Choose Love T-Shirts now available with 100% of net proceeds going to support the various Buffalo charities

matter2003

• matter2003 changed the title to Choose Love T-Shirts now available with 100% of net proceeds going to support the various Buffalo charities
4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Sorry, my friend, but all your takes on this tragic event are just mind boggling.

Good. It needed boggling if you think Sabres merch is in any way an answer. Look up asymmetrical warfare. This kid sure got a bang for his buck of random violence.

Edited by PASabreFan

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Good. It needed boggling if you think Sabres merch is in any way an answer. Look up asymmetrical warfare. This kid sure got a bang for his buck of random violence.

I don't think it's an answer to anything.  It's just a way to show support for the city and a way of healing.  Proceeds will be going to the families of the victims or, at least, they better be.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think it's an answer to anything.  It's just a way to show support for the city and a way of healing.  Proceeds will be going to the families of the victims or, at least, they better be.

It's a way to say look at me I pretend to care but Im not going to really do much of anything of meaning. And net proceeds is different from proceeds. It's net proceeds. If you want to donate money, donate the full cost of the shirt directly, cut out the middle man, and forgot the LAMP moment of wearing your memento of this moment.

The Pegulas care. They don't care enough to decide not to siphon 800M dollars out of the community, but they care. They care enough to donate their margin on a t-shirt.

Edited by Contempt

I'm not a fan of the Pegulas, but I feel that they and their organizations have stepped up and done a lot of good in the aftermath of this tragedy. I can't see how more charity and donations towards the affected community is a bad thing, even if it is just the "proceeds".

And I also feel that the "choose love" message is a great universal message, not only for this tragedy, but the world in general.

• Like (+1) 1

@Sabres Fan in NSThis is why I'm critical of the meaningless shows of support. Call it the "thoughts and prayers" movement. It does nothing. 14 more elementary school kids plus their teacher died in Texas today to another 18 year old with a problem that had nothing to do with them. Tshirts and meaningless gestures do nothing. Nothing. Take actions to create immediate real change or sit down.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Contempt said:

@Sabres Fan in NSThis is why I'm critical of the meaningless shows of support. Call it the "thoughts and prayers" movement. It does nothing. 14 more elementary school kids plus their teacher died in Texas today to another 18 year old with a problem that had nothing to do with them. Tshirts and meaningless gestures do nothing. Nothing. Take actions to create immediate real change or sit down.

What else can we do?  We can't change whatever it is that makes these things happen.  They happen for a number of reasons.  You and I and just about everybody else can't make the changes needed to stop all this.

What I can do is send thoughts and prayers and buy a t-shirt to show support forthe community and the victims.  It's not much, but it's all we have.  I think it shows some caring.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It doesn't mean anything to parents of a 7 year old who just got shot and killed. It makes people feel better, convinces us we're doing something ... and promotes a crummy hockey franchise.

I agree with all of this.  I sais it's what I can do to show support for the community and victims, but I realize that the families of those killed do not care about it at all.

I will admit that doing this kind of stuff makes me feel better.  I don't see anything wrong with that since I am powerless to make the changes needed to prevent the next shooting and the one after that and ...

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It doesn't mean anything to parents of a 7 year old who just got shot and killed. It makes people feel better, convinces us we're doing something ... and promotes a crummy hockey franchise.

It could also promote a very good lax team or a very good football team.

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

What else can we do?  We can't change whatever it is that makes these things happen.  They happen for a number of reasons.  You and I and just about everybody else can't make the changes needed to stop all this.

What I can do is send thoughts and prayers and buy a t-shirt to show support forthe community and the victims.  It's not much, but it's all we have.  I think it shows some caring.

You can support politicians that have the power to make change.  You can demand that change of them.  Call all of your elected officials tomorrow and demand to know what they are going to do to address the incredible mental health problem and it's accompanying mental health service problem. What are they DOING to make out-patient services more accessible?  What are they DOING to increase in-patient mental health beds in your community?  What are they DOING to make it easier for a person who is exhibiting serious warning signs to be committed in-voluntarily? What are they DOING to enable schools to secure themselves?  You can demand to know what actions they are going to take to curtail hate and gun violence.  Then you can call them all back every single week asking for follow up. You can convince others to do likewise so that this problem gets addressed in a meaningful way.  The one thing politicians are motivated by is re-election and if they all, on both sides of the aisle, are getting pressure from large portions of their constituents to do something about this issue then they will do it.  Right now we give the problem lip service and so do they.  Forcing a system to make change takes more than slogans, tshirts, and flying the flag at half mast. 

And you're right, you as an individual don't have that much clout.  I'll betcha if I had 5 billion dollars I'd have some more clout.  Who do I know that has 5 billion dollars....hmmmmm....  What if, rather than arguing about tax policy and using their money to support people who promise to keep them as rich as possible, the uber wealthy supported people who actually wanted to fix actual problems like innocent people getting massacred on a weekly basis?>  How about if Elon Musk stopped whining about Twitter and starting talking about this issue and he and Bezos put some of their money behind fixing mental health instead of flying themselves to space we'd be closer to a solution?  Do you think if wealthy or powerful people were getting shot up at this rate that there wouldn't be some quick action?  How about if 15 police officers were killed on the same day in any city.  Think something might happen pretty quick?  I'm not advocating for that. I'm merely pointing out that this is WHY nothing happens.  The people who make decisions are able to insulate themselves from this issue so it doesn't matter to them personally. Since it doesn't matter to them personally

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Which is why it pisses me off and part of why nothing happens in the end.  Everyone does this, self-medicates and moves on.  I'm tired of doing that.  It's not about making you feel better. It's about fixing the problem.  When you feel better, but haven't done anything, your motivation to actually see it through is gone. 

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I agree with all of this.  I sais it's what I can do to show support for the community and victims,

and it isn't what you CAN do.  It's what you CHOOSE to do.  It's also the incredibly easy thing.