Forwards Next Season

GASabresIUFAN

Sabres leading forward scorer next season?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which forward will have the most points next season

• Thompson
    • Skinner
    • Tuch
    • Mittelstadt
    • Olofsson
    • Okposo
    • Quinn
    • Krebs
    • Peterka
    • Cozens
    • Player not yet on roster
  2. 2. Who will lead the Sabres in Goals

• Skinner
    • Thompson
    • Olofsson
    • Okposo
    • Mittelstadt
    • Quinn
    • Cozens
    • Tuch
    • Peterka
    • Player not yet on roster

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We’ve had this conversation before; teams don’t get through a season with 13 or 14 forwards. Hell, they rarely start a season that way.

Players are always hurt. You plan for that. Last year the Sabres used 22 forwards.

Nobody is going to be sent packing.

I think they will. But they will acquire or re-sign some players for depth.

I agree 10 guys are returning and have jobs for sure. Peterka and Quinn should get the slots that belonged to Bjork and Hinostroza.

Krebs essentially replaced Caggiula, but that still leaves the Eakin and Hayden NHL spots, as well as the R2 and Jankowski call-up spots.

R2 and Bjork will certainly be in the mix there, but they will sign at least 2 more forwards

Why on earth would we bring back either Hayden or Eakin, much less both.  We can find better players at the 7-11 on Millersport Hwy.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why on earth would we bring back either Hayden or Eakin, much less both.  We can find better players at the 7-11 on Millersport Hwy.

No idea.  Nor any idea why you think @dudacek expects them to do that either.

He's saying their 2 roster spots are open for the taking, not that they'll refill them.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Where?

I remember him repeated wanting to re-sign Caggiula in the off-season gameplan 2022 thread.  

and this is from the 40.3 mil cap space thread.

Sign a handful of waivable vet tweeners for depth to replace Tokarski, Subban, Hayden, Butcher, Pysyk and Caggiula (or just re-sign them if they are willing to take a chance on Rochester.)

None of these JAGs should return to the organization period, not even if they are willing to go to Rochester.  They are awful.

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I remember him repeated wanting to re-sign Caggiula in the off-season gameplan 2022 thread.  

None of these JAGs should return to the organization period, not even if they are willing to go to Rochester.  They are awful.

I'd take Malcolm Subban for Rochester and Pysyk for Rochester

I remember reading that somewhere too about bringing back some of those "jags" but I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Likely just means he will consider the ones who he felt contributed (possibly in terms of work ethic and character and not necessarily on the ice) if they are cheap, available, and we need more depth.

Since I'm watching Cozens looking very good at wing in the worlds maybe next year's lines look like:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Asplund-Mittlestadt-Olofsson

Peterka-Krebs-Cozens

Girgensens-Okposo plus one more FA or re-sign. Grit and/or PK guy.

(Quinn starts in Rochester)

48 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What I actually said was that I would not be surprised at all if they re-sign Caggiula. I also would not be surprised if they re-sign Hinostroza, Pysyk, Subban or Hayden. That’s because I think the organization likes these guys as people and teammates.

And I have no problem with them signing any of these guys to risk on waivers, sit in the press box or be emergency call-ups. That’s the type of role they’re suited for. (Well, Vinnie is an actual  NHL player, but I digress.)

That’s not the same as me wanting to sign them, or pencilling them in to the starting lineup.

And it really has nothing to do with the post you originally responded to, or how you responded.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

What I actually said was that I would not be surprised at all if they re-sign Caggiula. I also would not be surprised if they re-sign Hinostroza, Pysyk, Subban or Hayden. That’s because I think the organization likes these guys as people and teammates.

And I have no problem with them signing any of these guys to risk on waivers, sit in the press box or be emergency call-ups. That’s the type of role they’re suited for. (Well, Vinnie is an actual  NHL player, but I digress.)

That’s not the same as me wanting to sign them, or pencilling them in to the starting lineup.

And it really has nothing to do with the post you originally responded to, or how you responded.

Actually you posted the following in the offseason gameplan thread

What I’d do:

Acquire the best goalie I can on a 3-year term or less, for Florida’s 1st or less

Acquire a legit defensively strong 2nd pair RHD for Victor Olofsson

Re-sign Hinostroza, Pysyk, Caggiula

My response remains there is no room on this roster anymore for guys like Eakin, Caggiula, Hayden or Bjork.  The slots they occupied are thankfully occupied by Krebs, Tuch, JJP and Quinn.  If they want to re-sign Vinnie, I'm all for it because he is a real NHL player.  The others aren't.  If Vinnie goes elsewhere, then R2 should get the 13th slot. 

I wouldn't even sign any of them with an eye toward Rochester.  All of them have proven that they really can't help the team even in an emergency situation.  I'd much rather see R2, Murray, or Biro in the callup role.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually you posted the following in the offseason gameplan thread

My response remains there is no room on this roster anymore for guys like Eakin, Caggiula, Hayden or Bjork.  The slots they occupied are thankfully occupied by Krebs, Tuch, JJP and Quinn.  If they want to re-sign Vinnie, I'm all for it because he is a real NHL player.  The others aren't.  If Vinnie goes elsewhere, then R2 should get the 13th slot. 

