Mike Myers appeared on Colbert in a Sabres sweater...

Eleven

1 minute ago, Weave said:

They will have their access greatly diminished over time.  None of this will change quickly.  And none of this swill be perfect.  We don't need perfect.  We need better than what it is now.

What’s funny is that we both likely have guns that we will have to forfeit.

I’m fine with it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

They will have their access greatly diminished over time.  None of this will change quickly.  And none of this swill be perfect.  We don't need perfect.  We need better than what it is now.

That is pithy and to the point and I like it.

unfortunately in the meantime… Those criminals who will have access to those assault rifles for quite a while, while it diminishes… Many people will be fish in a barrel. With no private citizen to help fight fire with equal fire when the ***** goes down and no police presence can get there for 5-10 mins. But I appreciate the overall desire and potential solution as PART of other prongs too.

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

unfortunately in the meantime… Those criminals who will have access to those assault rifles for quite a while, while it diminishes… Many people will be fish in a barrel. With no private citizen to help fight fire with equal fire when the ***** goes down and no police presence can get there for 5-10 mins. But I appreciate the overall desire and potential solution as PART of other prongs too.

Not trying to be a dick (well, maybe I am, wait, no, in this case I’m actually not trying to be a dick), but has this actually ever happened? 

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Your scenario has never played out.  There has not been any good guy with an assault rifle saves world from bad guy with an assault rifle incidents.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Your scenario has never played out.  There has not been any good guy with an assault rifle saves world from bad guy with an assault rifle incidents.

I don’t mean to say it HAS happened. I mean to say … the option (while the years of diminishing happen) will be off the table to a private citizen. The option to be in equal playing field. The option. That’s all I’m stating. 
And there’s no need to start down the whole “save the world from the bad guy” rhetoric. 😔

anyway … I don’t know if some are aware of this …

Handguns more lethal than rifles in mass shootings 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-gunshots-idUSKCN1OU11G

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

And to be clear, I’m not posting that for some perceived “anti-assault rifle ban” legislation mumbo jumbo. But just to add context to what some may think. Just food for thought.

Are fully automatic weapons pretty much banned to be owned by the general public in most of the US? Yes.

But they are faaaaaar from extinct to criminals who want to get them. And they do. And so if the “Assault rifle” is banned. I believe the same thing will happen. They will eventually be reduced but never extinct. But I’m certainly for reducing them as part of a multiprong approach to achieving less murders at the hands of those who should never have any gun.

Some states need to wake the F up and adopt better legislation to have a more robust and thorough handgun license procedure. That will most likely catch a few nut jobs before they can legally purchase a handgun or any gun. It won’t stop the nut jobs from acquiring one illegally unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t mean to say it HAS happened. I mean to say … the option (while the years of diminishing happen) will be off the table to a private citizen. The option to be in equal playing field. The option. That’s all I’m stating. 
And there’s no need to start down the whole “save the world from the bad guy” rhetoric. 😔

You were treading on fiction.  it was rhetoric worthy.  The idea that an arms race among decent people is a worthwhile outcome is, well..... not worthwhile.

And just curious, when was the last time you saw a news item about a fully automatic weapon used in a crime?  That's exactly where we need to get to with the assault rifle debate.

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yeah, its an effective tool.  For sure.  

All but a couple of those cases would arguably have ended the same with a legally owned handgun or shotgun.

it really comes down to a basic tenement of safety.  If you have a piece of equipment that overwhelmingly is used in a dangerous or unsafe way, you control access to that piece of equipment.

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

You were treading on fiction.  it was rhetoric worthy.  The idea that an arms race among decent people is a worthwhile outcome is, well..... not worthwhile.

And just curious, when was the last time you saw a news item about a fully automatic weapon used in a crime?  That's exactly where we need to get to with the assault rifle debate.

Wasn’t the Las Vegas mass shooting done with fully automatic? I may be mistaken. 

Or he converted it to fully automatic with a bump stock. I may be mistaken.

Edited by Zamboni

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Wasn’t the Las Vegas mass shooting done with fully automatic? I may be mistaken. 

Bump stock.  Work around for the same effect.  Ok.  Next one.

THIS is rhetorical.  You get my point.  They are rare because access is severely restricted.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Too bad we can’t read about 213 incidents of people being saved by a gun in the first 145 days of the year vs. 213 mass shootings in the first 145 days of the year. 

Stupid liberal media.

• Haha (+1) 1