Sabres Sign Isak Rosen to His ELC

Brawndo

10 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm just P.O.'d they took him where they did, mainly just based on the U18s. If they wanted to take a high risk - high reward player, I wish they would have did some homework on a CHL kid that didn't play due to the lockdown. 

I bet they did, they took Bloom in the 3rd, as one of the chl players who didn’t play, and he’s been performing well. My guess is they did their homework and liked Rosen better. We’re quite a few years away from being able to tell if that was a mistake or not.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Mr. Rosen will be surprised by the NA game if he thinks he's going to waltz in and secure a roster spot in the NHL.  It would be awesome if he proved me wrong.

I did not get the impression from the tweet that Rosen expects to do waltz into an NHL spot.  I didn’t interpret it as anything approaching arrogance.

He is going to camp, and the best players from camp make the Sabres.  That’s what he is competing for.

Also, this isn’t even anything that Rosen himself or his representatives said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Utah said:

Do you really believe that? Rosen is not even in close proximity to those three. Sorry

You can't be serious.

• Rosen may have been stapled to the bench, but he actually made an SHL team and stayed there for the majority of the season. He also got 2 points in the Swedish minors before getting hurt in his 3rd game.
  • Kisakov got called up to the KHL for 4 games, failed to produce a point.
  • Bloom and Nadeau have yet to play a game of men's hockey

• Rosen led Sweden in the U18 worlds with 7 goals in 7 games. He also made the Swedish WJC team for this year's abbreviated tourney.
  • Kisakov made the Russian U18 team 2 years ago and had 5 points in 4 games. He has yet to play for them at the U20 level
  • Bloom and Nadeau have not played for Team Canada at the U18 or U20 levels

• Rosen had 9 points in 8 Swedish junior league games this year
  • Kisakov put up 56 points in 51 games in the Russian junior league this year.
  • Bloom had 61 points in 67 CHL junior games this year and Nadeau had 78 in 65

if anything he's ahead of them.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You can't be serious.

• Rosen may have been stapled to the bench, but he actually made an SHL team and stayed there for the majority of the season. He also got 2 points in the Swedish minors before getting hurt in his 3rd game.

• Rosen led Sweden in the U18 worlds with 7 goals in 7 games. He also made the Swedish WJC team for this year's abbreviated tourney.
  • Kisakov made the Russian U18 team 2 years ago and had 5 points in 4 games. He has yet to play for them at the U20 level

I don't think the Swedish Jr League is as good as the CHL, so I'd want to see him get more points than his much lower drafted CHL counterparts.

More importantly, I'd also want to see him well ahead of William Von Barnekow in ppg, who was taken in the 6th round by the team. Unfortunately, he was behind WVB... Not ahead of him.

I'd also want him to not be virtually invisible in the World U20s this year. 

Also, I'd like to see how much weight he put on in the last year to see how serious he is about playing NHL hockey. The initial link from SabresPR at @Brawndo posted has him listed at 159lb. Hopefully that's incorrect, because his draft profile from last year has him listed at 161. https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-profile-isak-rosen/

Edited by JoeSchmoe

42 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I don't think the Swedish Jr League is as good as the CHL, so I'd want to see him get more points than his much lower drafted CHL counterparts.

More importantly, I'd also want to see him well ahead of William Von Barnekow in ppg, who was taken in the 6th round by the team. Unfortunately, he was behind WVB... Not ahead of him.

I'd also want him to not be virtually invisible in the World U20s this year. 

Also, I'd like to see how much weight he put on in the last year to see how serious he is about playing NHL hockey. The initial link from SabresPR at @Brawndo posted has him listed at 159lb. Hopefully that's incorrect, because his draft profile from last year has him listed at 161. https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-profile-isak-rosen/

I don’t think your assumption that the OHL or QMJHL is better than the Swedish junior league is an accurate one.  Also, scoring rate in the Swedish leagues is less than in the CHL.  

Those other players were not “virtually” invisible at the WJC.  They were actually invisible, because they were not even invited to be there.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

That's William von Barnekow-Løfberg. 😇 The man needs his Løfberg.

Looking at the 2021-22 numbers at J20:

Rosen had 9 pts/8 games 1.125 ppg. WVB-L had 31 pts/27 gp for 1.148 ppg. The difference would be Rosen scoring 9.2 points in those 8 games. That's negligible in the sample size. For their entire J20 careers, Rosen has 0.98 ppg (58 gp) to WVB-L's 0.92 (60 gp).

In the SHL in 2021-22, Rosen had 4 points in 28 games; WVB-L had 0 points in 27 games. Neither of them are getting meaningful minutes or linemates.

I'd spin it around and say, it's pretty cool that William von Barnekow-Løfberg is performing as well as a 1st. He could be a diamond in the Løfberg.

