(Completely OT): Any experience with Facebook Marketplace or Craiglist?

Eleven

On 5/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, Pimlach said:

If you can’t sell it donate it. 

I often resort to doing this, Remember, if you donate an item, it has a SMALL amount of value that you can attach to it and write it off as a charitable donation on your taxes. For example that old sectional couch you don't want might be worth $100-200 in charitable donation, be sure to get documentation/receipt from the organization you donate to.  

• Like (+1) 1

In terms of donating clothes/goods to AmVets, Salvation Army, etc…

Do not leave goods for them that they cannot resell.  If you do, it then costs them money to get rid off it.

They are not dumping grounds for anything and everything.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

I've used Craigslist a lot back in the day and my wife uses Facebook Marketplace fairly regularly.

I think FB Marketplace gets you higher quality buyers if you are selling something. Just make sure to go higher than what you are willing to sell it for because they will try to negotiate you down. I've had good luck in the past pricing it $50 higher than what I wanted and then "settling" for $50 less, which was what I wanted to get for it anyway.

Just always make sure it's cash...no check or money order.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, KC Scouts said:

I often resort to doing this, Remember, if you donate an item, it has a SMALL amount of value that you can attach to it and write it off as a charitable donation on your taxes. For example that old sectional couch you don't want might be worth $100-200 in charitable donation, be sure to get documentation/receipt from the organization you donate to.  

We donate to local shelters, especially clothes.

• 3 weeks later...

I listed my truck rims on FB Marketplace.  I received a response within 15 minutes of posting them.  Dude has a weird name, isn’t local, seems to be living in the DMV (is that the acronym for around DC), says he’s currently in Brooklyn and is going to have his wife pick them up.  Says he’ll pay me right now.  

His FB profile is kinda weird.  Like I can’t tell if it’s a dude or woman because their profile pics is all over the place.  They have 365 FB friends and has posts going back to 2014.  Still seems fishy to me. 

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

I listed my truck rims on FB Marketplace.  I received a response within 15 minutes of posting them.  Dude has a weird name, isn’t local, seems to be living in the DMV (is that the acronym for around DC), says he’s currently in Brooklyn and is going to have his wife pick them up.  Says he’ll pay me right now.  

His FB profile is kinda weird.  Like I can’t tell if it’s a dude or woman because their profile pics is all over the place.  They have 365 FB friends and has posts going back to 2014.  Still seems fishy to me. 

Fishy enough that I wouldn’t give my address.

I had a similat experience a couple weeks ago selling lawn furniture.  Someone with an off profile that wanted to pay in advance and pick up the next day.  I asked how they intended to pay me and they stated an app that I am not at all familiar with.  I told them I wasn’t going to sign up for an app for a 1 time transaction and I never heard from them again.  I figure it was 75% likely to be a scam.  The next person to contact me was told cash.  Period.  Made the sale in 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

If he meets you with the cash, it's all good. If not, he can ***** right off.

5 hours ago, inkman said:

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Fishy enough that I wouldn’t give my address.

Yep, I'd pick a location at a Police station or Bank to do the meeting, and it'd have to be near somewhere else I need to be so I don't waste the trip.

20 hours ago, inkman said:

Has a prospective buyer message me a couple hours ago.  Sold the rims for $900 cash.  Hell yeah!!  Pretty mush covers the cost of my new tires and rims. 

Congrats! now this will open up a whole New World for you… sell sell sell!!!!!!!  😂

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.