2022 NHL Draft Combine: May 30th-June 4th, Buffalo NY

LGR4GM

"The NHL Scouting Combine will be held at KeyBank Center and HarborCenter in Buffalo from May 30 to June 4 after being canceled in 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to NHL.com, 96 prospects (63 forwards, 30 defensemen and three goaltenders) were invited to participate in the showcase event, which allows teams to collect valuable physical and medical assessment information and conduct one-on-one interviews."

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/nhl-scouting-combine-starts-monday/c-334329328

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• LGR4GM changed the title to 2022 NHL Draft Combine: May 30th-June 4th, Buffalo NY

How much do you think the combine results affect a player's actual draft position?  Perhaps the testing just helps identify any unknown weakness or maybe gives an even comparison between prospects?  The interviews (in person) are the biggest benefit I would think.  I just wonder about how important the combine is after it was cancelled for the last two seasons.

As a fan I do enjoy the story lines and extra info that comes from the NHL Daft Combine though.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Digger said:

How much do you think the combine results affect a player's actual draft position?  Perhaps the testing just helps identify any unknown weakness or maybe gives an even comparison between prospects?  The interviews (in person) are the biggest benefit I would think.  I just wonder about how important the combine is after it was cancelled for the last two seasons.

As a fan I do enjoy the story lines and extra info that comes from the NHL Daft Combine though.

Interviews and heights/weights.  Sometimes you want to know if that guy listed as 5’10” is 5’10.25” or actually 5’8.75”, and you can see who has put on weight.

The tests have some use in that you might get a glimpse of how close a guy is to being ready to play against men, but it definitely can be over rated.

• Like (+1) 2

Does the combine really matter?

Two names come to mind - Casey Mittelstadt and Brendan Guhle.  Guhle was a combine darling and is a AAAA D.  Maybe he’ll get to 100 games in his career, maybe.  Mitts was the butt end of many jokes, yet he looks like he is on the verge of becoming a star player, assuming he can stay healthy.  The only take away I can see if that Mitts’ level of fitness should have forced the Sabres to get him on a fitness program asap, but that’s about it.  

Since size is becoming less of an issue in the modern NHL, are even the measurements all that important?

The message to me is focus on the on ice performance and the interviews and worry less about the physical measurables.   

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know if it's the numbers so much as a chance to see and interact with the kids in person and see whether that affects your perceptions: who's a boy and who's a man physically, how does he approach the physical and mental challenges presented, how does he carry himself and interact with others?

Basically it makes the information gathering process more efficient.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Two names come to mind - Casey Mittelstadt and Brendan Guhle.  Guhle was a combine darling and is a AAAA D.  Maybe he’ll get to 100 games in his career, maybe.  Mitts was the butt end of many jokes, yet he looks like he is on the verge of becoming a star player, assuming he can stay healthy.  The only take away I can see if that Mitts’ level of fitness should have forced the Sabres to get him on a fitness program asap, but that’s about it.  

Since size is becoming less of an issue in the modern NHL, are even the measurements all that important?

The message to me is focus on the on ice performance and the interviews and worry less about the physical measurables.   

You are focused on the testing. It is the interview process that is much more meaningful. 

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

You are focused on the testing. It is the interview process that is much more meaningful. 

That, and the additional benefit of these kids seeing Buffalo when the weather's great & they learn there's more to the city than just a really ugly trip from the airport to a dingy hotel.

That latter part hasn't mattered yet because the team has been such a train wreck but it could pay dividends down the road.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Casey hurt his progress by only playing one year of college. He would have benefited from a couple more years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.