NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

On 6/29/2022 at 6:55 PM, Huckleberry said:

Right now I like having 2 possible Fiala in our system with Quinn and Peterka.  

To be honest I would love to see playoffs like the rest of you, but I don't mind waiting and letting kids grow another year.

Next offseason sign Kane + Mackinnon and plan parade for next 3 years 😛  

It's always NEXT year with the Sabres and I'm tired of it. Nothing personal, but this sort of wait one more year attitude sucks imo. There is a moment to be seized here and it'll slip away fast without the right moves. There's simply no need for it. 

It is possible to develop kids and a young core and also be competitive NOW. L.A. Kings seem to understand it. Just another in the long line of teams that were just as bad as us not long ago moving way ahead of us.  

But don't worry, grampa's in net! 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/1/2022 at 12:57 AM, PerreaultForever said:

It's always NEXT year with the Sabres and I'm tired of it. Nothing personal, but this sort of wait one more year attitude sucks imo. There is a moment to be seized here and it'll slip away fast without the right moves. There's simply no need for it. 

It is possible to develop kids and a young core and also be competitive NOW. L.A. Kings seem to understand it. Just another in the long line of teams that were just as bad as us not long ago moving way ahead of us.  

Entirely different circumstances. We lack a Kopitar and Doughty.

Chicago could of fixed their team akin to LAK but instead blew it with Seth Jones. 

You can’t just shove players into a growing group of guys and expect them to immediately take their place in the roster. That is why you must find the “right” good players not just good players. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Chicago could of fixed their team akin to LAK but instead blew it with Seth Jones. 

You can’t just shove players into a growing group of guys and expect them to immediately take their place in the roster. That is why you must find the “right” good players not just good players. 

I’ll add there was discussion on the Most Recent 32 Thoughts Podcast about the fact that LA has been having issues developing some prospects. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The last sentence is definitely true, but the circumstances are not entirely different, the Sabres made them different. Choices are always made, and the Sabres made a lot of bad ones. 

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’ll add there was discussion on the Most Recent 32 Thoughts Podcast about the fact that LA has been having issues developing some prospects. 

As have the Sabres. It is still tbd whether or not this has changed.

From Friedman’s 32 Thoughts

Buffalo: Word is the Sabres and Victor Olofsson are making progress on an extension. Craig Anderson is back, but the Sabres continue to examine the goalie market — knowing his workload can’t be too heavy. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is an option, but they’re looking at all external options. You name them, they’ve thought about it. Buffalo’s got a boatload of cap room, but appear inclined to save it for its young core’s eventual extensions. Or, if something really interesting comes along.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:57 AM, PerreaultForever said:

You are making the assumption that the Sabres won't be competitive this upcoming season. Why? There certainly is a void in net right now but it is more likely than not that another goalie will be brought in. In the last third of the season the Sabres were very much so a competitive team. And there is no doubt that the young players currently on the roster such as Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Tage, Cozens, Mitts etc. will improve.  It will be internal improvement more than the added players that will make the Sabres a better team. 

I understand how one can be impatient and skeptical with this organization but I don't understand your level of despair when there is visible evidence that the team will be better. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Buffalo: Word is the Sabres and Victor Olofsson are making progress on an extension. Craig Anderson is back, but the Sabres continue to examine the goalie market — knowing his workload can’t be too heavy. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is an option, but they’re looking at all external options. You name them, they’ve thought about it. Buffalo’s got a boatload of cap room, but appear inclined to save it for its young core’s eventual extensions. Or, if something really interesting comes along.

I said this in a previous post so excuse me for the redundancy but when looking for another goalie option keep your eye out for Washington who is probably going to deal one of their two (Samsonov, Vanecek)  goalies. And the cost should be very manageable. 

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are making the assumption that the Sabres won't be competitive this upcoming season. Why? There certainly is a void in net right now but it is more likely than not that another goalie will be brought in. In the last third of the season the Sabres were very much so a competitive team. And there is no doubt that the young players currently on the roster such as Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Tage, Cozens, Mitts etc. will improve.  It will be internal improvement more than the added players that will make the Sabres a better team. 

