Mike Myers appeared on Colbert in a Sabres sweater...

Eleven

More guns the answer? I think there was a church shooting in Texas where a parishioner put an end to it. But now we have two in a row where the shooter was met with a good guy with a gun and was not able to be stopped.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jsb said:

Just in case you think maybe the Texas Republican Party will take a different look at gun control

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/abbott-cruz-to-attend-nra-convention-days-after-texas-school-shooting/2976742/

I have this irrational hope that those two will coordinate a response to the effect of, "The party's over, NRA, and we want your help in getting a lid on this thing."  But logically I know that ain't happening.  It would be one way Abbott in particular could boost his re-election campaign considering the hits he's taken about the February Freeze last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Responsible legal gun ownership. By and large, Not the problem. 

mentally disturbed people. It’s a problem and help and treatment is severely underfunded. It’s very sad.

illegal gun/stolen gun ownership. 

There is not hard-core severe punishment and penalties for illegally owning guns or possessing stolen guns. there’s too many slap on the wrists with those who have stolen guns in their possession or illegal guns. That may not deter The mentally disturbed individuals… But it certainly would deter a good portion of those who are not, and intend to do harm with those illegal or stolen guns.

I bet everyone of those parents in the school shooting… And every family of the slain individuals and Buffalo… Wish there were more armed individuals to immediately eliminate the threat as it happened in that moment of real time.

I know that if I was a parent of one of those school kids I would want more responsible gun owners in that school and are willing to take on any immediate threat to the safety of my kid and all kids.

and I know someone who has a friend and their family member died in the Buffalo shooting. And that is exactly what they said… That they wish more people were armed at that time in that store at that moment to eliminate that immediate threat. Before the police even arrived. And they were not the only family members Who had loved ones die that day, to expressed that thought. 

most of the time… when there is an active shooter, You cannot wait around for the police to save the day AND keep the body count as low as possible.

I think the solution is a combination of a bunch of things… But the politicians spouting ONLY more gun control and the ignorant masses who agree with it… I don’t think is the solution. It’s gotta be a combination of a few things. There aren’t enough hard-core punishments against those who have illegal guns, or stolen guns just in their possession… Let alone in the commission of a crime. Start there. Better mental health evaluations and checks. Start there also. Then see if that helps with this ugly scourge. And if those two things don’t do it… Then move on and look at other solutions. 

At least that’s how I see it.

How many of these recent mass shootings have involved guns illegally obtained?  I honestly can’t think of any.  The only thing illegal about what the ***** that shot up Buffalo was he obtained some larger capacity magazines than NY allows. 

The problem with trying to maintain the status quo with responsible gun ownership is, we as a society have shown over and over that we just aren’t responsible enough with this sort of weaponry and body armor to have virtually unfettered access.  The data is tight in front of our noses.  

And the idea of a good guy with a gun had been pretty much eliminated now that all of these ***** heads wear body armor.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I have this irrational hope that those two will coordinate a response to the effect of, "The party's over, NRA, and we want your help in getting a lid on this thing."  But logically I know that ain't happening.  It would be one way Abbott in particular could boost his re-election campaign considering the hits he's taken about the February Freeze last year.

If the GOP was ever serious about getting back the goodwill of the average voter…. can you imagine the bump in approval rating they’d get among soccer moms everywhere if they told the NRA now that it is time to end this silliness?

Responsible legal nuke ownership. By and large, Not the problem. 

mentally disturbed people. It’s a problem and help and treatment is severely underfunded. It’s very sad.

illegal nuke/stolen nuke ownership. 

There is not hard-core severe punishment and penalties for illegally owning nukes or possessing stolen nukes. there’s too many slap on the wrists with those who have stolen nukes in their possession or illegal nukes. That may not deter The mentally disturbed individuals… But it certainly would deter a good portion of those who are not, and intend to do harm with those illegal or stolen nukes.

I bet everyone of those parents in the school shooting… And every family of the slain individuals and Buffalo… Wish there were more nukes to immediately eliminate the threat as it happened in that moment of real time.