I wouldn't even sign any of them with an eye toward Rochester.  All of them have proven that they really can't help the team even in an emergency situation.  I'd much rather see R2, Murray, or Biro in the callup role.

Well there’s a gotcha moment. 😄 No memory of posting that, although, as I said above, I am perfectly fine with the team re-signing any of those guys for depth.

Still think it’s weird that you reacted to my initial post by bashing Eakin and Hayden. Still think your roster math is wrong.

As far as the bold goes, if you mean “in the starting 12” I agree with you. If you mean “among our 50 contracts” I think that’s shortsighted.

Regardless of whether it’s Hinostroza and Caggiula, or 2 players from elsewhere, we are going to need to sign at least two players of that nature to supplement the returning 10, Peterka Quinn, R2 and Bjork.

Edited by dudacek

I think most people are comfortable with Hinostroza simply because as a bottom 6 guys he has produced. 13 goals last year for the Sabres in 62 games (16 goal pace).  17 goals in his last 79 games over 2 years.  A few years ago with Arizona another 16 goal season in less than a full year.  3rd on the Sabres last year in even strength goals per 60 (only behind Thompson and Skinner).

The Sabres haven't exactly had a wealth of players in the past decade that you think you could count on to get in double digits in goals on your bottom 2 lines.  Vinny fits that description.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Well there’s a gotcha moment. 😄 No memory of posting that, although, as I said above, I am perfectly fine with the team re-signing any of those guys for depth.

Still think it’s weird that you reacted to my initial post by bashing Eakin and Hayden. Still think your roster math is wrong.

As far as the bold goes, if you mean “in the starting 12” I agree with you. If you mean “among our 50 contracts” I think that’s shortsighted.

Regardless of whether it’s Hinostroza and Caggiula, or 2 players from elsewhere, we are going to need to sign at least two players of that nature to supplement the returning 10, Peterka Quinn, R2 and Bjork.

The Sabres, because of injury and trades, played 14 forwards 40 games or more.  Another 4 player 18/19 games and another 4 played 1/2.  

The top 15 are already under contract or control

NHL (10) Tuch, Thompson, KO, Mitts, Cozens, Girgensons, Skinner, Krebs, Asplund and Bjork.

ELC (2) Quinn and JJP

RFAs: (3) VO, R2 and Murray.

Add Vinnie to the mix and your at 16.  (Although Vinnie would be above Bjork, R2, and Murray on the NHL depth chart)

I’m also pretty sure that management believes Biro can contribute if necessary.  From a depth standpoint, he sits 16 or 17 depending on signing Vinnie. 

How much depth do you anticipate?  Could KA sign a few guys with NHL experience for Rochester. Of course he will.  Guys like McGinnis, Jankowski etc are always added.  However, this thread is about the Sabres forward group next season; no JAGs allowed anymore.   No more guys like Hayden who scored 4 pts in 55 games or Bjork’s 8 in 58 or Eakin’s 12 in 69 games.  We’ve moved past that point in the teams development. 

If KA wants to do more with the forward group then re-sign his RFAs, the one type of player I’d look to acquire is an experienced center who can put up 35-45 points and kill penalties. Someone who could play up in a pinch.  Someone who Eakin was supposed to be but wasn’t.  I’ve given Lars Eller as an example before, but Copp is an upgrade over that as well.  However, given KA’s statements and the contracted players, I think even this kind of move is unlikely.  

I’ll give you a scenario where KA will be “forced” to acquire a forward(s). Vinnie signs elsewhere, R2 goes back to Europe and Bjork gets sent to Rochester.  That would possibly open 2 NHL roster spots if we carry 14 forwards. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres, because or injury and trades, played 14 forwards 40 games or more.  Another 4 player 18/19 games and another 4 played 1/2.  

The top 15 are already under contract or control

NHL (10) Tuch, Thompson, KO, Mitts, Cozens, Girgensons, Skinner, Krebs, Asplund and Bjork.

ELC (2) Quinn and JJP

RFAs: (3) VO, R2 and Murray.

Add Vinnie to the mix and your at 16.  

I’m also pretty sure that management believes Biro can contribute if necessary.  From a depth standpoint, he sits 16 or 17 depending on signing Vinnie. 

How much depth do you anticipate?  Could KA sign a few guys with NHL experience for Rochester. Of course he will.  Guys like McGinnis, Jankowski etc are always added.  However, this thread is about the Sabres forward group next season; no JAGs allowed anymore.   No more guys like Hayden who scored 4 pts in 55 games or Bjork’s 8 in 58 or Eakin’s 12 in 69 games.  We’ve moved past that point in the teams development. 