I understand how one can be impatient and skeptical with this organization but I don't understand your level of despair when there is visible evidence that the team will be better. 

The definition for "competitive" leaves plenty of room for what that means next season.  Is a 75 point season competitive?  No?  How about 85 points and 10 or more outside the playoffs?  To me, competitive in 2022-23 is challenging for the playoffs and nothing less.  

What is often lost on this board is a sense of urgency.  Taking baby steps toward a better team and being content with not being mediocre is how you stay a bottom third of the NHL quality team.  Besides, with guys like Dahlin and a few others, they need to see this franchise start winning or they'll be looking to leave. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SabresVet said:

The definition for "competitive" leaves plenty of room for what that means next season.  Is a 75 point season competitive?  No?  How about 85 points and 10 or more outside the playoffs?  To me, competitive in 2022-23 is challenging for the playoffs and nothing less.  

What is often lost on this board is a sense of urgency.  Taking baby steps toward a better team and being content with not being mediocre is how you stay a bottom third of the NHL quality team.  Besides, with guys like Dahlin and a few others, they need to see this franchise start winning or they'll be looking to leave. 

Instead of being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in late February…. It will be extended to the last 2 to 3 weeks of the season. You know … competitive. 😂

5 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Well the Sabres played at a 106-point pace in October, March and April. So let's see if that wasn't a mirage.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Contrary to what you are implying I do have a sense of urgency. What I don't want to see is this organization make some short-term decisions that due to impatience that ultimately set this team back. The failed history of the Pegula regime is replete with the organization make decisions that set this franchise back instead of enhancing its future. How has that approach worked out? The Sabres had an inordinate number of injuries last year. And they clearly had inadequate of goaltending. Despite those handicaps there was a clear line of demarcation in improved performance once the injured players returned to play. 

The issue comes down to is how do you get better and get to the point where the team is considered to be a serious team? I strongly believe with some judicious additions this offseason, starting with adding a competent goalie and with the internal improvement of players currently on the roster, this team will be improved and be on the right course. I understand why people are impatient. But the course of action that the GM is taking is the standard course that successful rebuilding teams take. It's the same course that Yzerman is taking in Detroit. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Everything about that is exactly what I want to hear.  Hope it is all true.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I said this in a previous post so excuse me for the redundancy but when looking for another goalie option keep your eye out for Washington who is probably going to deal one of their two (Samsonov, Vanecek)  goalies. And the cost should be very manageable. 

I agree with the Washington goalies but I think that is option C or D.

I believe the pecking order is

Campbell

Quinn

Varlamov

Washington. It is important to note that they could have had Vanacek last year for a 2nd and passed.

Also, I know some hate it, but the “really interesting “ is Patrick Kane. I believe, that there are people in the organization that believe acquiring him would not alter the patient approach and would put people in the arena. Others are pushing back but I’m inching closer to 50/50 than I was when I first started that thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Campbell

Quinn

Varlamov

Washington. It is important to note that they could have had Vanacek last year for a 2nd and passed.

Also, I know some hate it, but the “really interesting “ is Patrick Kane. I believe, that there are people in the organization that believe acquiring him would not alter the patient approach and would put people in the arena. Others are pushing back but I’m inching closer to 50/50 than I was when I first started that thread.

My opinion: If the Sabres deal for one of Washington's goalies, it won't be for a second round pick. Maybe a third or fourth round pick? 

I would be very happy with a Campbell acquisition. The stumbling block is going to be the length of the term more than the annual salary. Marty Biron has opined on a couple of occasions that he didn't believe that Campbell would be an acquisition because of the length of term the player wanted match what the GM wanted to give. 

What you demonstrate in your post is that there are a number of options. I'm just hoping that the GM doesn't get too cute and allow some of the opportunities to pass him by. 