I know that if I was a parent of one of those school kids I would want more responsible nuke owners in that school and are willing to take on any immediate threat to the safety of my kid and all kids.

and I know someone who has a friend and their family member died in the Buffalo shooting. And that is exactly what they said… That they wish more people had nukes at that time in that store at that moment to eliminate that immediate threat. Before the police even arrived. And they were not the only family members Who had loved ones die that day, to expressed that thought. 

most of the time… when there is an active nuker, You cannot wait around for the police to save the day AND keep the body count as low as possible.

I think the solution is a combination of a bunch of things… But the politicians spouting ONLY more nuke control and the ignorant masses who agree with it… I don’t think is the solution. It’s gotta be a combination of a few things. There aren’t enough hard-core punishments against those who have illegal nukes, or stolen nukes just in their possession… Let alone in the commission of a crime. Start there. Better mental health evaluations and checks. Start there also. Then see if that helps with this ugly scourge. And if those two things don’t do it… Then move on and look at other solutions. 

Why any gun control at all? Arm everyone with nukes.

The 2nd amendment should be absolute. Anything less is just a conspiracy by the Dems and the elites to keep us responsible nuke owners down. 🤠🚀

17 minutes ago, Weave said:

If the GOP was ever serious about getting back the goodwill of the average voter…. can you imagine the bump in approval rating they’d get among soccer moms everywhere if they told the NRA now that it is time to end this silliness?

I know, right?  Although the soccer moms in Texas already support him for the most part.

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

They don't really, though. They're going to keep targeting the 25% of people that are way off on the right because they know they'll show up at the voting booth.

Responsible legal gun ownership. By and large, Not the problem. 

I bet everyone of those parents in the school shooting… And every family of the slain individuals and Buffalo… Wish there were more armed individuals to immediately eliminate the threat as it happened in that moment of real time.

I know that if I was a parent of one of those school kids I would want more responsible gun owners in that school and are willing to take on any immediate threat to the safety of my kid and all kids.

The AR15s used in the two recent mass shootings were legally purchased.

Setting aside whether it's good or even practicable policy to have more "good guys with guns" in the schools, the fact is that, in Ulvada, the cops were there when the gunman emerged from a disabled vehicle in order to access the school. The cops did not stop him, could not stop him. The cops. In the case of Buffalo, we had a retired cop on the scene. A good guy with a gun. He could not stop the bad guy. And as I think @Weave noted: These bad actors are now customarily clad in body armor. Setting aside the question of policy: Good guys with guns are not part of the solution. That's been borne out by the facts.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This remains fair and accurate. An awful and ugly truth.

Edited by That Aud Smell

and I know someone who has a friend and their family member died in the Buffalo shooting. And that is exactly what they said… That they wish more people were armed at that time in that store at that moment to eliminate that immediate threat. Before the police even arrived. And they were not the only family members Who had loved ones die that day, to expressed that thought.

To me this points to the "cultural differences" argument.

My perception is a significant  number of Americans feel there is a reasonable chance they might be threatened by someone with a gun.

My perception is very few Canadians feel there is a reasonable chance they might be threatened by someone with a gun.

I don't know if my perceptions are accurate, but if they are they certainly raise an important question as to why such a difference exists.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I've read the claim the cops on the scene made that the Uvalde shooter was wearing body armor is now in dispute.

Seems unlikely from reports last night that police engaged the shooter in a fire fight before he entered the school and the armour saved him.

I have not followed since yesterday evening and those reports may be defunct now.

Just now, dudacek said:

My perception is a significant  number of Americans feel there is a reasonable chance they might be threatened by someone with a gun.

My perception is very few Canadians feel there is a reasonable chance they might be threatened by someone with a gun.

I don't know if my perceptions are accurate, but if they are they certainly raise an important question as to why such a difference exists.

It's entirely intentional, fed from the top down.  Look at the words being used by a certain side of the political divide in this country.  Capital D Democrats are a satanic pedophile cabal.  Antifa!  Immigrants are monsters coming here to destroy and replace us, the good white folks.  Women must not control their own bodies in order to preserve the supply of children we need as grist for the mill.  Any woman who tries it, or any body who helps her, is a monster that must be killed.  