If KA wants to do more with the forward group then re-sign his RFAs, the one type of player I’d look to acquire is an experienced center who can put up 35-45 points and kill penalties. Someone who could play up in a pinch.  Someone who Eakin was supposed to be but wasn’t.  I’ve given Lars Eller as an example before, but Copp is an upgrade over that as well.  However, given KA’s statements and the contracted players, I think even this kind of move is unlikely.  

I want enough depth Bjork sent down to Rochester, if someone claims him, no sweat off my back. I would be alright with re-signing Hinostroza, but would prefer a Copp, Burkakovsky type high end middle sixer.

Jeff Marek was speaking about Copp’s Next Contract on 32 Thoughts next year, the prevailing thought (Copp’s Agent) is that He has played well enough to earn a contract similar to Hyman (7 years 5.5 Million AAV) or Danault (6 years 5.5 Million AAV). 

Evolving Hockey has

Copp at   4 years 5.8 AAV 

Burakovsky at 7 years 6.9 AAV

Trocheck 4 years 5.9 AAV 

Kadri 7 years 8.5 AAV (Great Player but He’s already 31) 

I will admit if PLD goes on the trade block, I would be intrigued depending on cost of course. 

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He did not say that he is bring either back.

He clearly (at least by my reading) that they wil lbe bringing in two more forwards to compete for those jobs.

• Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jeff Marek was speaking about Copp’s Next Contract on 32 Thoughts next year, the prevailing thought (Copp’s Agent) is that He has played well enough to earn a contract similar to Hyman (7 years 5.5 Million AAV) or Danault (6 years 5.5 Million AAV). 

Evolving Hockey has

Copp at   4 years 5.8 AAV 

Burakovsky at 7 years 6.9 AAV

Trocheck 4 years 5.9 AAV 

Kadri 7 years 8.5 AAV (Great Player but He’s already 31) 

I will admit if PLD goes on the trade block, I would be intrigued depending on cost of course. 

Buffalo finally cleaned the looker room and you want another cancer? 

Edited by Buffalonill

1 hour ago, freester said:

What would it cost to acquire PLD and what is the contract?

He is a Rfa and will likely cost something in the neighborhood of 7-8.5 million per season. In terms of cost… pretty tough to say. My guess would be something along the lines of mitts, Johnson, the Vegas pick and maybe Portillo. (Similar pieces amount to the Eichel trade but likely lower quality) 

I don’t think I would want to give up what it would take to get him, as it would probably take one of our young Centers++. Either that or 9OA+.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Why is Dubois a cancer?

I wouldn’t go that far but I do feel he’s not exactly the greatest team player. His whole stunt before his trade in CBJ raised many red flags for me. If your feuding with the coach, fine, but don’t dog it and hurt your teammates in an effort to make a point.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/27/2022 at 1:42 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think I started this thread previously, but there seems to be considerable debate in other threads about who to bring back and whether the kids (JJP and Quinn) are ready and does R2 still have a chance.

A couple of things have "changed already since the end of the season.  Asplund became Sweden's best goal scoring thread at the Worlds.  R2 and JPP were awesome in the Amerks' playoff run while Quinn disappeared for reasons unknown.  Krebs was also very solid for the Amerks in the playoffs.

I know it's been mentioned before(including by me), but KA really doesn't have to do really anything to the forward group to field a young and up and coming group. 

At center: Thompson, Mittelstadt, Cozens and Girgensons are all under contract.

At RW:  Okposo, Tuch, Quinn (AHL) and JJP (AHL) are under contract.

At LW: Skinner, Asplund, Krebs and Bjork are also under contract.

The only significant RFAs are winger VO (NHL) and C/LW Routsalaien (AHL), whose inspired playoff might have earned him another shot in Buffalo in the fall.

Vinnie Hinostroza in the only UFA of note and I'd like to see him back, but with 14 forwards under contract or control, odds against him returning might be long.

There is also chatter here about bringing in a real center to anchor KO's two way line.  There is also a legit question about how management views Asplund, who is the Sabres best defensive forward, but may still have more offense to give.  Mitts' and Cozens still to prove themselves. 

The simplest option for KA is to stick with what he has by re-signing R2 and VO and let guys like Bjork and R2 prove in camp there are worthy of an NHL roster spot.  Honestly, I have both Quinn and JJP penned into the roster to open next season.  

The status quo forward group

Skinner Thompson Tuch

VO Mitts Quinn/JJP

Asplund Girgensons KO

Krebs Cozens JJP/Quinn

R2 Bjork

Any interest in VO for Fiala?  

I think it would be a mistake keeping the exact same roster, first off although there was cohesion between this group they also were playing knowing nothing was at stake, will there be cohesion when the playoffs are on the line.

I'd like to see upgrades over Vinny Hinostroza, Casey Middlestadt, Jacob Bryson and Craig Anderson. Also we will need to fill in Colin Miller's spot, will Victor Olofsson want to come back? 

Now if that means upgrading through FA, trades or just adding Quinn, Peterka to the lineup. These are just my opinions, I realize not everyone agrees.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.