As far as a Kane deal I just don't see it happening. The issue isn't that Buffalo wouldn't want him as much as what would Chicago want in return. 

Edited by JohnC

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My opinion: If the Sabres deal for one of Washington's goalies, it won't be for a second round pick. Maybe a third or fourth round pick? 

I would be very happy with a Campbell acquisition. The stumbling block is going to be the length of the term more than the annual salary. Marty Biron has opined on a couple of occasions that he didn't believe that Campbell would be an acquisition because of the length of term the player wanted match what the GM wanted to give. 

What you demonstrate in your post is that there are a number of options. I'm just hoping that the GM doesn't get too cute and allow some of the opportunities to pass him by. 

As far as a Kane deal I just don't see it happening. The issue isn't that Buffalo wouldn't want him as much as what would Chicago want in return. 

There are options. There are also 8 or 9 teams looking to upgrade their goaltending.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think this is correct. Also, Anderson worked all of the Covid year with Samsonov and Vanecek. Maybe we have some intel on these two.  Though, the Russia situation might negatively impact Washington’s ability to move Samsonov. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There are options. There are also 8 or 9 teams looking to upgrade their goaltending.

As you noted there are a number of teams interested in goalies. That's why I hope that the GM doesn't get too cute and hardnosed in his negotiations for a goalie. We have an abundance of draft assets where we are in a better position to deal than other teams are. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman also mentioned that Vegas might move Laurent Brossoit

The Fourth Period has the Sabres interested in Ville Husso and LW Mason Marchant. But not Campbell. 

I’m going with Tom that they are interested 

Speculation has Campbell getting a longer term (3+) deal at north of $5 million and possibly in the $6 million range. It would be inconsistent with everything Adams has said for them to be in on something like that. Especially when you consider Campbell is far from being a sure thing and we could have cap issues as soon as year 3 of such a deal. 

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman also mentioned that Vegas might move Laurent Brossoit

The Fourth Period has the Sabres interested in Ville Husso and LW Mason Marchant. But not Campbell. 

I’m going with Tom that they are interested 

Buffalo is probably offering 2 year deals to goalies at high prices. Then saying anything longer kills the AAV. 

Perhaps Husso sees merit in a 2x6/7mil contract?

Curious that we are interested in Marchant.

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Buffalo is probably offering 2 year deals to goalies at high prices. Then saying anything longer kills the AAV. 

Perhaps Husso sees merit in a 2x6/7mil contract?

Curious that we are interested in Marchant.

Marchment is the kinda guy they will target. An “analytics find” who had a great year on a team with limited cap space. Question you always have to ask with guys like him and Bunting et al, where their numbers inflated by whom they got to play with and where they played in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Campbell

Quinn

Varlamov

And would be ok w/ them bringing in Kane if they can get him for ballpark what they gave up for Skinner.  But if they have to start giving up real assets for him, would rather they chance him not being available in 1 year.

Hoping they don't land Campbell.  Just something about goalies that spent significant time in TO; they never seem to hold up to scrutiny.  Swapping for their prospects has worked for the B's, but they weren't grabbing guys that had become established.

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And would be ok w/ them bringing in Kane if they can get him for ballpark what they gave up for Skinner.  But if they have to start giving up real assets for him, would rather they chance him not being available in 1 year.

Hoping they don't land Campbell.  Just something about goalies that spent significant time in TO; they never seem to hold up to scrutiny.  Swapping for their prospects has worked for the B's, but they weren't grabbing guys that had become established.

I think Campbell is only number 1 because he would cost no assets. Plus they are putting a premium on character and he gets high marks on that front.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

After an Ullmark-level goalie backstopped a team to the Cup, I think those of us who are clamouring for a clear #1 netminder in the next few seasons are going to be sorely disappointed.  I just don't think GMKA will go out of his way to get a long-term, established #1 unless and until one of Pekka-Lukkonen, Subban, Portillo, or Levi breaks out.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.