Goalie dives have got to stop

sweetlou

This BS of goalies diving to get penalty calls is getting out of hand.  I get wanting to protect goalies. If you look at half the cases where a goalie gets hit, the offensive player is getting pushed by the defenseman into the goalie. It's ridiculous how a goalie can be out of the crease and offensive player making a hockey move gets called for a penalty.

Earlier in playoffs it was Smith, now Shesterkin takes a dive and throws himself and stick across the ice.  If you are going toggle Perry a penalty there, (should not have been), then you have to given to Shersterkin for embellishment!!

Totally changed the game.

My take is if goalies leave the crease they are fair game.  You want to open up the game.  Make the goalies think twice about leaving the crease.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

This BS of goalies diving to get penalty calls is getting out of hand.  I get wanting to protect goalies. If you look at half the cases where a goalie gets hit, the offensive player is getting pushed by the defenseman into the goalie. It's ridiculous how a goalie can be out of the crease and offensive player making a hockey move gets called for a penalty.

Earlier in playoffs it was Smith, now Shesterkin takes a dive and throws himself and stick across the ice.  If you are going toggle Perry a penalty there, (should not have been), then you have to given to Shersterkin for embellishment!!

Totally changed the game.

My take is if goalies leave the crease they are fair game.  You want to open up the game.  Make the goalies think twice about leaving the crease.

Once upon a time, goaltenders who played the puck outside the crease *were* fair game.  I don't know when the rule changed.

36 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Once upon a time, goaltenders who played the puck outside the crease *were* fair game.  I don't know when the rule changed.

If the rule book treated wandering goalies outside their crease just like a defenceman, hockey would be much better for it.

• Like (+1) 5

This is the second game in a row Shesterkin reacted like he was shot in the face.  There certainly was contact, but, no worse for wear at the next face off. He’s a Grade A soccer diver. 

I wondered aloud during game two that if he reacts like that to a glance to the head, then he should have to go to the quiet room (concussion observation). That overreaction stuff would dwindle if that were the case. 

• Like (+1) 5

I agree that there is now an element of Euro football in hockey and its not a good element. Perhaps it has always been there and I missed it but it seems pretty prominent this year. The acting is mostly over the top. If there is the slightest doubt the official should call both players. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

If the rule book treated wandering goalies outside their crease just like a defenceman, hockey would be much better for it.

It would return us to goon hockey.... the amount of fights it would cause... did cause would return hockey to the stone age... though agree if a defenseman is on a player's back as he driving toward the net and a goalie is on top of crease then cant be called a penalty... Refs were consistent... called one on Rangers late in the game.

16 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I agree that there is now an element of Euro football in hockey and its not a good element. Perhaps it has always been there and I missed it but it seems pretty prominent this year. The acting is mostly over the top. If there is the slightest doubt the official should call both players. 

Exactly. There's an embellishment penalty for diving, there should be one (enforced) for all the overly dramatic head/neck bobbing, goalies and players. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, nucci said:

every player that gets a high stick embellishes...hands go up, stick goes flying and they drop like they got shot. It's ridiculous

I’ve gotten high sticked twice in ball hockey with no helmet/visor. I wasn’t cut either time…just welts.
But whether it was a learned behavior from watching pros, or just the panic, I did the exact same thing. 

However, goalies and their equipment coverage are a totally different story. 

14 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

It would return us to goon hockey.... the amount of fights it would cause... did cause would return hockey to the stone age... though agree if a defenseman is on a player's back as he driving toward the net and a goalie is on top of crease then cant be called a penalty... Refs were consistent... called one on Rangers late in the game.

Maybe now, but it wasn't then.  If your goalie wandered out of the crease and held onto the puck too long, a regular body check was expected.  I, as a defenceman, was expected to be a "safety valve" to be open and easily accessible to my goalkeeper when he had the puck.  That way, he would not feel the need to hold the puck for long.

The only time a fight broke out is when your goalie got run without the puck or in the crease.  Then all hell broke loose.

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Maybe now, but it wasn't then.  If your goalie wandered out of the crease and held onto the puck too long, a regular body check was expected.  I, as a defenceman, was expected to be a "safety valve" to be open and easily accessible to my goalkeeper when he had the puck.  That way, he would not feel the need to hold the puck for long.

The only time a fight broke out is when your goalie got run without the puck or in the crease.  Then all hell broke loose.

I dont know man... anytime anyone gets to close to the crease in our league a cross check is coming and a face wash for starters..   PS i have played every position except goalie.

Edited by North Buffalo

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I dont know man... anytime anyone gets to close to the crease in our league a cross check is coming and a face wash for starters..   PS i have played every position except goalie.

My experience with the goalkeeper getting checked is 50 years old, so it is definitely out of date.

14 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’ve gotten high sticked twice in ball hockey with no helmet/visor. I wasn’t cut either time…just welts.
But whether it was a learned behavior from watching pros, or just the panic, I did the exact same thing. 

However, goalies and their equipment coverage are a totally different story. 

I took a racquetball to the forehead one day and it apparently looked like I'd been shot with the way I spun around trying to get out the way. I think it's mostly instinct; *****-sapiens who didn't react to getting hit in the face got naturally-deselected.

Edited by MattPie
***** is a naughy word, apparently
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.