• Like (+1) 1

Kozak had a great year and has leap-frogged ahead of many players. As he isn't the biggest kid at about 5'10 or 5"11 and under 170 he falls in the "basic" size area. My guess is that Kozak is offered a contract after his overage year in the WHL unless he blows people away at rookie camp. I expect he will be part of the go forward strategy for Sabres

As per Rosen, to be fair he didn't get much playing time on ice in SHL. Having said that, he didn't do too much with it only putting up 4 points in 28 games in 2021/2022 and 1 point in 22 games in 2020/2021.......so a total of 5 points over 50 games does not make me feel great about his performance.

Do you think playing in the AHL will be any easier?  Not a chance......guys in their late 20s early 30s, Dmen all over 6"0 and 190-200 pounds......a level of aggressive well beyond ANY level of Swedish hockey he has ever played.  Add to it the small ice and it becomes a scary equation.

I'm all in on the Sabres but I don't see any favorable scenario at this point in time for Rosen on this side of the pond. I truly hope I am wrong as I'd love this kid to succeed. I'm voting for him but until he matures and puts on some size I would leave him in Sweden.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how Rosen looks at camp.  It would be great if he shows up able to impress and then play (or dare I say earn a spot) for Rochester.  But if he's not ready he will (we will) at least get a strong indication of how he stacks up and where he needs to improve (strength most likely as so many have indicated).  The good news to me is that the Sabres now seem to be getting a stronger say in his development which is great.  I still have high hopes for him.    

23 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Well we know he won't make the Sabres, so the question becomes does he get loaned to Rochester. 

If Rosen is smart, he comes to Buffalo as early as possible to get into the facility and start strength training.

• Like (+1) 4

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

You can't be serious.

^  Thank you. 

I don’t get the attitude towards him that some here have.  He comes to camp and he tries out.  We should want that of a 19 year old former first rounder.  It’s pretty obvious he is still young and he needs to get stronger but what is wrong with seeing what he can do?  It’s a good way to support his development.  

If he can’t make the team, then I hope he goes to Rochester and starts working with Appert and Peca.  The Amerks need to replace Quinn and Peterka, both are likely to make the jump.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

^  Thank you. 

I don’t get the attitude towards him that some here have.  He comes to camp and he tries out.  We should want that of a 19 year old former first rounder.  It’s pretty obvious he is still young and he needs to get stronger but what is wrong with seeing what he can do?  It’s a good way to support his development.  

If he can’t make the team, then I hope he goes to Rochester and starts working with Appert and Peca.  The Amerks need to replace Quinn and Peterka, both are likely to make the jump.  

Even if they realize they're not making the team, I want every single prospect in camp playing like they want the job.  And personally, I'd much rather have a kid who needs to adapt to the North American game doing it as soon as possible.  I hope he realizes this and stays with the Amerks.  It can't be an easy decision at his age.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, shrader said:

Even if they realize they're not making the team, I want every single prospect in camp playing like they want the job.  And personally, I'd much rather have a kid who needs to adapt to the North American game doing it as soon as possible.  I hope he realizes this and stays with the Amerks.  It can't be an easy decision at his age.

I’ll never understand those who want these guys to go back to Europe. It’s not that those leagues are bad, but the Sabres have little control over it, and it’s a very different style. Last summer some people wanted Peterka to go back to Germany. How much better did it work out?

Sabres need to get these prospects to NA as soon as they can in almost all circumstances. They should be learning the Sabres systems, adjusting to the NA game, and working with Sabres coaches. 

It’s easy to understand why a 20 year old kid would want to go back home, but the Sabres need to lay out why it’s better for them to stay. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I worry the kid will struggle badly in Roch. It'd be tough to watch as a fan of the team, and could hurt his development. 

I don't know the logistics, but it'd be good if he could do a year in the CHL as a first intro to the North American game. There he could hopefully put on some size, then go to Roch the following season, where he'll still potentially struggle.

Everyone is caught up in how big the kid is. With a pretty thorough search the latest up dates are coming in from a year ago at 5'11" and 163 lbs.  Height is of absolutely no concern. A bit slight of a build for a 19 year old but that has a higher probability to be from his 18 year old self. 

Can we get him to training camp and get a look see before we beat this dead horse some more?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’ll never understand those who want these guys to go back to Europe. It’s not that those leagues are bad, but the Sabres have little control over it, and it’s a very different style. Last summer some people wanted Peterka to go back to Germany. How much better did it work out?

Sabres need to get these prospects to NA as soon as they can in almost all circumstances. They should be learning the Sabres systems, adjusting to the NA game, and working with Sabres coaches. 

It’s easy to understand why a 20 year old kid would want to go back home, but the Sabres need to lay out why it’s better for them to stay. 

I tend to agree with you, but we have seen it work both ways.  VO stayed in Europe and developed just fine.  JJP came here and blew up (in a good way).  The jury is still out on whether it made any difference for Pekar or UPL. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

My guess is that the way he was handled last season didn’t sit well with him. He may realize he’ll be in a better place if he is playing closer to his ultimate goal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.