Soccer Fan…Yea or Nay?

LabattBlue

Soccer  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a soccer fan?

• Love it. Can’t get enough of it. Must see TV.
    • Casual fan. Will watch the higher profile events.
    • I’d rather stare at a wall and watch paint dry.

We have a football club here @LabattBlue.  I'm not only a member of that club, but also the President (or something).

Anyway, I invite you take a look at the club.  You may find some interesting discussions there, but also a lot of ranting about our most loved or hated sides around the world.

I don't think that one can casually approach the game.  You have to imserse yourself and learn some of the stategies of the game in order to appreciate it better, as @SDS said.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a diehard fan of my local team (Greenock Morton) from the age of 6 onwards. But even in the 2nd tier of scottish football its too expensive, especially as the product is getting worse. 

At the time I was losing interest my mate took me to a hockey game. And there ended my interest in football.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I played soccer for many years… I can’t stand watching it on TV.

I played many sports growing up and in high school… I can’t stand watching most of them on TV 😂

I got that way about baseball.  The 1994 strike and the move of the Expos killed my interest in MLB.

I still go to Bisons games.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Soccer is like overtime in the NHL. A whole lot of playing keep away with brief and rare moments of excitement. 

Ted Lasso is a good show though.

Then you are not watching the game properly, IMO.

There are periods of slow build up, but the stamina of the players is the most amazing piece.

If you want excitment watch a highlight film of Ibrahimovic.  Probably the best pure goal scorer in the history of football.

12 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Then you are not watching the game properly, IMO.

There are periods of slow build up, but the stamina of the players is the most amazing piece.

If you want excitment watch a highlight film of Ibrahimovic.  Probably the best pure goal scorer in the history of football.

I’m not arguing the athleticism and stamina. Definitely talented people. Just boring to me.

• Like (+1) 2

Sometimes I’m tempted to say, in response to people saying the sport is boring, that “4 billion people can’t be wrong.”

But then I realize that the second most popular sport globally is cricket. And that sport funking blows.

So, whatever. To each their own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

If you grew up watching it, you probably like it. If not, the action is slow.

Same goes for baseball. I'd bet the Euros have the same opinion on it as we do soccer. We North Americans that grew up with it can follow all the games within the game and enjoy for what it is despite the generally slow pace.

That said, it's tough not to feel excited by a World Cup game or a playoff baseball game even if you're not a big fan of either sport.

But with hockey, I've yet to hear anyone not like it (unless they're put off by the violence).

If everywhere in the world had ice and could afford skates, it would be the world #1 sport because it's just that good.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Better than watching baseball or golf (how can anyone watch golf???) but I only watch the big world cup type events where the crowd and spectacle of it all make it better. Not a lot though. Kind of wild that Canada made the World Cup so will have to watch that until they lose out at least. 

Would not watch Qatar then, so far only 10% interest among fans of going in Belgium, would think it will not be better in other European countries

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.