5-25-22 Playoff GDT Game 3 Laval @ Rochester - 7:05 pm AHLTV

inkman

Good run and great development for the kids. They played hard for what they had as a lineup.

Quinn was snake bitten. He had chances but couldn’t bury. He will learn from it.

JJ and Krebs were fantastic throughout the playoffs.

Too bad Muel and UPL couldn’t play any games. R2 made a case for himself but I don’t know where he would fit on the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Would have never gotten to OT at all if Murray hadn't scored twice in the third, so there is that...

I'm kind of philosophical.  I didn't really expect them to get this far.  I wanted them to win it all, but in terms of development a number of Sabres prospects saw high level playoff hockey, and no doubt learned a lot from that.  It's not NHL level playoff hockey, but the experience should help them when the Sabres eventually do make the playoffs.

The playoff run definitely boosted Peterka's stock & it'll be interesting to see how (if) it affected R2 Rou2's.  They were the offensive leaders this playoff run.

Murray finally became visible (in good & bad ways) that final game and hopefully he can build on it.

Quinn's stretch drive & playoffs was disappointing but it just seemed he'd run out of gas though he was finally noticeable at moments in the final 3 games.

Would like to have seen Krebs shoot more often.  We know he can pass, still remains to be seen if he can develop an NHL quality shot.

Thought Rousek looked good in his limited action, will be watching him & Biro next year to see if they can keep developing.  Doesn't look like there's places for them at the next level, but circumstances change & even if the Sabres don't have room for them maybe a team closer to the cap would have a spot & make an offer Adams can't refuse if they continue to grow.

Fitzgerald had 1 bad game but overall wasn't too noticeable which is what you want from him.

Still not sold on Appert but several guys did develop which is what he was tasked with.

And, so nice to see the barn full again.

Be interesting to see what Quinn takes from that experience.

He was more noticeable against Laval but I agree with what was said up-thread: he was squeezing the stick so hard it was a surprise it didn’t snap in his hands.

For me it certainly doesn’t erase the dominant player I watched all year, but it can’t not affect him. The question is how.

Peterka and Krebs on the other hand have to be brimming with confidence after that run. Krebs battled through the rough stuff extremely well and was our most creative forward. Peterka was our best player.

Looking forward to seeing what they do in Buffalo next year.

Also happy that R2 may have put himself back into the picture. I still question whether his AHL game can translate to the next level, and whether the roster will give him the opportunity to shine.

But mad respect for his competitiveness. He was a stone cold warrior.

And, of course, we hopefully get the silver lining of being able to wave goodbye to Aaron Dell.

Edited by dudacek

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Fitzgerald had 1 bad game but overall wasn't too noticeable which is what you want from him.

2G/5A led all Amerks' Dmen in scoring.  -6 in +/- was second worst but I think that may be a reflection of him being played against other teams' top lines.

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, noticeable in a good way.  🍺

I didn't watch the games, only saw highlights but from the limited clips I saw I thought he was prominent in a good way.  At the AHL level he appears to be a top-pairing, scoring Dman.  On the Sabres he's a 6/7 D that provides gritty depth.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So you're saying you could do better? 

I get weary of you in particular pronouncing players hot trash.  Why are you even a fan?

When did I ever call him trash? 

And what does this have to do with me? 

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

100%.   He’s exhausting.   The list of terrible and wrong takes by him should have it’s own thread 

Lucky for you, you will never have to Quinn in an Amerks jersey again 

Please what crazy takes ? 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Be interesting to see what Quinn takes from that experience.

He was more noticeable against Laval but I agree with what was said up-thread: he was squeezing the stick so hard it was a surprise it didn’t snap in his hands.

For me it certainly doesn’t erase the dominant player I watched all year, but it can’t not affect him. The question is how.

Peterka and Krebs on the other hand have to be brimming with confidence after that run. Krebs battled through the rough stuff extremely well and was our most creative forward. Peterka was our best player.

Looking forward to seeing what they do in Buffalo next year.

Also happy that R2 may have put himself back into the picture. I still question whether his AHL game can translate to the next level, and whether the roster will give him the opportunity to shine.

But mad respect for his competitiveness. He was a stone cold warrior.

And, of course, we hopefully get the silver lining of being able to wave goodbye to Aaron Dell.

Hopefully Quinn takes away that he's not strong enough. 

54 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

When did I ever call him trash? 

And what does this have to do with me? 

Please what crazy takes ? 

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

0 goals and 2 points is inexcusable I'm sorry.

Hopefully this is not a trend for Quinn in big games

You didn't use the actual words "hot trash" but calling his play inexcusable is pretty much the same thing.

As for "crazy takes" you are often hyperbolically critical of Sabres players.

What have I told yous guys all along, eh ??

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You didn't use the actual words "hot trash" but calling his play inexcusable is pretty much the same thing.

Most of us deliver our 'hot takes' in a funny way.

PS ... NS (I'm now speaking in the third person all the time- just like Jimmy) no likey the post merge thingie.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Inexcusable is not the same as "trash" in my understanding more  Towards no Excuses when you have that much talent .

But if I'm wrong I apologize 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m not so sure about that. I think there’s a good chance he might be spending a little more time in the A. 

Is it because doing more than any other AHL rookie Sabre prospect in history to earn a recall isn’t good enough, or because the big club is just so stacked there just isn’t any room for him?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

I’m pragmatic, I didn’t think the Amerks were even going to make the playoffs. But I wish it kept going. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

Same here. It was fun while it lasted though. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's great that they got a couple of rounds in.  The experience should pay off.

I still wonder why Quinn didn't have more success (possible injury).  I still look forward to seeing him have a great off-season and training camp (and earn a spot with the Sabres).

