With the aid of 20/20 hindsight: What is your top 10 NHL redraft?

SDS

2 hours ago, Digger said:

While not necessarily answering the original question of the re-draft of the top 10 I would offer that the Sabres would have been better off trading the #2 overall pick (expected to be Eichel) to the Boston Bruins for picks #13, #14, #15 and Torey Krug.  Buffalo selects Matt Barzal, Kyle Connor, and Thomas Chabot (which were the actual next 3 picks after the Bruins poor and bizarre choices in the draft that year). 

It was well known that the Bruins wanted to move up which is why they acquired the picks by trading Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic.  Boston may have been willing to pay for the chance to get "franchise player" and hometown boy Jack Eichel.

The real dream scenario would have been getting Pastrnak who was an 18 year old rookie for the Bruins that year in place of Krug.

Sabre fans would have freaked if we had traded the 2OA that year after the tank but in hindsight trading it may have led to a quicker way to icing a better balanced team.

Ya, unless we'd have drafted Synyshyn, DeBrusk and Zboril. 

That draft is definitely the thorn in the side of all Bruins fans. The big if only draft. Don't think they were realistically hoping for Eichel though. They had cap problems after the cup win and had to trade people like Lucic away to sort the mess Chiarelli left behind. 

That really was one heck of a draft though. Multiple first rounders rather than one super tank pick would probably have worked out better, that's for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Weave said:

Heh.  I remember when the argument here for tanking was, would you rather try to build around Marner or Barzal?

Man did that suck.

Pretty sure the alternates were Marner & Strome; 1 of which was a total bust, but highly rated heading into the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Here is my top 12 because I thought these 12 separate themselves.

1 -McDavid

2 -Kaprizov

3 -Rantanen

4 -Marner

5 -Aho

6 -Barzal

7 -Connor

8 -Werenski

9 -Eichel

10 -Hintz 

11 -Meier

12 -Chabot 

Am I hating on Eichel?  It’s really just the surgery recovery.  If he’d shown he was back to his ppg+ ways, he would be in the 3-5 range.

I’m super confident about 1-2.

Barzal’s spot is tough to justify based on production, but on another team, away from Trotz, I think he would be a lot more productive.  We’ll see.

This was an amazing draft.

1. McDavid
  2. Marner
  3. Aho
  4. Rantanen
  5. Eichel
  6. Kaprizov
  7. Connor
  8. Barzal
  9. Werenski
  10. Boeser

I can't put Kaprizov higher because you don't get his services until 5 years after the draft. If I have full 20/20 hindsight, my board looks something like this.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Can someone else please post an actual redraft list in here so that we can discuss it?  Geez.

nah, ppl just want to talk about the tank more because that's new and exciting discourse.

In this case its McDavid First...and after him a mix of players that can go anwhere from 2 to about 7....

Eichel, Rantenen, Marner, Aho, Connor, even Werenski.  I think the rest depends on what your team needs and how their personality meshes with your team.  Eichel still might be the best pick for someone else at #2, while for the Sabres one of the other guys might have worked.

2. Marner

3. Aho

4. Johnny

5. Ratanen

6. Connor

7. Kaprizov

8. Barzal

9. Meier 😎

10a. Boeser

10b. Hanifin

I have a coin flip or spinning wheel at #10.

This is how I would rank the players for the #2 pick by the Sabres.  That is all I took into consideration, so there is no consideration of team needs at any pick even #2.  I think if there was a real redraft this is a reasonable ordering of the top 10.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You can't redraft 2015 starting at #2 and expect it to not be about the Sabres who had the #2 pick.

(on a Sabres forum, to boot)

Seriously? OK. Go ahead and start at number one because I’m sure there’s a lot of discussion on who would be number one. I’m sure that would be a wonderful debate. You got me. Who is the first person you would draft from 2015 after seven years of evidence?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Seriously? OK. Go ahead and start at number one because I’m sure there’s a lot of discussion on who would be number one. I’m sure that would be a wonderful debate. You got me. Who is the first person you would draft from 2015 after seven years of evidence?

I'll answer, Zachary Sensyshyn.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

It doesn't seem that he is suggesting starting the redraft at number one.  Mearly that when you start at number 2 the discussion is likely to be a lot about who the Sabres picked at #2.  Why it was not a good pick and who would you select at #2 instead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is based on who I’d pick today to play on my expansion franchise moving forward.

It’s pretty hard to ignore the production of Marner and Rantanen. And, despite the smaller sample size, Kaprizov is right there with those two.

But they are wingers and each has feasted as the sidekick to one of the top centres in the game. You gotta go with the franchise centre, if there is one.

Barzal has that rep, but I don’t think he is that guy; great talent, but more interested in style points than winning. Eichel checks all the boxes and should be the guy based on his toolbox, but the past 2 seasons have raised serious questions.

That leaves one other choice:

1) McDavid

2) Aho

3) Eichel

4) Marner

5) Kaprizov

6) Rantanen

7) Werenski

8 Barzal

9) Chabot

10) Connor

11) Meier

12) Hintz

13) Hanifin

14) Provorov

15) Cirelli

Great question, tough list. Could easily look different on another day.

So from that list, who do you wish was a Sabre (other than McDavid) heading into next year the most? Assuming Buffalo could trade for that person for future considerations and nothing more.

I would probably go for Kaprizov because we still need to find another 60+ goals next season to be really competitive. That would certainly help.

On 5/25/2022 at 6:08 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I still take Eichel but I don’t acquire ROR, Kane, Bogosian and Lehner.

Nothing wrong with ROR.  That was a good move to have Eichel as #2 center and keep the pressure off. 

No Kane, Bogo  or Lehner.  No Bylsma, Housley or Freddie Kruger either. 

• Like (+1) 2

Okay, here’s my redraft top 10.  I still take Eichel at 2 based on talent and potential at the time of the draft.  It’s the Sabres decisions after the draft (trades, coaches, GM’s) that hurt in the long run although I still think the ROR acquisition was a good one (but I won’t take it off topic).

I’m not as big of a fan of Marner as some are.  I do think that Connor and Barzal were real steals that year for where they got drafted.  And Kaprizov.

It was a great draft in hindsight and one where it would have been nice to have multiple picks to really change the team.

1.     Connor McDavid

2.     Jack Eichel

3.     Sebastian Aho

4.     Kirill Kaprizov

5.     Mitchell Marner

6.     Kyle Connor

7.     Mathew Barzal

8.     Mikko Rantanen

9.     Timo Meier

10.   Zach Werenski

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.