Add that to gun culture, which is of course stoked and fought for by the same people, and the desired result occurs with sadly predictable regularity.  It's only a matter of (probably not much) time until the next one.  Keep the people in fear and they don't have the ability to address or even worry about how hard they're being screwed for the benefit of the very few.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

It's entirely intentional, fed from the top down.  Look at the words being used by a certain side of the political divide in this country.  Capital D Democrats are a satanic pedophile cabal.  Antifa!  Immigrants are monsters coming here to destroy and replace us, the good white folks.  Women must not control their own bodies in order to preserve the supply of children we need as grist for the mill.  Any woman who tries it, or any body who helps her, is a monster that must be killed.  

Add that to gun culture, which is of course stoked and fought for by the same people, and the desired result occurs with sadly predictable regularity.  It's only a matter of (probably not much) time until the next one.  Keep the people in fear and they don't have the ability to address or even worry about how hard they're being screwed for the benefit of the very few.

This sounds like something taken from the Rachel Maddow show 😂

But seriously … name-calling does nothing on either side of the political aisle. And only the ignorant eat up those name calling labels. Things are much more nuanced and contextualized than broad stroke brushing of an issue that the media and politicians love to do on either side of the political aisle. Both parties are pretty ugly for various reasons.

I love hearing and watching long formatted Conversations that are  respectful, void of ignorant name-calling, and both sides give concessions to achieve a solution. The best thing you can hope for is both sides don’t like what the final solution is, because it often means that the solution is a combination of both sides giving up something to achieve the greater good or best solution. Common ground. But the problem lies when one party thinks only their ideas are the greater good and must be right. Which of course is very shortsighted and ignorant. At least that’s how I see it.
Politicians who score political points on the backs of dead innocent humans is an ugly thing. But you’ll see in the 24 hour news cycle… Plenty of news outlets giving a voice to those ignorant politicians to score those ignorant political points. And sadly a good chunk of the public will eat it up and spit it back out to anyone who  will listen tomorrow. And defend it without knowing what they are doing or saying.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Oh I don't disagree.  I think easy access to guns, esp. assault rifles, is a big problem too.  For gun control solutions I'd be interested in studying Australia and Switzerland.  Australia is similar in many ways to the U.S.; probably the only other country of any size with a similar rugged individualism ethos, and with a long history of personal gun ownership.  After Port Arthur there was a national will to prevent recurrence and they've been by and large successful.  I just don't see that happening in the U.S. but I'd be interested in trying.

Switzerland is the other extreme with a very high rate of gun ownership, but also most adult males serve in the militia and have training.  While many people own guns in Switzerland, ammo is fairly tightly controlled, as is the carrying/transport of guns.

I think either way would be successful if implemented in the U.S. but trying to pass *any* gun control legislation is supremely difficult here.

The Australian NFA has been a success. Creative solutions are out there. We just need the political will to implement them. 

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Irrational hope? More like all out crazy hope. Abbott and Co. are advocating arming teachers as the solution. Any thought of them doing anything constructive about the problem is nuts. This is a state where it’s legal to open carry an assault rifle. And you don’t even NEED a license to do it. Gotta love Texas.

Make it hard for people to participate in democracy, make it easy to carry killing machines.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Per the bold, it’s estimated that there are 120.5 guns per 100 people in the US. In Canada it’s 34.7 guns per 100 people. 

I’d say we have good reason to think there’s a reasonable chance to be threatened by a gun here. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Irrational hope? More like all out crazy hope... This is a state where it’s legal to open carry an assault rifle

You don't think I know this?  I live in Texas.

34 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, it’s estimated that there are 120.5 guns per 100 people in the US. In Canada it’s 34.7 guns per 100 people. 

I’d say we have good reason to think there’s a reasonable chance to be threatened by a gun here. 

I believe I also read that something like 90% of Americans *don't* own a gun (might be a different number; going of my increasingly leaky memory here).  The point is that the people who own guns own a LOT of them, and the vast majority of people don't own guns.