The only other thing that bugs me is that Samuelsson didn't play in the post season.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong but they seemed to imply that he was day to day when the Sabres season ended.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

The playoff run definitely boosted Peterka's stock & it'll be interesting to see how (if) it affected R2 Rou2's.  They were the offensive leaders this playoff run.

Murray finally became visible (in good & bad ways) that final game and hopefully he can build on it.

Quinn's stretch drive & playoffs was disappointing but it just seemed he'd run out of gas though he was finally noticeable at moments in the final 3 games.

Would like to have seen Krebs shoot more often.  We know he can pass, still remains to be seen if he can develop an NHL quality shot.

Thought Rousek looked good in his limited action, will be watching him & Biro next year to see if they can keep developing.  Doesn't look like there's places for them at the next level, but circumstances change & even if the Sabres don't have room for them maybe a team closer to the cap would have a spot & make an offer Adams can't refuse if they continue to grow.

Still not sold on Appert but several guys did develop which is what he was tasked with.

And, so nice to see the barn full again.

In your opinion is Chris Taylor a better coach than Appert? There were reports that it was Krueger who was the person who forced him out of the organization because the AHL coach didn't believe that what he was espousing would work in the NHL. The Krueger tenure was such a disaster. I don't know who in the NHL would hire him even for an assistant job.

12 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I wish the Amerks could have the same atmosphere that they did in quebec. I would def drive to Rochester for more games then. 

I get that they are hockey crazy up there, but it was so well done. 

Maybe I'll follow the amerks more closely next year 

I was impressed with the engagement and overall volume of the ROC fans during this run. They didn’t need the scoreboard to tip them to make noise. Lots of organic “let’s go Amerks” chants during play. Fans even started The Wave last night. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Is it because doing more than any other AHL rookie Sabre prospect in history to earn a recall isn’t good enough, or because the big club is just so stacked there just isn’t any room for him?

I’ve been thinking about this. My opinion is that JJ or Quinn should only be called up if they are in the top six mix. I don’t need them trying to play the role of a third or fourth line. Top six wingers seemingly set in stone are Skinner, Tuch, VO, and probably Casey (assuming Tage & Cozens are 1C & 2C). 
It may be antiquated to build a roster that way, but assuming Zemgus & anyone but Eakin are 3C & 4C, I just don’t know if it makes sense for Quinn/JJ to get third line minutes on this team next season.  And KO is set in stone to take one slot of third line winger. 

One or both guys deserve a shot, but, unless an injury…not sure they have a perfect fit opening night.  

I would love to hear your opinion because I find myself nodding my head in agreement whenever you post. 

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In your opinion is Chris Taylor a better coach than Appert? There were reports that it was Krueger who was the person who forced him out of the organization because the AHL coach didn't believe that what he was espousing would work in the NHL. The Krueger tenure was such a disaster. I don't know who in the NHL would hire him even for an assistant job.

I have it on 100% reliable commentary that the day GMKA called Taylor, Chris thought the call was to game plan organizationally for next season. And GMKA told Taylor they were going in another direction.  It was out of left field. Not that you need to “manage someone out in consultation with HR” like in a regular job, but the news was literally a total shock.   To me, this strongly points to GMKA not going rogue to get “his guy” in the role of minor league head coach. This decision was influenced.

I don’t know if Appert is a better coach or not, but those reports you’re referencing are true. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

(sorry to quote you twice)
Aw crap, I forgot about Krebs. So maybe they roll out a kid line, with Krebs, JJ, and Quinn as a third line…and hope they flourish against another team’s third line?

Bottom line for me is I need Cozens in the 2C role.  To me, he’s more qualified than anyone else and his offense is coming. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

What did he do more of than any other AHL rookie Sabres prospect in history?

10 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Inexcusable is not the same as "trash" in my understanding more  Towards no Excuses when you have that much talent .

But if I'm wrong I apologize 

Fair enough... I kind of escalated it by saying hot trash when that's not what you said.

Peace.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I was impressed with the engagement and overall volume of the ROC fans during this run. They didn’t need the scoreboard to tip them to make noise. Lots of organic “let’s go Amerks” chants during play. Fans even started The Wave last night. 

I’ve been thinking about this. My opinion is that JJ or Quinn should only be called up if they are in the top six mix. I don’t need them trying to play the role of a third or fourth line. Top six wingers seemingly set in stone are Skinner, Tuch, VO, and probably Casey (assuming Tage & Cozens are 1C & 2C). 
It may be antiquated to build a roster that way, but assuming Zemgus & anyone but Eakin are 3C & 4C, I just don’t know if it makes sense for Quinn/JJ to get third line minutes on this team next season.  And KO is set in stone to take one slot of third line winger. 

One or both guys deserve a shot, but, unless an injury…not sure they have a perfect fit opening night.  

I would love to hear your opinion because I find myself nodding my head in agreement whenever you post. 

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

(sorry to quote you twice)
Aw crap, I forgot about Krebs. So maybe they roll out a kid line, with Krebs, JJ, and Quinn as a third line…and hope they flourish against another team’s third line?

Bottom line for me is I need Cozens in the 2C role.  To me, he’s more qualified than anyone else and his offense is coming. 

I think that with Tage, Cozens, Mitts, and Krebs as options at centre they won’t lack for talent to play with.

I also think nearly 10 years of having basically 1 or 2 lines has skewed our views about what a 4-line rotation should look like. Playing in the bottom 6 in 2005/06 worked just fine for Vanek, Roy and Pominville.

Just because they probably won’t be among the team’s top wingers doesn’t mean they will be playing only 9 minutes a game or forced into a checking role.

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What did he do more of than any other AHL rookie Sabres prospect in history?

Produce.

Jack Quinn just had one of the 10 most productive AHL rookie seasons on a points per game basis of all-time, and the best in about in 30 years.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.