pts in 488 NHL games, with a career high of 18 pts.  Maybe he was thinking about Erod returning to the Pens. LMAO.

That is funny.

41 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I like Tkachuk. I love that he brings the chaos. I would consider trading some prospects and a pick or two for him.

I don't want to trade JJP for anybody. 

I would be surprised if Buffalo is involved in the Tkachuk talk. He controls were he goes because of his FA status next year and my guess is he wouldn’t want to be in sane division as his brother. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I would be surprised if Buffalo is involved in the Tkachuk talk. He controls were he goes because of his FA status next year and my guess is he wouldn’t want to be in sane division as his brother. 

I'm leary of his family trying to control too much also

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.