Soccer Fan…Yea or Nay?

LabattBlue

Soccer  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a soccer fan?

• Love it. Can’t get enough of it. Must see TV.
    • Casual fan. Will watch the higher profile events.
    • I’d rather stare at a wall and watch paint dry.

I’m somewhere between casual fan and watching paint dry.

There are too many teams and leagues for me to even know what a higher profile event might be, but if I’m flippin channels and it’s on, I’ll watch a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

We have a football club here @LabattBlue.  I'm not only a member of that club, but also the President (or something).

Anyway, I invite you take a look at the club.  You may find some interesting discussions there, but also a lot of ranting about our most loved or hated sides around the world.

I don't think that one can casually approach the game.  You have to imserse yourself and learn some of the stategies of the game in order to appreciate it better, as @SDS said.

Is anyone else disappointed that NS is not the president of a soccer club in NS?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Not enough action, No fast enough, or physical enough to keep my interest.

Most games are too low scoring.

But I did not grow up playing it, or having it be of interest to me as a kid. 

Basically Hockey is soccer on ice IMO, but ticks all the boxes of being fast, physical, with more scoring.

Edited by ddaryl

16 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sometimes I’m tempted to say, in response to people saying the sport is boring, that “4 billion people can’t be wrong.”

But then I realize that the second most popular sport globally is cricket. And that sport funking blows.

So, whatever. To each their own.

Paging @Eleven to the cricket bashing post ...

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is anyone else disappointed that NS is not the president of a soccer club in NS?

Halifax Wanderers !!

MUST WIN!!

GO WANDERERS!!

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

To each their own.

It’s the greatest sport in the world, IMO. One thing I love so dearly about it is how people of all shapes and sizes can be excellent at it.

Oh, and up the fuc*king Reds. #YNWA

Fantastic post, right up to the last line.  I do like the singing and message of *you'll never walk alone*.   That said, I hate the Reds Devils, but the Reds are only slightly better.  Sorry.

9 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Fantastic post, right up to the last line.  I do like the singing and message of *you'll never walk alone*.   That said, I hate the Reds Devils, but the Reds are only slightly better.  Sorry.

Ha. No worries.

YNWA is, hands down, full stop, the greatest song associated with a pro sports team. Nothing touches it. To me, there's something moving and significant about the fact that the song isn't from the band that Liverpool is most famous for exporting -- rather, it's from a band (Gerry & The Pacemakers) that was in the same scene as The Beatles but did not ascend to international superstardom like The Beatles did. But for those who are from, or of, Liverpool, it's Gerry's anthem of love and solidarity that is the song to sing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sometimes I’m tempted to say, in response to people saying the sport is boring, that “4 billion people can’t be wrong.”

But then I realize that the second most popular sport globally is cricket. And that sport funking blows.

its easier to play soccer in a poor country then it is to play hockey in poor country, or any sport that requires a lot of equipment to play. Hence the world's infatuation with Soccer. It's more accessible

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

its easier to play soccer in a poor country then it is to play hockey in poor country, or any sport that requires a lot of equipment to play. Hence the world's infatuation with Soccer. It's more accessible

very true. pele' became the best in the world after training with a wrapped ball of rags in the slums of brazil.

this is why basketball, at times, seems destined to become the planet's sport. very accessible.

and is it true that "hockey" (aka field hockey) has more fans and participants than ice hockey? i could look it up, i suppose.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha. No worries.

YNWA is, hands down, full stop, the greatest song associated with a pro sports team. Nothing touches it. To me, there's something moving and significant about the fact that the song isn't from the band that Liverpool is most famous for exporting -- rather, it's from a band (Gerry & The Pacemakers) that was in the same scene as The Beatles but did not ascend to international superstardom like The Beatles did. But for those who are from, or of, Liverpool, it's Gerry's anthem of love and solidarity that is the song to sing. 

TIL that that song isn't originally some English version of a Broadway show tune or a random pub singalong that was adopted by the team and also that it's Gerry & the Pacemakers and NOT Gary & the Pacemakers.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha. No worries.

Fantastic!!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

might not be any games for me to watch anyway. Team Canada's in some sort of dispute over money and is refusing to play games. No idea on the details or who is right or wrong but it seems soccer has lots of governing bodies and behind the scenes organizations. It's clearly big business, and I think kind of corrupt. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

might not be any games for me to watch anyway. Team Canada's in some sort of dispute over money and is refusing to play games. No idea on the details or who is right or wrong but it seems soccer has lots of governing bodies and behind the scenes organizations. It's clearly big business, and I think kind of corrupt. 

Kind of corrupt ??

Dude !!  FIFA is more corrupt than the original Mafia from Sicilia.  Never mind the modern ganster wanna bes.

The most corrupt organization in the world.  Look at the awarding of the World Cup to the terrible human rights record of Qatar.  Openly using slave labour to build the facilities.

The players are in a work to rule situation with Soccer Canada about pay.  

It's another corrupt story where there was huge backlash against a Friendly Match scheduled against Iran.  It was eventually cancelled and the National Mens side will now play ??? (I forget who).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

TIL that that song isn't originally some English version of a Broadway show tune or a random pub singalong that was adopted by the team and also that it's Gerry & the Pacemakers and NOT Gary & the Pacemakers.

It was the era of the Merseyside Beat!!

I'd consider myself a casual fan.  I have played for a pretty long time and actually still play in a men's league.  With that being said, there's not much soccer that gets me excited.  I enjoy watching the world cup, will occasionally watch the games like the UEFA champions league finals etc, and infrequently watch the USMNT.  The EPL and all the other leagues like that (la liga, bundesliga, etc) are just too much and it is somewhat hard to follow from the US.

9 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

It's another corrupt story where there was huge backlash against a Friendly Match scheduled against Iran.  It was eventually cancelled and the National Mens side will now play ??? (I forget who).

They were supposed to play Panama but instead but the match was cancelled at the last minute. They were selling tickets right up to game time and then they just cancelled it. Many pissed off fans in Vancouver. 

On 6/5/2022 at 6:18 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Dude.  Cricket is awesome.

• Like (+1) 2

Played soccer as my main sport throughout my entire childhood, including camps, travel leagues and varsity in high school.  Enjoyed playing it, but can't watch it.  To me, there's a sweet spot in sports for scoring.  Basketball is too high - most scores mean very little to the end result; soccer is too low - it doesn't happen enough to keep things interesting.  Hockey, lacrosse and football (US) are all in better spots within the range.  Strategy and build-up are fine, but they need to produce results more than once or twice per game.  Indoor soccer is arguably more enjoyable.

And I've never heard YNWA, but it is very fitting for soccer ... slow and boring. 😋

21 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Kind of corrupt ??

Dude !!  FIFA is more corrupt than the original Mafia from Sicilia.  Never mind the modern ganster wanna bes.

The most corrupt organization in the world.  Look at the awarding of the World Cup to the terrible human rights record of Qatar.  Openly using slave labour to build the facilities.

The players are in a work to rule situation with Soccer Canada about pay.  

Seconded.  FIFA and the IOC are on their own level of soulless corruption.  I hate them for contaminating sports I love.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, That Aud Smell said:

very true. pele' became the best in the world after training with a wrapped ball of rags in the slums of brazil.

this is why basketball, at times, seems destined to become the planet's sport. very accessible.

and is it true that "hockey" (aka field hockey) has more fans and participants than ice hockey? i could look it up, i suppose.

Agreed on basketball.  Any low cost sport has a chance to go global.  Field hockey.  Baseball.  Handball.  And so on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.