Report Vegas Golden Knights Have Hired Bruce Cassidy as Head Coach

Brawndo

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bruins interviewing Quinn. They hire him and maybe start the clock on the Eichel trade to Boston (especially after he gets pissed off when Cassidy benches him for quitting on a back check). They keep talking about getting Hall a center. and they're good buddies now 🙂

I would love it if the Sabres played him six times per year.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Does Bergeron go with cassidy to Vegas? 

I mean, he can GO to Vegas with Cassidy.  They can do some gambling, take in a couple shows, but I don’t see how the Golden Knights have any money to sign Bergeron to play hockey.

I would be very surprised if Bergeron left Boston.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I mean, he can GO to Vegas with Cassidy.  They can do some gambling, take in a couple shows, but I don’t see how the Golden Knights have any money to sign Bergeron to play hockey.

Eichel for Bergeron (E5)

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I would be very surprised if Bergeron left Boston.

There's no chance that Vegas could add Bergeron onto their payroll and stay within the cap (as you noted). I'm sure what Cassidy is hoping for is Jack, Mark Stone and Lehner to return to full health. If Jack, Mark Stone and Lehner do return to form, then Cassidy who was fired from his job and ends up in a good situation coaching a very competitive team. The coaching business is a tough and precarious field of endeavor to be in. Bouncing around is not a lot of fun. But bouncing into good situations makes it a lot more tolerable. 

On 6/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, JohnC said:

There's no chance that Vegas could add Bergeron onto their payroll and stay within the cap (as you noted). I'm sure what Cassidy is hoping for is Jack, Mark Stone and Lehner to return to full health. If Jack, Mark Stone and Lehner do return to form, then Cassidy who was fired from his job and ends up in a good situation coaching a very competitive team. The coaching business is a tough and precarious field of endeavor to be in. Bouncing around is not a lot of fun. But bouncing into good situations makes it a lot more tolerable. 

They have to fit the cap, meaning they lose other players.   Banking on Lehner is not a great plan.  

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They have to fit the cap, meaning they lose other players.   Banking on Lehner is not a great plan.  

When Vegas made the deal for Jack, I'm sure they were aware that in the near future they would lose other players. That's the tough trade-off decision they knew when they were going to make when they decided to bring him in.  Clearly, they felt that his talent warranted the reshuffling of some of their players.

With respect to Lehner: When you add a volatile Lehner type personality to your team, you get the expected complications. If you eat a hot pepper your mouth burns. In other words, you get what you buy. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Oh my Jackie boy is either going to become a whole new person or Vegas will have serious issues.  To quote:

"You’ve got a high-end offensive player that hasn’t won and now he’s got to put the crest first. And I’m not saying he didn’t do that in Buffalo because I don’t know what happened there, but at the end of the day that will be the conversation". –Cassidy on TSN 1200

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh my Jackie boy is either going to become a whole new person or Vegas will have serious issues.  To quote:

"You’ve got a high-end offensive player that hasn’t won and now he’s got to put the crest first. And I’m not saying he didn’t do that in Buffalo because I don’t know what happened there, but at the end of the day that will be the conversation". –Cassidy on TSN 1200

Good luck with that.

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

If Jack is healthy he’s going to have a killer season.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just wondering what we consider a 'killer season' to be next year.

-Lead the team in scoring and they go deep into the playoffs?

-Top 5 in the NHL in scoring (last year would have meant about 110 points)?

-Final 3 for league MVP?

-Top 5 in league for goals (last year would have been about 50 goals)?

If he is healthy, I think career highs in points/scoring should be a given, seeing how scoring has gone up in the past couple years.  But his career best season (2019-2020), he had 1.15 points per game.  Last year in the NHL, that would have put him 24th in the league.  Again, I'm just not sure we know what a 'killer' season can be.

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just wondering what we consider a 'killer season' to be next year.

-Final 3 for league MVP?

If he is healthy, I think career highs in points/scoring should be a given, seeing how scoring has gone up in the past couple years.  But his career best season (2019-2020), he had 1.15 points per game.  Last year in the NHL, that would have put him 24th in the league.  Again, I'm just not sure we know what a 'killer' season can be.

Normally a killer season for Jack is killing his team‘s chance at the playoffs and killing his coach’s chance of still being employed.

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

If Jack is healthy he’s going to have a killer season.

When all is said and done it appears that Jack's decision to not yield on what surgery he should have is the right decision. We won't know for sure until we see how he plays after the offseason and further on, but he was right that his preferred surgery got him back on the ice sooner than if he got the surgery that the Sabres were calling for. 

I have said it before but trading Jack was the right thing to do for the player and the organization. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

-Final 3 for league MVP?

Don't forget, he was playing through injury the last 8 or so games of '19-'20 and he was in his only prolonged slump of that season.  He'd been on pace for ~120 in a full year prior to that.

Should he ever stay healthy for an entire season, he could be up there.  But even in an "Eichel full season" of ~72 games, he could get to 100 points.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.